Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Nov 13, 2014 at 12:20 AM Post #3,736 of 151,950
  I have a feeling that Jason was pointing a finger at the Geek Pulse and other LH Labs campaigns in the "couldas" examples!!
The campaigns were complex and the range of choices, though awesome were bewildering!!

I browsed that thread after it was mentioned here and all I could think is "what a cluster*#@!"  Disaster in the making.  The ever branching product line and money down preorders and endless funding campaigns was sort of kafkaesque.  Fanboys lap it up of course.  

Nov 13, 2014 at 12:41 AM Post #3,737 of 151,950
I browsed that thread after it was mentioned here and all I could think is "what a cluster*#@!"  Disaster in the making.  The ever branching product line and money down preorders and endless funding campaigns was sort of kafkaesque.  Fanboys lap it up of course.  

The other folks that lap it up are those that can afford a $600 buy in and wait a year, for a product that competes with others 2x-5x as expensive.

Pulse campaign was relative clear I thought, Wave (and rebooted) campaign got a tad nuts with combo perk-mania and Source piggyback at the end.

Nov 13, 2014 at 1:19 AM Post #3,738 of 151,950

Complex range of choices Can be done properly , no problem !
   Check out the Ford F-150 order form .  All of Automotive and Transportation Industry is Custom Orders .  Homes too are all Custom Orders , as are All Clothing , Health Care is 100% Custom , all iMacs are Custom , all headphone selections you make amount to a Custom System that only you own !   
 I'm trying to think of something/anything that isn't Custom , hmm , certainly not headphones , Balanced or Unbalanced ? , your choice , USB , Toslink or S/Pdif ? , don't like those options ? how about Analog ? , not quite right ? we'll find something , how about USB 2 or maybe USB 3 ? or maybe that new Apple lightning ?  
I'm willing to accept one size fits all that Schiit offer , namely the cost/performance ratio is low risk , otherwise I'll go with the SPL Phonitor 2 in White with all the Bells & Whistles in 110v the 1x & 2.5x gain option , no remote .
  Everything in life is optional , Schiit isn't but it's only because they're a start-up not able to manage the risks of doing Options , They will get to a point where their Top Range will be totally optioned out .
For now Schiit is Good - Better - with Best just being released partially . When they have the standard Good better best going strong full options will follow , it's the way manufacturing consumer products works .  Hell , even JDS Labs does options  !   

Sorry to pop anyone's bubble ,

Tony in Michigan 

Nov 13, 2014 at 1:56 AM Post #3,739 of 151,950

Complex range of choices Can be done properly , no problem !
   Check out the Ford F-150 order form .  All of Automotive and Transportation Industry is Custom Orders .  Homes too are all Custom Orders , as are All Clothing , Health Care is 100% Custom , all iMacs are Custom , all headphone selections you make amount to a Custom System that only you own !   
 I'm trying to think of something/anything that isn't Custom , hmm , certainly not headphones , Balanced or Unbalanced ? , your choice , USB , Toslink or S/Pdif ? , don't like those options ? how about Analog ? , not quite right ? we'll find something , how about USB 2 or maybe USB 3 ? or maybe that new Apple lightning ?  
I'm willing to accept one size fits all that Schiit offer , namely the cost/performance ratio is low risk , otherwise I'll go with the SPL Phonitor 2 in White with all the Bells & Whistles in 110v the 1x & 2.5x gain option , no remote .
  Everything in life is optional , Schiit isn't but it's only because they're a start-up not able to manage the risks of doing Options , They will get to a point where their Top Range will be totally optioned out .
For now Schiit is Good - Better - with Best just being released partially . When they have the standard Good better best going strong full options will follow , it's the way manufacturing consumer products works .  Hell , even JDS Labs does options  !   

