Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Apr 16, 2024 at 9:05 PM Post #148,186 of 149,758
Whatever you do, do not buy dedicated ice makers for kitchen. Besides expensive speciality item, known most unreliable kitchen appliance. Ice snobs (not me) pay huge price for the ice they make- they actually don't keep the ice frozen - perpetually melt and drip down the drain so it can make "fresh".

Think hotel ice machine - which is definitely nicer than ice tray or normal fridge.

None of which is acceptable to water down a good stiff drink.
Can confirm. I'm on my third dedicated under cabinet ice maker. To be fair, the first was bought used. They are expensive to purchase and insanely unreliable and expensive to repair.

It's true that they don't keep the ice frozen which is why it's always easy to scoop out. I hate trying to get ice out of built in ice makers on fridge/freezer combos (press the lever, waiting, waiting, still nothing then BAM! 15 cubes at once)

The ice is great for water and iced tea, but not your best bet for mixed drinks. Despite my gripes, I love having it. Also weird I suppose.

Apr 16, 2024 at 9:07 PM Post #148,188 of 149,758
Portrait of crazy people: we buy fridges without icemakers.

Why? Because we make ice only with RO water. We don't want the ice to affect the taste of the drink. So we use an external icemaker, fed by a reverse osmosis unit, to make ice that is then stored in the freezer.

We can also talk about "chores when switching from house to house" including making bread and salad dressing. Haven't bought any of those in years.

Squinting and saying, What? Yeah, I said we were crazy. There you go.

Edit: please don't make this into a "health politics" discussion. We are weird. We are foodie-ish. We make strange choices. It's OK. Enjoy your Pringles and Slim Jims and Miracle Whip. Okay, maybe not Miracle Whip. Shudder. If you like it, more for you.
I had our RO unit output split. One to the tap on the worksurface, one to the fridge input.

Works very well.

Apr 16, 2024 at 9:10 PM Post #148,189 of 149,758
I just remembered that Apple Vision Pro is a thing that exists.

Which is funny, because even the litany of Apple-centric pundits and reviewers that I (kinda have to) follow for my day to day work seem to have forgotten about it.

So, how much longer do I have to wait until I can say out loud what I've been thinking since the day it got announced, meaning that it's a solution in search of a problem, and that I remain convinced that not even the nerdiest of geeks want to spend their days with screens strapped right to their actual faces?

Honestly, I still can't believe that the brass at Apple ever thought that it's any more than a nifty tech demo. Something any company of that size should spend some time exploring — and then put on a shelf because there's really nothing there that can't already be covered as well or better by existing, widely accepted device types. They either see a roadmap for the thing that I don't, or they have a serious echo chamber problem within the company. Most likely it's a mix of both.

I’m a tech nerd/gadget geek who has several Apple devices. Their system works very well for me but I feel the same as you about the AVP. I have zero FOMO regarding it. I just can’t conceive of a use-case that improves on how I work and consume media now.

Apr 16, 2024 at 9:11 PM Post #148,190 of 149,758
Why, oh why do I start these things?
(And why should I be surprised by toilet humor on a Schiit thread?)
Lesson learned?
Probably not, knowing me...

When our dishwasher dies it will be replaced by a Bosch for sure.
I had a Bosch dishwasher for years, I got rid of it only because my ex-wife ran paint through it. I bought a new one and if failed in two years, same for the Miele. I asked the appliance repair guy what one is good these days. He said they all suck. So I bought a lower cost LG it has been running now for 3 years, Knock on plastic.

Apr 16, 2024 at 9:13 PM Post #148,191 of 149,758
.... ice cubes .... pfft! .... make tonic water cubes .... add to Bombay Sapphire .... 💥

Apr 16, 2024 at 9:18 PM Post #148,192 of 149,758
Portrait of crazy people: we buy fridges without icemakers.

Why? Because we make ice only with RO water. We don't want the ice to affect the taste of the drink. So we use an external icemaker, fed by a reverse osmosis unit, to make ice that is then stored in the freezer.

We can also talk about "chores when switching from house to house" including making bread and salad dressing. Haven't bought any of those in years.

Squinting and saying, What? Yeah, I said we were crazy. There you go.

Edit: please don't make this into a "health politics" discussion. We are weird. We are foodie-ish. We make strange choices. It's OK. Enjoy your Pringles and Slim Jims and Miracle Whip. Okay, maybe not Miracle Whip. Shudder. If you like it, more for you.
My older brother and his wife grow around 90% of what they eat. They also have hens for eggs. My Sister in law (like my daughter) whenever possible, makes all her meals from scratch and "organic". He was total vegan sans being rude about it for decades but his doctors said he needed animal based protein and so he eats eggses and fisheses (GOLLUM!) every once in a while.

I am full of preservatives (and BS) and have long had neither the sense of smell nor taste (inherited from maternal side of the family) so it has yet to be determined if I am a mutant. Doctors are currently studying and arguing over the results. But I like Sinatra and Fitzgerald as well as headphones stuff so I am allowed in most civilized places.

This is all true and far form "health politics" but if you wish to ban me, so be it. I was warned when I read that last italicized Edit! :beerchug:

ORTson Welles

Apr 16, 2024 at 9:28 PM Post #148,194 of 149,758
With a name like Bosch, it has to be good.

1713317268210.png

Apr 16, 2024 at 9:38 PM Post #148,196 of 149,758
Apr 16, 2024 at 9:58 PM Post #148,198 of 149,758
Stupid question here maybe… My Triangle Esprit Titus Ez is listed “3.8 - 8 Ohm” (90 dB/1 watt). Would they work well with Aegir OG monoblocks?

Also Interested to hear what speakers (no matter size) others have found to be the blending with Aegir OG monoblocks (here will also be Yggy and Kara in the chain).
I think they would work. I use Devore Nines (91 db at 8 ohms) with OG Aegir monoblocks in a 12 x 22 x 9.5’ room. Plenty of power. TBH I can probably get by with one in stereo but like the extra power.

Adding this caveat… if the Triangles spend most of their time at 4 ohms, then that can present a problem for Aegirs as monoblocks. My speakers stay pretty close to their 8 ohm rating.

Last edited:
Apr 16, 2024 at 10:02 PM Post #148,199 of 149,758
Storytime.

So, while our new home was under construction, the wife, our cats and me had to live in a pet friendly apartment for a while.
Our very cool neighbor was 96 years old and when my wife asked him how old he was he said "I'm 96 and hope to live to be a dollar"

I sure hope he made it.

Last edited:
Apr 16, 2024 at 10:19 PM Post #148,200 of 149,758
The reason I hated sandwiches as a child.

(Seriously, I had no idea why friends had great-tasting sandwiches until I had left my parents' house. I thought Miracle Whip was mayonnaise, not some weirdly-sweet completely-wrong bizarre-ass concoction made by evil food scientists who hate life.)

Oh and deviled eggs. They used it in deviled eggs. And tuna salad. And...ahh, I am having flashbacks, and not of the good kind, from this.
Meh. You probably don't like Spam, either.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back