Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Aug 26, 2016 at 9:58 PM Post #12,362 of 150,635
Not really. The multibit DACs are far more complex. They aren't going to fit one on a single board that easily.

Get rid of the balanced pre-outs and there would be space left back there for a larger DAC board. Or maybe they were not so keen on cannibalizing their DAC line.

...or the balanced outputs and new form factor point to a new balanced desktop speaker amp?

Aug 26, 2016 at 10:04 PM Post #12,363 of 150,635

Not really. The multibit DACs are far more complex. They aren't going to fit one on a single board that easily.

Get rid of the balance pre-outs and there would be space left back there for a larger DAC board. Or maybe they were not so keen on cannibalizing their DAC line.

...or the the balanced outputs and new form factor point to a new balanced desktop speaker amp?

Then you're back to the original problem of trying to cram a noisy and complex DAC into the box with an amp, which they don't want to do.  They are only doing it (if I recall correctly what Jason said to me a while back) because they figured out how to without it being crap.  Look at it as a kickass value balanced amp/preamp with the option of a DAC or phono stage for people who don't want two-box complexity.  I expect a lot of people will buy one to use with a Bifrost instead of a Lyr or Valhalla who don't want tubes and don't want a Mjolnir.

It will also be incredible value for anyone who wants to get into vinyl easily.

Aug 26, 2016 at 10:43 PM Post #12,364 of 150,635
  Just save the $100 and buy it without the DAC module, then add the multi-bit DAC of choice. I imagine it would have been very difficult to stuff a multi-bit DAC into the chassis, especially since the DAC or phono-pre is a modular add on.

Yea that's what I'm gonna be doing, never thought I'd get a balanced amp for my office in a few years haha, but this will go very nicely with my new Modi MB on there!

Aug 26, 2016 at 10:51 PM Post #12,366 of 150,635
  I wonder if this is the only announcement...all signs point to yes, but one can hope there's more :)

I'm guessing due to the fact they allowed this one to "slip through the cracks" before the show, more likely than not there is more in store for the attendees, almost certainly actually. Pretty good marketing move too if this is actually the case, in my opinion.

Quote:
  I expect a lot of people will buy one to use with a Bifrost instead of a Lyr or Valhalla who don't want tubes and don't want a Mjolnir.

Agreed, it could be a very nice way for people to get into vinyl, easy and cost efficient. Also true regarding the Bifrost (or modi, in my case) + Valhalla/Lyr - I really wanted a Valhalla for my new office as I love tubes, anyone who's read a few of my posts on here knows that I tend to avoid SS amplifiers whenever possible but the fact that I can use my MJ2 headphones (cables) with the Jotunheim is very tempting, plus it's new and exciting and not "just" a headphone amp like the V2 (or Lyr).

Plus, the name's incredibly bad ass for anyone who's remotely familiar with Norse mythology, let's be honest.

Aug 26, 2016 at 11:40 PM Post #12,367 of 150,635

Then you're back to the original problem of trying to cram a noisy and complex DAC into the box with an amp, which they don't want to do.  They are only doing it (if I recall correctly what Jason said to me a while back) because they figured out how to without it being crap.  Look at it as a kickass value balanced amp/preamp with the option of a DAC or phono stage for people who don't want two-box complexity.  I expect a lot of people will buy one to use with a Bifrost instead of a Lyr or Valhalla who don't want tubes and don't want a Mjolnir.

There have many that have been asking for a Schiit combo. I'm not one of those but honestly they have created a Monster with the MB Modi. You now have the option of MB Modi + Magni 2 Uber in an SE setup for One Dollar less that the Balanced All in one which is a different amp Topology. The difference That I am Seeing here is you can either run an internal DAC or switch to an External source and use it as a Balanced or SE amp.   i do not know where i would fit for me personally but that's the thing it seems as it can fit to a lot of different uses, This is like a Swiss army Knife.  I am going to finish my adult beverage sleep on this and see if it makes sense in the AM,

Aug 27, 2016 at 12:27 AM Post #12,368 of 150,635
I'm actually so much more eager to find out what else will be announced at the Schiit Show tomorrow now that the Jotunheim is out there, I wonder what else they could possibly be withholding.

Here's hoping our European Schiit dealer gets Jotunheim stock quickly, when the Modi MB came out it was available for purchase here within a couple days right away which was awesome. Praying its sound signature isn't bright though, I've heard the Asgard 2 can be a little fatiguing/sharp and that's a huge red flag for me, guess we'll find out soon enough!

Aug 27, 2016 at 12:48 AM Post #12,369 of 150,635

No multibit DAC module? That was unexpected.

This, plus only USB input --- all Schiit MB products have at least SPDIF on them.

It seems to me like Schiit's 'revolutionary' concept means 'modular amps', which makes sense given Jason's persistent comments on how DAC/amp combos are inefficient as DACs get obsoleted far more quickly than a good, sturdy amp. And I'd expect a bigger, badder, Mjolnir-sized modular amp down the road, with appropriate digital inputs and MB board (and MC/MM phono stage board). For Jotunheim, though, the DAC module seems to be a 'convenience' thingy, entry-level (think Modi).

Aug 27, 2016 at 1:31 AM Post #12,370 of 150,635
No multibit DAC module? That was unexpected.

This, plus only USB input --- all Schiit MB products have at least SPDIF on them.

Thanks guys I panicked a bit when I saw the video- I just ordered a Modi MB (delivery Monday)!  I've been following this thread for years now and finally decided to dip my toe in the Schiit.  I'm curious about one thing on the Jotunheim, is it possible to have a single ended input and get balanced output on the preamp outputs?  I'm using powered monitors with xlr inputs and it would be useful to be able to drive them with a balanced signal.  Sorry if that's a neophyte question, I'm getting back into audio after an 18 year absence.

The balanced inputs make me wonder if a balanced Bifrost could be in the horizon...?

Aug 27, 2016 at 5:36 AM Post #12,373 of 150,635
Did they just shrink the ragnorok? No goal here, dun use balance and phono stage but if it sound decent as rag...maybe. How about using 2 mimby into jotunheim into full balance?

Aug 27, 2016 at 8:32 AM Post #12,375 of 150,635

It seems to me like Schiit's 'revolutionary' concept means 'modular amps', which makes sense given Jason's persistent comments on how DAC/amp combos are inefficient as DACs get obsoleted far more quickly than a good, sturdy amp. And I'd expect a bigger, badder, Mjolnir-sized modular amp down the road, with appropriate digital inputs and MB board (and MC/MM phono stage board). For Jotunheim, though, the DAC module seems to be a 'convenience' thingy, entry-level (think Modi).

Looking at the Size of that DAC module it seems they could only get one type of input on it. The Modular Design also Does not rule out a S/PDIF card down the road. It seems that this is an amp first and the DAC option which is unexpected is really to give customers an option for those who want an all in one but I do not suspect a Yggy will be crammed inside of a Raggy anytime soon or ever. But if anything this Combo teaches is to never say never. If that DAC portion is on the Same level or better than the Modi2 Uber I would say its a steal for a fully balanced dac option. The Balanced Phono Input module makes me wonder if the Mani will see a Balanced brother soon. What I am more intrigued about is this new amp design. I suspect the next chapter will be a good read.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back