Sorry to pop anyone's bubble ,

Tony in Michigan 

To LH Lab's credits their campaigns ended up many times larger than they planned, both in terms of scope and scale. Plus the biggest "mistake" they made was to make it crowd designed. This made for a perfect storm for time-to-market. As budget increased, possibilities increase and so do the suggestions and requests. They did not (and I'm not sure why they didn't) appear to have had a sit down and decided on a particular option range and to stick with that until the thing is shipped so things kept on changing. What must also have an important role is that the competition also changed so you effectively had a game where the rules were constantly changing, the goals constantly moving and the filed was also going up and down on its own accord. As and engineer, I wouldn't want to work on their project for fear that it might never end. I'm sure the Pulse will turn out to be great (I bloody well hope so, I'm down for a Soul tube!) but it'd be a miracle if they can ship mine before mid 2015.

While LH seems to be making what the market wants, Schiit wants to make what Schiit wants. And that's a pretty good thing cos I think they want to make the best stuff they can and from what I've owned, their best equals or betters others best regardless of price. Which is why I'm most likely to get a Rag+Yaggy combo when they're both ready.

Nov 13, 2014 at 9:43 AM Post #3,741 of 151,950
  Compared to the insanity of the Wave campaign, the Pulse campaign was relatively mundane. I think there are over 560+ possible Wave variants.

That's ironic given your forum avatar 
beerchug.gif

Nov 13, 2014 at 10:10 AM Post #3,742 of 151,950

thanks :) and if it works with calibre i would be glad, would save me some work fuzzing around with LaTeX to epub conversion, which isn't too easy from what i've heard.

more like third person, i guess... something like this?
"and jason spoke, 'let there be circlotron layout,' and there was created the mighty mjolnir..."

tongue.gif

What about using LaTeX to HTML and then converting that to epub?

Nov 13, 2014 at 10:50 AM Post #3,743 of 151,950
  Schiit wants to make what Schiit wants. 

Actually, that's only partially correct. No manufacturer can simply produce "what they want." Without market acceptance, they soon won't be in business.  I'll refer you back to the chapter in the book where I discuss our overall philosophy. To paraphrase: fun, affordable products that are true to the music.

A more accurate statement is that we make products that are:

1. Congruent with our philosophy.
2. Meet a market need.
3. Designed to exceed or obviate other products in similar categories.
4. Based on a whole buttload of decades of experience, and many, many thousands of hours keeping up on the current market.

Because, as I've said before, if we don't have a defined philosophy, a clear direction, we'll simply be blown every which way...and who knows where we'll land.

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Nov 13, 2014 at 11:02 AM Post #3,744 of 151,950
Because, as I've said before, if we don't have a defined philosophy, a clear direction, we'll simply be blown every which way...and who knows where we'll land.

+1, more companies need to learn this.

Nov 13, 2014 at 12:25 PM Post #3,745 of 151,950
  What about using LaTeX to HTML and then converting that to epub?

that was my plan, yes. but i'm not expecting it to be hassle-free...

Nov 13, 2014 at 1:40 PM Post #3,746 of 151,950
Jason, when you say Isolation transformer to reduce AC noise, do you mean one of these:

http://www.tripplite.com/isolation-transformer-based-power-conditioner-1000w-line-noise-reduction-spike-suppression~IS1000/

I would think the transformer would introduce its own hum or noise?

Nov 13, 2014 at 2:18 PM Post #3,747 of 151,950
  Jason, when you say Isolation transformer to reduce AC noise, do you mean one of these:

http://www.tripplite.com/isolation-transformer-based-power-conditioner-1000w-line-noise-reduction-spike-suppression~IS1000/

I would think the transformer would introduce its own hum or noise?

As I understand it (and this is where I start getting confused, so bear with me), an isolation transformer removes DC noise but transfers AC noise. I believe they also offer a certain amount of large inductor capability, smoothing out the peaks drawn from the wall. Would love to hear somebody that really understands this stuff provide a more accurate explanation, however.

Nov 13, 2014 at 2:55 PM Post #3,748 of 151,950

...offering Fulla in 7 different titanium finishes with three choices of input, four power supplies, five form factors, and (my favourite) an optional built-in ADC for a total of 840 SKUs...

Whee! What fun! 
L3000.gif

Nov 13, 2014 at 4:14 PM Post #3,750 of 151,950
I've been enjoying this thread so much - I finally crumbled and decided to step in some Schiit myself...

I was so keen to get it set up and auditioned, I didn't get round to sticking on the rubber feet - now done that!
Loving my little Schiit... 
atsmile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back