Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Nov 14, 2014 at 5:49 PM Post #3,766 of 150,630
Eastern Europe is a good place, it appears (speculative!), to make at least some types of audio equipment.  Low entry costs in audio, no need for mass production, along with people with technical backgrounds.  I just ordered Sierra 2 speakers and I see the RAAL tweeter is designed (made?) in Serbia, by a firm that started up in 1993 by a student.

Nov 15, 2014 at 10:07 AM Post #3,772 of 150,630
Would be cool if ragnarok and gungnir can transform into floating spaceship or proves itself to be space-worthy...

That aside, is it possible to have dac/amp schiit combo any time before the kingdom comes?

Fulla should be out soon. I suspect all their higher-end products will remain as separate amps and DACs though.

Nov 15, 2014 at 2:59 PM Post #3,773 of 150,630
  Someone in Poland is making very high-end Mastering Monitors , very high tech .

Tony in Michigan

Had to find out about that from an American site...

What's the name of the company?

Nov 15, 2014 at 8:37 PM Post #3,774 of 150,630
I really like the new PDF and the idea of pulling the various bits together into 1 package. Please take everything below with a huge amount of salt; I have 0 paid professional experience with publishing.

General Comments

I understand why you have the varying widths for the left margin (so that things look good if the document is printed) but I don't think too many people will be printing this out. It may be better to optimize for screen reading. If you do, then I'd suggest switching to a serif font and making the margins identical throughout. Then you can also get rid of the blank pages.

Part ___ Pages:
  1. I think you can omit the page numbers on these pages; it will look cleaner.

("Business Lesson 2:…") and other similar blurbs
  1. Since the text is a little too wide for a single line, maybe "Ever." should be indented to line up with "Don't ship stuff that blows up". That way, the phrase will look connected to "Don't ship stuff that blows up." rather than "Business Lesson 2".

Fun Facts/Interludes/Asides/Other Little Boxes:
I like how you set off the "Fun facts" . They're a nice break for the eyes. Since they float on their own, you can even get rid of the colon and just use "Fun Fact". The same goes for "Asides", especially since you already omit the colon for Interludes.

I also noticed that sometimes, there's a blank line under the box and other times (e.g. pages 42 and 91) there isn't. It should be consistent.

Links to other web pages:
  1. The light blue box is really jarring and seems to come from out of nowhere. Please keep it consistent with the way you do links in the Table of Contents.
  2. I see that some of the URLs are hyperlinks and some aren't. Consider making all of them links or all of them not links.

Page-specific nitpicking...

Cover page:
  1. Looks a little odd without an author/editor name.

Page 2:
  1. Wait, isn't this page 1? (Normally, cover pages aren't counted or, if they are, they're counted with tiny Roman numerals)
  1. It looks more like a forward, preface, or introduction; it was really strange to see the "2" up there.

Table of Contents:
  1. Great idea!
  1. Maybe you could make the text blue or underline it; the red boxes are a bit jarring and make it harder to read the chapter titles

Page 85:
  1. The whitespace between the 2 boxes can be trimmed down to 1 line break.

Page 231:
  1. Missing a line break between "Or take a long constitutional…" and "Why can't you take me…"

Nov 15, 2014 at 11:13 PM Post #3,775 of 150,630
  soooo... a few people here have requested a pdf version of schiit's story, so i took the liberty of compiling one. and since i got the ok from jason, you can download a preliminary/beta (!) version here:

schiithappened-2014-11-12.pdf

(i don't seem to have the right to create attachments, hence the mega-link...)

since this is my first take on a full-fledged book, i'm open for suggestions/criticism/praise/etc regarding...

1. general layout / visual style
  2. formatting
  3. structuring (especially the chapters with mike's, alex' and rina's stories)
  4. consistency
  5. etc.

no, it's not yet finished. yes, it already has more than 400 pages
biggrin.gif

enjoy the reading, i'm awaiting your feedback!

greetings,

ampair

ps: i haven't yet tried to convert it into an epub version, but i surely will. if i'm successful, i'll post it.

