Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Apr 16, 2024 at 12:32 PM Post #148,128 of 149,733
We're running a 10 year old Kitchen Aid and it's still problem free.

Oh, just my luck. Now that I've said that...
Our Kitchen Aid ice maker died after 10 years... No parts I could find locally. Once the water died, I bought the Samsung.

Last edited:
Apr 16, 2024 at 12:40 PM Post #148,129 of 149,733
Ours does that too on occasion. We don't have a water line connected for the ice maker and I 'think' it's the ice mech trying to make ice.
I thought we had shut the water line to ice maker quite a while ago but occasionally I hear what sounds like a stalled motor for a few seconds before going quiet again.

Apr 16, 2024 at 1:01 PM Post #148,130 of 149,733
We do not have a through the door water or ice dispenser. Those seem to be very problematic with Samsung. Sales person recommended we avoid that type of configuration and I'm glad we did, given what I've heard and read.

Our problems were mainly with the waterlines freezing to those dispensers as well as water leaking inside. I should also mention I did not shop for it, it was a gift from my son. My wife was probably involved in picking the model.🤪

Last edited:
Apr 16, 2024 at 1:15 PM Post #148,132 of 149,733
I have a Samsung TV that has worked well for about 8 years now but have never had any Samsung appliances. But don't get me started on LG. I think the product engineers involved with their front-load washers should receive prison sentences. :rage:
I sent a two year old LG front loader to the landfill because I would have felt guilty even giving it away to an unsuspecting person. Nobody deserves that.
Buying it was a VERY expensive mistake.

Apr 16, 2024 at 1:25 PM Post #148,133 of 149,733
I sent a two year old LG front loader to the landfill because I would have felt guilty even giving it away to an unsuspecting person. Nobody deserves that.
Buying it was a VERY expensive mistake.

We've been lucky - so far - with our LG washer, dryer, and dishwasher. 5 years and no issues yet.

Apr 16, 2024 at 2:07 PM Post #148,135 of 149,733
Can't find it on Bandcamp. The album is: Jan Akkerman - North Sea Jazz Legendary Concerts
There are some physical copies (CD/DVD set) on Discogs but all from the Netherlands with crazy shipping.

Apr 16, 2024 at 2:22 PM Post #148,136 of 149,733
Screenshot 2024-04-17 at 02.21.22.png

Screenshot 2024-04-17 at 02.22.08.png

Apr 16, 2024 at 2:33 PM Post #148,137 of 149,733
2024, Chapter 5
The End of the End of the World?

Some of you are gonna get an email soon announcing the blowout on Ragnarok 2.

And it’s a biiiiig blowout. As in, Ragnarok 2 is now $999.

Like I said, BIG.

“Why?” some of you cry. “Why oh why do you have to do this? What happened? Did you screw up? I know you screw up all the time, you guys suck!”

Others say, “Yeah, it’s an integrated, you can’t move integrateds with bran, no big surprise here.”

(and many others are saying nothing, too busy hitting the BUY button, because this is a heckuvasupercallifragillistic deal.)

So what happened?

Simple: due to commitments we made during the supply chain crisis—commitments we made in order to get any supply at all—we made too many Ragnarok 2s. And now we’re moving. And it’s better you have them than we move them. So please enjoy the deal.

“But what’s this end of the end of the world thing?” someone is asking. “Are you considering not making another Ragnarok?”

Good question.

ragnarok 2 in situ 1920.jpg

Is It the End?

In short, we don’t know. As of the time of this writing, April 2024, I don’t have a Ragnarok 3 on the screen. Not a board, not a chassis, nothing.

So, at the very least, there’ll be a hiatus. We’ll sell through Ragnarok 2, and then there will be nothing for a while, and then maybe there will be a Ragnarok 3.

“Ah hell, you’re screwing with us, you’re always working on something new,” someone says.

Yeah. But not a Ragnarok 3.

Here’s the thing: I took a couple of swipes at improving Ragnarok 2.

The first is what we’re selling today—a Ragnarok 2 with a toroidal transformer, which gives it a lower noise floor and higher output power than the original. Ragnarok 2 now comfortably exceeds its rated power. If we re-rated it, it would be more like a 75/110W amp into 8 and 4 ohms.

The second, never seen, was a Ragnarok 2+ which added a handful of extra relays to switch the “Nexus resistors” to different values in order to decrease the noise floor even lower when used in low gain. I built a prototype of it, which worked OK, but didn’t really work as well as I hoped (I was looking for 15-20dB better, I got 6-10dB), so I put it on the shelf and forgot about it.

Aside: literally. There’s a shelf of in-process and kinda-sorta-dead prototypes in the tech lab.

In both cases, the revised Ragnaroks didn’t exceed what the current one is in any significant way—they didn’t deliver 100+W into 8 ohms, they didn’t add a bunch of digital inputs, they didn’t change the basic idea of Ragnarok 2, which is simple: a great integrated amp for speakers that also will absolutely light up any headphone, no matter how hard to drive.

