Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Apr 16, 2024 at 5:58 PM Post #148,156 of 151,996
ALMS was my first TRUE love in motor sports. Did you see the Audis live? While hugely impressive feats of performance, it was the weirdest thing seeing such low revving and quite diesels hauling a--, obviously before the current hybrid era.
I saw Audi deisels race and win IIRC at the Long Beach street race. Spot on about the speed/sound conundrum, but man they launched. Perhaps little known too is Audi raced in the Trans Am Series. Saw them at the same venue with Hans Stuck driving.

Apr 16, 2024 at 6:45 PM Post #148,157 of 151,996
Apr 16, 2024 at 6:47 PM Post #148,158 of 151,996
Following on recent themes, here's my feet
I'm thinking that, according to Herb Reichert, youse guys' systems don't have enough jump factor :-D

Apr 16, 2024 at 6:58 PM Post #148,159 of 151,996
Apr 16, 2024 at 7:02 PM Post #148,160 of 151,996
We got tired of replacing ice makers. It's just the two of us, so we bought a couple of ice cube trays instead. It turns out that once you get used to the routine, it's not a big deal.
Ice never touches my whiskey and I cannot think of any other use for ice so I agree with you that trays would be fine. 🤪

Kidding, of course. Tap-cold water is never cold enough, even from the glacier-fed stream that forms my town's water source.

Apr 16, 2024 at 7:28 PM Post #148,161 of 151,996
Yeah, old school. Like when I was young. 😝😝 I have three different size trays. Huge, normal, and tiny ice cubes. I bought two of the tiny size and reserve one tray for freezing cubes of grated fresh garlic.
Whatever you do, do not buy dedicated ice makers for kitchen. Besides expensive speciality item, known most unreliable kitchen appliance. Ice snobs (not me) pay huge price for the ice they make- they actually don't keep the ice frozen - perpetually melt and drip down the drain so it can make "fresh".

Think hotel ice machine - which is definitely nicer than ice tray or normal fridge.

None of which is acceptable to water down a good stiff drink.

Apr 16, 2024 at 7:37 PM Post #148,162 of 151,996
ALMS?

Here… ALMS in May 2010 at Laguna Seca. GT3 class race:

_MG_5500.jpg

_MG_5542.jpg

_MG_5485.jpg

Flying Lizards - Patrick Long and Jörg Bergmeister.
Ah yesss! I remember the Flying Lizard well.

So many great drivers in the ALMS, and also in the various support races. In the SCCA Speed World Challenge in 2004, I watched Cadillac CTS-V driver Andy Pilgrim get punted off the track from near the front in the opening laps, pulling back onto the tarmac in last place. He steadily passed car after car and finished fourth. That was breathtaking driving.

I still have part of the fender from the sister CTS-V that crashed right in front of me in that same race. PIR's front straight chicane is always an entertaining place to be. 😁

Apr 16, 2024 at 7:43 PM Post #148,164 of 151,996
My bottom freezer Whirlpool 2-door was built before 2011 and is still going strong. All of my gal's similar age GE Profile appliances have broken down and been replaced. I guess GE live down to their reputation... 😁😁
Yeah, I'd gripe about GE except that it's not a surprise. 🤣 The last house we purchased in NC had all GE appliances when we moved in. Within the first month, the built-in microwave died. Then the bottom element in the oven went out. Next was the control panel for the dishwasher that emitted plumes of magic smoke as it died. The best part though was the 'fridge that the sellers had included as part of the house purchase. The interior water tank (to chill the water for the door dispenser) split along its seams and flooded the kitchen. Only saving grace was that I was home and heard the water running, or the damage would have been extensive. None of the appliances were that old, maybe 4-5 years.

