Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Apr 16, 2024 at 8:26 PM Post #148,171 of 151,943
haven't bought any appliances for a while. most are about 10 years + old. bosch dishwasher has been fine. 10 year old lg front load washer has been good. matching lg heat pump dryer not so good. ge oven is probably closer to 20 years old ,1 top element replaced . matching ge fridge is on it's second icemaker.
The winner is an old westinghouse fridge that was a hand me down from my grandparents, 1950s era. uses 240 KWHs per year... a small price to pay for cold beverages . :slight_smile:
Always a Bosch dishwasher, whatever else you have. At least IMO.

Fun anecdote: a friend got two "free" Viking dishwashers when he bought a bunch of Viking stuff. I told him that our experience with Viking dishwashers was, ah, not ideal. He said, "Who cares, I have two of them." A year later, both were broken at the same time. YMMV.

Last edited:
Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Apr 16, 2024 at 8:27 PM Post #148,172 of 151,943
Last edited:
Apr 16, 2024 at 8:28 PM Post #148,174 of 151,943

Fun anecdote: a friend got two "free" Viking dishwashers when he bought a bunch of Viking stuff. I told him that our experience with Viking was, ah, not ideal. He said, "Who cares, I have two of them." A year later, both were broken at the same time. YMMV.
When our dishwasher dies it will be replaced by a Bosch for sure.

Apr 16, 2024 at 8:29 PM Post #148,175 of 151,943
You will love it.
I leave mine on 24/7 so it's always ready to make beautiful music.
For a second there I thought we were still talking about refrigerators…

Apr 16, 2024 at 8:30 PM Post #148,176 of 151,943
Portrait of crazy people: we buy fridges without icemakers.

Why? Because we make ice only with RO water. We don't want the ice to affect the taste of the drink. So we use an external icemaker, fed by a reverse osmosis unit, to make ice that is then stored in the freezer.

We can also talk about "chores when switching from house to house" including making bread and salad dressing. Haven't bought any of those in years.

Squinting and saying, What? Yeah, I said we were crazy. There you go.

Edit: please don't make this into a "health politics" discussion. We are weird. We are foodie-ish. We make strange choices. It's OK. Enjoy your Pringles and Slim Jims and Miracle Whip. Okay, maybe not Miracle Whip. Shudder. If you like it, more for you.
What's Miracle Whip?

Apr 16, 2024 at 8:33 PM Post #148,177 of 151,943

Fun anecdote: a friend got two "free" Viking dishwashers when he bought a bunch of Viking stuff. I told him that our experience with Viking dishwashers was, ah, not ideal. He said, "Who cares, I have two of them." A year later, both were broken at the same time. YMMV.
the bosch washer is generic looking enough that it blended in with the other appliances

Apr 16, 2024 at 8:43 PM Post #148,178 of 151,943
Went to Watkins Glen F1 in 78, 79 and 80. The bog was a little more subdued than 1974 - https://bangshift.com/bangshiftapex...e-watkins-glen-bog-at-the-1974-us-grand-prix/
One of the “benefits” of being old now was being young then. I was in college in upstate NY from 66-71 and used to go to The Glen in summer for SCCA races and then F1 in the fall. It was motorsports Woodstock. The bog, indeed. Open fires burning all night, like camping in a sort of frat party ring of hell. And roaring motor cars, speed, beer, crashes on the corners. Flattened beer cans paving the road. Guys from New York would come up with rental U-Haul box trucks full of generators, music amplifiers and speakers, strings of lights from construction sites. Kegs and coolers. For an 18 year old it was wide open heaven.

Apr 16, 2024 at 8:43 PM Post #148,179 of 151,943
What's Miracle Whip?
The reason I hated sandwiches as a child.

(Seriously, I had no idea why friends had great-tasting sandwiches until I had left my parents' house. I thought Miracle Whip was mayonnaise, not some weirdly-sweet completely-wrong bizarre-ass concoction made by evil food scientists who hate life.)

Oh and deviled eggs. They used it in deviled eggs. And tuna salad. And...ahh, I am having flashbacks, and not of the good kind, from this.