And when you get down to it, maybe that’s the problem. Ragnarok 2 is a bit hard to get your head around. It’s a:
  1. A mid-power integrated amp suitable for most speakers, but not ones that need tons of power. Mid-power integrateds have been the kiss of death since the 1980s. Literally it was a joke at Sumo. I tried doing one. My boss killed it. He was probably right.
  2. One of the purest integrated amp designs. As in, this isn't a preamp bolted to an amp in a chassis. This is a purpose-built, single-gain-stage, multiple-gain-selection, balanced and single-ended in and out, super-flexible, no-compromise product. It's so no-compromise that it has 100% linear power supply, Class AB Nexus™ fully discrete, DC-coupled gain stage, relay ladder attenuation, independent high voltage rails, dual-mono-back-to-the-transformer construction, and microprocessor oversight and protection.
  3. A giant, insanely powerful balanced headphone amp. I mean, the headphones are driven by the SPEAKER OUTPUTS. We’re talking 30+W into 32 ohms. Completely bonkers. But with 3 gain levels, it’s still great for pretty much any balanced headphone. Neat in a way. But not normal. Not convenient. And not sized for sane desks.
Yeah. Weird.

I mean, yeah, in my mind it makes total sense. Get a Ragnarok 2, especially with the phono and DAC input cards, and you’re done. One box for all your stuff—speakers, headphones, etc. Nice.

But…one digital input? And only MM phono? Maybe that’s not enough.

So yeah, as of today, if I was going to shoot at a new Ragnarok design, it would be more powerful, with more digital inputs and a more flexible phono preamp—and it would probably only be sold that way. And it would cost more. So it’s really a different product at that point. And I’m not super excited about it in any case.

Aaaaaand as I mentioned, no design work has been done.

Soooo….who knows? Maybe in 2025. Maybe not until later. Maybe not at all.

What’s the Catch?

Some of you are thinking, “This deal sounds too good to be true. What’s the catch?”

No catch. With Ragnarok 2, what you see is what you get. Lisa uses one in her office in Corpus Christi. I frequently have one on my desk in California, but now that we’re moving, everything is packed up except a Magni Unity. Alex has one. Tyler has one. Elvis has one. It’s one of the most popular products we’ve ever had internally.

Aaaanndd…they are insanely reliable. The huge heatsinks and middling power output mean it runs super-cool, and it’s almost impossible to get outside the range of its protection.

Aaaaaaaaaaaannnd…they sound good! Ragnarok 2 was our first Nexus™ product. It was designed as a flagship of a whole new “holy grail” topology, and it sounds like it.

Aaaaaaaaaaaannnnnnnnnnddd…it’s super hard to conceive of any headphone that Ragnarok 2 won’t work well with, and its plenty for all but the most insane speakers, so it’s one and done deal.

Sounds good?

Sounds even better at $999?

Cool. Get one. And sit back and enjoy excellent sound for a long, long time. Because when they’re gone, they’re gone. And there’s nothing on the horizon.

For a time, at least, it really is the end of the end of the world.

Apr 16, 2024 at 2:37 PM Post #148,138 of 149,733
2024, Chapter 5
The End of the End of the World?

Some of you are gonna get an email soon announcing the blowout on Ragnarok 2.

And it’s a biiiiig blowout. As in, Ragnarok 2 is now $999.

Like I said, BIG.

“Why?” some of you cry. “Why oh why do you have to do this? What happened? Did you screw up? I know you screw up all the time, you guys suck!”

Others say, “Yeah, it’s an integrated, you can’t move integrateds with bran, no big surprise here.”

(and many others are saying nothing, too busy hitting the BUY button, because this is a heckuvasupercallifragillistic deal.)

So what happened?

Simple: due to commitments we made during the supply chain crisis—commitments we made in order to get any supply at all—we made too many Ragnarok 2s. And now we’re moving. And it’s better you have them than we move them. So please enjoy the deal.

“But what’s this end of the end of the world thing?” someone is asking. “Are you considering not making another Ragnarok?”

Good question.

ragnarok 2 in situ 1920.jpg

Is It the End?

In short, we don’t know. As of the time of this writing, April 2024, I don’t have a Ragnarok 3 on the screen. Not a board, not a chassis, nothing.

So, at the very least, there’ll be a hiatus. We’ll sell through Ragnarok 2, and then there will be nothing for a while, and then maybe there will be a Ragnarok 3.

“Ah hell, you’re screwing with us, you’re always working on something new,” someone says.

Yeah. But not a Ragnarok 3.

Here’s the thing: I took a couple of swipes at improving Ragnarok 2.

The first is what we’re selling today—a Ragnarok 2 with a toroidal transformer, which gives it a lower noise floor and higher output power than the original. Ragnarok 2 now comfortably exceeds its rated power. If we re-rated it, it would be more like a 75/110W amp into 8 and 4 ohms.

