Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Nov 12, 2014 at 1:47 PM Post #3,721 of 151,943
  ...there are a handful of examples that can justify the price based on performance or principles (I'm thinking of discrete resistor ladder DACs and the like, which are eye-wateringly expensive to get right)...

You had me worried there for a second, but then I saw the all important 'discrete'.  Yggy 20 bit  R2R is on a chip.

Now I just need to guess how the deglitching works.  I assume SH can be done at these frequencies without too much SH glitching.

Viz. 'nice to have' stuff with Yggy 2, I'm wondering about DSP crossovers done right.

Update: thinking about this a bit more, I can start to see some issues.  Doing this with the full R2R Yggy 2 channel set-up gets you to basically two Yggys in a box, one for the the regular 2 channels and one for the bass 2 channels.  One could probably get around this by going for a cheaper DS solution for the bass...is that the right place to economize?

Nov 12, 2014 at 2:15 PM Post #3,722 of 151,943
Nov 12, 2014 at 4:42 PM Post #3,724 of 151,943
C'mon ... join the Borg ...
smily_headphones1.gif

I'm building my PCs since mid 90s and hasn't grown over it yet. 
redface.gif

Nov 12, 2014 at 5:32 PM Post #3,726 of 151,943
I don't think so Jason was pointing at LHLabs, just hi end in general besides as a backer for them we got a very good price so well something's gotta give. He operates differently than Larry Ho and there's space for everyone in this market.

Putting that aside, step into a high end audio or home theater shop and as he says, the options will drive you mad.

Nov 12, 2014 at 5:37 PM Post #3,727 of 151,943
soooo... a few people here have requested a pdf version of schiit's story, so i took the liberty of compiling one. and since i got the ok from jason, you can download a preliminary/beta (!) version here:

schiithappened-2014-11-12.pdf

(i don't seem to have the right to create attachments, hence the mega-link...)

since this is my first take on a full-fledged book, i'm open for suggestions/criticism/praise/etc regarding...

1. general layout / visual style
  2. formatting
  3. structuring (especially the chapters with mike's, alex' and rina's stories)
  4. consistency
  5. etc.

no, it's not yet finished. yes, it already has more than 400 pages
biggrin.gif

enjoy the reading, i'm awaiting your feedback!

greetings,

ampair

ps: i haven't yet tried to convert it into an epub version, but i surely will. if i'm successful, i'll post it.

Nov 12, 2014 at 5:59 PM Post #3,728 of 151,943
  soooo... a few people here have requested a pdf version of schiit's story, so i took the liberty of compiling one. and since i got the ok from jason, you can download a preliminary/beta (!) version here:

since this is my first take on a full-fledged book, i'm open for suggestions/criticism/praise/etc regarding...

2. formatting
  4. consistency
  5. etc.

biggrin.gif

greetings,

ampair

ps: i haven't yet tried to convert it into an epub version, but i surely will. if i'm successful, i'll post it.

Wow, that really looks nice. I love the bookmarks/table of contents. Great work.

BTW, anyone can use Calibre to convert it to other formats like epub, mobi, etc. Haven't tested it with this file yet though.

Nov 12, 2014 at 6:14 PM Post #3,730 of 151,943
  Wow, that really looks nice. I love the bookmarks/table of contents. Great work.

BTW, anyone can use Calibre to convert it to other formats like epub, mobi, etc. Haven't tested it with this file yet though.

thanks :) and if it works with calibre i would be glad, would save me some work fuzzing around with LaTeX to epub conversion, which isn't too easy from what i've heard.

I think it should be re-written in second person, and the narratives should interweave ... try to work some song titles into there too, if you can ...

more like third person, i guess... something like this?
"and jason spoke, 'let there be circlotron layout,' and there was created the mighty mjolnir..."

tongue.gif

Nov 12, 2014 at 6:20 PM Post #3,731 of 151,943
535 pages without any cheating on fonts/  

Nov 12, 2014 at 6:36 PM Post #3,732 of 151,943

2. formatting
  4. consistency
  5. etc.

biggrin.gif

greetings,

ampair

Nice, I'm glad I am not the only one that made their own file of it.
I just put it into word so I could read it at my leisure.
It works nicely on my kindle paper white in word format.
Word format was also much smaller size than a PDF. 338kb versus 1.5mb

Nov 12, 2014 at 6:50 PM Post #3,733 of 151,943

2. formatting
  4. consistency
  5. etc.

biggrin.gif

greetings,

ampair

Wow! I had no idea the story has amounted into so much text. Turns out I've read my first book in the past couple of years once the tale concludes. 
eek.gif

Nov 12, 2014 at 7:16 PM Post #3,734 of 151,943

2. formatting
  4. consistency
  5. etc.

biggrin.gif

greetings,

ampair

Thanks a ton for this. Much appreciated. So convenient to have it all in one place. Now I can put on some good music, plug my headphones into my Schiit gear and have a good read. Cheers.

Nov 12, 2014 at 8:49 PM Post #3,735 of 151,943

2. formatting
  4. consistency
  5. etc.

biggrin.gif

greetings,

ampair

Wow, excellent job!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back