Apr 16, 2024 at 8:44 PM Post #148,180 of 151,943
Oh and I remembered why I dropped by, before getting sidetracked by freezers and stuff:

Magni+ is gone.

Magni Heretic is still on Last Call, for a while at least.

Apr 16, 2024 at 8:50 PM Post #148,181 of 151,943
One of the “benefits” of being old now was being young then. I was in college in upstate NY from 66-71 and used to go to The Glen in summer for SCCA races and then F1 in the fall. It was motorsports Woodstock. The bog, indeed. Open fires burning all night, like camping in a sort of frat party ring of hell. And roaring motor cars, speed, beer, crashes on the corners. Flattened beer cans paving the road. Guys from New York would come up with rental U-Haul box trucks full of generators, music amplifiers and speakers, strings of lights from construction sites. Kegs and coolers. For an 18 year old it was wide open heaven.
Lots of stories, many not suitable here. Limited pictures. In 1980, 24 of us from CT went together. Those were the beer and speed years

Apr 16, 2024 at 8:56 PM Post #148,182 of 151,943
As much as I'm fine with spending much of my life within Apple's "little" garden, when I saw the presentation of that AR thing, all I really thought was a slightly less PG-13 version of "I'm getting too old for this…"

I'm sure they'll sell millions of these over the years, but to me it looks like a really nifty solution in search of an actual problem.

In the 20-odd years of Apple product launches that I've followed, this is the first time that I actually thought to myself: Nope, I can't think of a single situation or application where I'd rather use that thing than my phone, my Mac mini, my MacBook Pro, my TV, or my Schiit audio gear. I can't think of a single one of that thing's "killer applications" that would improve my life in even just the slightest way over what I already own or use.

I've also got to wonder if anyone in Cupertino actually watched that keynote in its entirety before they aired it. Because if even just one person had watched the thing in full, they may have noticed that it doesn't really look all that great to present their new face-hugger product a mere half hour or so after they talked at length about the new mental health tracking features in the Health app. Putting that much emphasis on them caring for their customers' mental health and then introducing a new product line that not just incentivizes but requires! you putting a physical, visual, and psychological barrier between you and the people you share a space with? A product that manages not only to make it feel like you're in a Zoom meeting with people that are in the same room with you, but that's also replacing your own eyes with a simulation for them to look at? And don't get me started on that uncanny valley cluster**** that is the visual avatar. If that's not the textbook definition of confirmation bias, I don't know what is…

If this thing (and its smaller/cheaper brethren that are undoubtedly in the pipeline) ends up with an adoption rate similar to the Watch, I'll just get me a cabin in the woods somewhere and be done.

Yeah…

I just remembered that Apple Vision Pro is a thing that exists.

Which is funny, because even the litany of Apple-centric pundits and reviewers that I (kinda have to) follow for my day to day work seem to have forgotten about it.

So, how much longer do I have to wait until I can say out loud what I've been thinking since the day it got announced, meaning that it's a solution in search of a problem, and that I remain convinced that not even the nerdiest of geeks want to spend their days with screens strapped right to their actual faces?

Honestly, I still can't believe that the brass at Apple ever thought that it's any more than a nifty tech demo. Something any company of that size should spend some time exploring — and then put on a shelf because there's really nothing there that can't already be covered as well or better by existing, widely accepted device types. They either see a roadmap for the thing that I don't, or they have a serious echo chamber problem within the company. Most likely it's a mix of both.

Last edited:
Apr 16, 2024 at 8:58 PM Post #148,183 of 151,943
The reason I hated sandwiches as a child.

(Seriously, I had no idea why friends had great-tasting sandwiches until I had left my parents' house. I thought Miracle Whip was mayonnaise, not some weirdly-sweet completely-wrong bizarre-ass concoction made by evil food scientists who hate life.)

Oh and deviled eggs. They used it in deviled eggs. And tuna salad. And...ahh, I am having flashbacks, and not of the good kind, from this.
Yuck. I've never even heard of that stuff until now.

Apr 16, 2024 at 9:04 PM Post #148,185 of 151,943
It's been a long day. Time for a drink and a chill evening listening to tonight's Jazz recommendation. (A Chesky records release.)

1713315811128.png

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back