The second, never seen, was a Ragnarok 2+ which added a handful of extra relays to switch the “Nexus resistors” to different values in order to decrease the noise floor even lower when used in low gain. I built a prototype of it, which worked OK, but didn’t really work as well as I hoped (I was looking for 15-20dB better, I got 6-10dB), so I put it on the shelf and forgot about it.

Aside: literally. There’s a shelf of in-process and kinda-sorta-dead prototypes in the tech lab.

In both cases, the revised Ragnaroks didn’t exceed what the current one is in any significant way—they didn’t deliver 100+W into 8 ohms, they didn’t add a bunch of digital inputs, they didn’t change the basic idea of Ragnarok 2, which is simple: a great integrated amp for speakers that also will absolutely light up any headphone, no matter how hard to drive.

And when you get down to it, maybe that’s the problem. Ragnarok 2 is a bit hard to get your head around. It’s a:
  1. A mid-power integrated amp suitable for most speakers, but not ones that need tons of power. Mid-power integrateds have been the kiss of death since the 1980s. Literally it was a joke at Sumo. I tried doing one. My boss killed it. He was probably right.
  2. One of the purest integrated amp designs. As in, this isn't a preamp bolted to an amp in a chassis. This is a purpose-built, single-gain-stage, multiple-gain-selection, balanced and single-ended in and out, super-flexible, no-compromise product. It's so no-compromise that it has 100% linear power supply, Class AB Nexus™ fully discrete, DC-coupled gain stage, relay ladder attenuation, independent high voltage rails, dual-mono-back-to-the-transformer construction, and microprocessor oversight and protection.
  3. A giant, insanely powerful balanced headphone amp. I mean, the headphones are driven by the SPEAKER OUTPUTS. We’re talking 30+W into 32 ohms. Completely bonkers. But with 3 gain levels, it’s still great for pretty much any balanced headphone. Neat in a way. But not normal. Not convenient. And not sized for sane desks.
Yeah. Weird.

I mean, yeah, in my mind it makes total sense. Get a Ragnarok 2, especially with the phono and DAC input cards, and you’re done. One box for all your stuff—speakers, headphones, etc. Nice.

But…one digital input? And only MM phono? Maybe that’s not enough.

So yeah, as of today, if I was going to shoot at a new Ragnarok design, it would be more powerful, with more digital inputs and a more flexible phono preamp—and it would probably only be sold that way. And it would cost more. So it’s really a different product at that point. And I’m not super excited about it in any case.

Aaaaaand as I mentioned, no design work has been done.

Soooo….who knows? Maybe in 2025. Maybe not until later. Maybe not at all.

What’s the Catch?

Some of you are thinking, “This deal sounds too good to be true. What’s the catch?”

No catch. With Ragnarok 2, what you see is what you get. Lisa uses one in her office in Corpus Christi. I frequently have one on my desk in California, but now that we’re moving, everything is packed up except a Magni Unity. Alex has one. Tyler has one. Elvis has one. It’s one of the most popular products we’ve ever had internally.

Aaaanndd…they are insanely reliable. The huge heatsinks and middling power output mean it runs super-cool, and it’s almost impossible to get outside the range of its protection.

Aaaaaaaaaaaannnd…they sound good! Ragnarok 2 was our first Nexus™ product. It was designed as a flagship of a whole new “holy grail” topology, and it sounds like it.

Aaaaaaaaaaaannnnnnnnnnddd…it’s super hard to conceive of any headphone that Ragnarok 2 won’t work well with, and its plenty for all but the most insane speakers, so it’s one and done deal.

Sounds good?

Sounds even better at $999?

Cool. Get one. And sit back and enjoy excellent sound for a long, long time. Because when they’re gone, they’re gone. And there’s nothing on the horizon.

For a time, at least, it really is the end of the end of the world.

Hello @Jason Stoddard. I currently have, I guess, the original Rag 2. (The one without the toroidal transformer). Were there any other changes besides the transformer that happened with this version? How much different (sounding) is this version compared to the earlier one. Was the noise floor a big reason for the replacement of the transformer.

Thank you

Apr 16, 2024 at 2:39 PM Post #148,139 of 149,733
The Samsung at work (7 yrs old) has frozen up so many times nobody wants to mess with it. The other fridge is a Whirlpool. Same age and is going strong without issues.

My bottom freezer Whirlpool 2-door was built before 2011 and is still going strong. All of my gal's similar age GE Profile appliances have broken down and been replaced. I guess GE live down to their reputation... 😁😁

Apr 16, 2024 at 3:21 PM Post #148,140 of 149,733
My bottom freezer Whirlpool 2-door was built before 2011 and is still going strong. All of my gal's similar age GE Profile appliances have broken down and been replaced. I guess GE live down to their reputation... 😁😁
I just bought a dual ice maker version Whirlpool with a five year extended warranty. When I am mixing drinks for a group now there is less chance of running out. My wife’s only concession.🤪

Users who are viewing this thread

Back