And I used to only dislike GE tubes.... :laughing:

Last edited:
Apr 16, 2024 at 7:48 PM Post #148,165 of 151,996
Yeah, I'd gripe about GE except that it's not a surprise. 🤣 The last house we purchased in NC had all GE appliances when we moved in. Within the first month, the built-in microwave died. Then the bottom element in the oven went out. Next was the control panel for the dishwasher that emitted plumes of magic smoke as it died. The best part though was the 'fridge that the sellers had included as part of the house purchase. The interior water tank (to chill the water for the door dispenser) split along its seams and flooded the kitchen. Only saving grace was that I was home and heard the water running, or the damage would have been extensive.

Knock on cardboard, but our GE appliances have been going strong for 11 years. Only had to replace a freezer thermostat and an ice maker. I did those repairs myself, so pretty cheap. Stove, dish washer, microwave, and washer/dryer are all great. Can't complain. 😀

Apr 16, 2024 at 7:52 PM Post #148,166 of 151,996
Yeah, old school. Like when I was young. 😝😝 I have three different size trays. Huge, normal, and tiny ice cubes. I bought two of the tiny size and reserve one tray for freezing cubes of grated fresh garlic.
Now a real artisan would carve his own perfect ice cubes. IMG_5596.jpegIMG_5591.jpeg

Apr 16, 2024 at 7:55 PM Post #148,167 of 151,996
With all this racing car talk, any love for Ford vs Ferrari? I thought it was great; only thing I know about racing (not horses) is when ComputerVision brought some of the F1(?) cars its software helped design. Those things were huge!

Also, am I wrong to like:
pTz01T4.png

Apr 16, 2024 at 7:56 PM Post #148,168 of 151,996
I had LG problems with a front load washer also. I will one up you. Also front load dryer. Lasted about 2 years. :disappointed_relieved:

Strangely, I haven't had any trouble out of the dryer. Still using it. Bought a Maytag top-load washer a few weeks ago, so we now have a mismatched pair. The wife would normally have a hissy-fit about that, but she hated that LG washer so bad she didn't care. Funny, when the appliance store guys delivered the Maytag and hauled off the LG I told them it still kinda worked, sort of maybe. He laughed and said that some brands they will refurbish, some they will donate, but LG front-loaders go directly to the landfill. His words. 🤣

Apr 16, 2024 at 8:21 PM Post #148,169 of 151,996
We got tired of replacing ice makers. It's just the two of us, so we bought a couple of ice cube trays instead. It turns out that once you get used to the routine, it's not a big deal.
Portrait of crazy people: we buy fridges without icemakers.

Why? Because we make ice only with RO water. We don't want the ice to affect the taste of the drink. So we use an external icemaker, fed by a reverse osmosis unit, to make ice that is then stored in the freezer.

We can also talk about "chores when switching from house to house" including making bread and salad dressing. Haven't bought any of those in years.

Squinting and saying, What? Yeah, I said we were crazy. There you go.

Edit: please don't make this into a "health politics" discussion. We are weird. We are foodie-ish. We make strange choices. It's OK. Enjoy your Pringles and Slim Jims and Miracle Whip. Okay, maybe not Miracle Whip. Shudder. If you like it, more for you.

Last edited:
Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Apr 16, 2024 at 8:24 PM Post #148,170 of 151,996
Yeah, I'd gripe about GE except that it's not a surprise. 🤣 The last house we purchased in NC had all GE appliances when we moved in. Within the first month, the built-in microwave died. Then the bottom element in the oven went out. Next was the control panel for the dishwasher that emitted plumes of magic smoke as it died. The best part though was the 'fridge that the sellers had included as part of the house purchase. The interior water tank (to chill the water for the door dispenser) split along its seams and flooded the kitchen. Only saving grace was that I was home and heard the water running, or the damage would have been extensive. None of the appliances were that old, maybe 4-5 years.

haven't bought any appliances for a while. most are about 10 years + old. bosch dishwasher has been fine. 10 year old lg front load washer has been good. matching lg heat pump dryer not so good. ge oven is probably closer to 20 years old ,1 top element replaced . matching ge fridge is on it's second icemaker.
The winner is an old westinghouse fridge that was a hand me down from my grandparents, 1950s era. uses 240 KWHs per year... a small price to pay for cold beverages . :slight_smile:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back