Haven't read it, yet, but sure seems promising and could possibly turn into an eBook.

Nov 16, 2014 at 5:18 AM Post #3,777 of 150,630

Antelope 

... ... ... Computer Interface to control it ( plug in ) ... ... ...  What's not to like ?

Just that.

What's not to like? Anything that says you must use Windows (or Mac) to use (or use all the features of) this device.

Of course, if that isn't how it works, then the only thing not to like would be that I couldn't afford it. :)

Nov 16, 2014 at 6:32 AM Post #3,778 of 150,630
  I really like the new PDF and the idea of pulling the various bits together into 1 package. Please take everything below with a huge amount of salt; I have 0 paid professional experience with publishing.

General Comments

I understand why you have the varying widths for the left margin (so that things look good if the document is printed) but I don't think too many people will be printing this out. It may be better to optimize for screen reading. If you do, then I'd suggest switching to a serif font and making the margins identical throughout. Then you can also get rid of the blank pages.

Part ___ Pages:
  1. I think you can omit the page numbers on these pages; it will look cleaner.

("Business Lesson 2:…") and other similar blurbs
  1. Since the text is a little too wide for a single line, maybe "Ever." should be indented to line up with "Don't ship stuff that blows up". That way, the phrase will look connected to "Don't ship stuff that blows up." rather than "Business Lesson 2".

Fun Facts/Interludes/Asides/Other Little Boxes:
I like how you set off the "Fun facts" . They're a nice break for the eyes. Since they float on their own, you can even get rid of the colon and just use "Fun Fact". The same goes for "Asides", especially since you already omit the colon for Interludes.

I also noticed that sometimes, there's a blank line under the box and other times (e.g. pages 42 and 91) there isn't. It should be consistent.

Links to other web pages:
  1. The light blue box is really jarring and seems to come from out of nowhere. Please keep it consistent with the way you do links in the Table of Contents.
  2. I see that some of the URLs are hyperlinks and some aren't. Consider making all of them links or all of them not links.

Page-specific nitpicking...

Cover page:
  1. Looks a little odd without an author/editor name.

Page 2:
  1. Wait, isn't this page 1? (Normally, cover pages aren't counted or, if they are, they're counted with tiny Roman numerals)
  1. It looks more like a forward, preface, or introduction; it was really strange to see the "2" up there.

Table of Contents:
  1. Great idea!
  1. Maybe you could make the text blue or underline it; the red boxes are a bit jarring and make it harder to read the chapter titles

Page 85:
  1. The whitespace between the 2 boxes can be trimmed down to 1 line break.

Page 231:
  1. Missing a line break between "Or take a long constitutional…" and "Why can't you take me…"

thanks a lot for the feedback, this is exactly what i was asking for :)
i'll incorporate as much as possible and put a new version up when jason releases the next chapter.

Nov 16, 2014 at 6:36 AM Post #3,779 of 150,630

Hello Thad-E-Ginathom in India ,

Yes , I agree .   

I'm suspecting that Plug-ins are part of the Pro Audio World .   I'm hoping for full-manual use capability .  Antelope aim their stuff at Audiophiles as well as the Recording People who are both Manual controls and Plug-in computer interface users . 
Affordability is another point , a valid good point .   Highest Performance DACs get pricy .  Good DACs are quite affordable , Better DACs range from $500 US to $2,000 US .  The Best start at $2,500 range up to $50,000 .   Phew !!  

I'm hoping for the Best Quality to drop in price ( aren't we all ) .

Nice hearing from you ,

I have a nice bit of music from A.R.Ramon called Mondo India and a few other India Artist's CDs , very beautiful !  I can't find much here in the States but I'm always looking. 

Tony in Michigan 

Nov 16, 2014 at 7:50 AM Post #3,780 of 150,630

thanks a lot for the feedback, this is exactly what i was asking for :)
i'll incorporate as much as possible and put a new version up when jason releases the next chapter.

Thanks for all your work on this.  I'm looking forward to the final version.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back