Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Aug 26, 2016 at 6:11 PM Post #12,346 of 149,343
  As usual, this is the most fun thread on Head-Fi.  Very diverse and loopy without being critical or confrontational.  Interesting ideas.  Just love it.
Just when and where is this upcoming "Schiit Show?"  Are y'all planning to attend?

Cheers,
RCBinTN

https://www.eventbrite.com/e/schiitshow-2-this-changes-everything-tickets-26680912327

Aug 26, 2016 at 8:10 PM Post #12,349 of 149,343
  As usual, this is the most fun thread on Head-Fi.  Very diverse and loopy without being critical or confrontational.  Interesting ideas.  Just love it.
Just when and where is this upcoming "Schiit Show?"  Are y'all planning to attend?

Cheers,
RCBinTN

Yes as I caught up on the Days comments, it is entertaining. To clarify I am not saying Car audio cannot sound good the environment in itself makes it a challenge. again speakers aimed at your knee caps are very hard to work with. Oddly we had some good results with custom kick panels aimed toward the center top of the car, but i actually was somewhat fond of the dash mounted tweeters and mid ranges. It probably did some weird thing reflecting off the glass but it seemed to give the best results to me.

I grew up in the era  where 8 track was dwindling, cassettes where becoming mainstream, LP's where everywhere and CD's where mystical..some of these pictures are great and. reminds me of some of the cars my dad had and stories from his friends. The funny thing is as i talk about how terrible the inside of a car is for sound. The music is what matters. The was reaffirmed recently when my Dad Came to visit and I grabbed a Bunch of his Lp's before we drove the 12 hour drive from NYC. I Cleaned up what I could and started playing them one night.. Pops clicks and static did not matter. The Old Man seemed to be in another world or another time . When he Came back to Earth he started asking about my LP rig.of which I consider  the Mani the Cornerstone. I told this story on Mikes thread, but to some of the commenters points sometimes we get caught up in the gear and forget about the music. I am guilty of that. 

Aug 26, 2016 at 8:13 PM Post #12,350 of 149,343
  Why put audiophile grade kit in a car. It's a noisy environment that hides fine audio details and one better not zone out listening to a tune while driving.

Butler car audio.  I use them along with McIntosh amps in my car.

Aug 26, 2016 at 8:49 PM Post #12,352 of 149,343
I know that modern capacitors deal with the hum and that tube amps are far cleaner now, but I personally haven't heard one that I liked over decently designed solid state.  I'm not saying they don't exist, just that it hasn't been my experience.

Key word in that sentence is 'decent'. That cuts both ways. I just popped in some NOS RCA 2A3 tubes in my current TOTL headphone/speaker amp in in my home setup, and the increase in midrange richness was immediately noticeable. As much of an effort and expense tube rolling is, you don't get that kind of tonal character flexibility with SS. Your only remaining degree of freedom is transducer rolling, and that's really expensive, especially with speakers.

My amp also employs a really elegant transformer solution to isolate AC power system noise and eliminate tube hum from the DHT gain output signal.

Don't necessarily confuse obsolete technology or diminished capability with modern tube amps.

Aug 26, 2016 at 9:11 PM Post #12,355 of 149,343
No multibit DAC module? That was unexpected.

Aug 26, 2016 at 9:41 PM Post #12,357 of 149,343
Nice name.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Holy Schiit! That sounds like a killer amp at a great price to boot. I can't wait for the reviews to start pouring in.

Just save the $100 and buy it without the DAC module, then add the multi-bit DAC of choice. I imagine it would have been very difficult to stuff a multi-bit DAC into the chassis, especially since the DAC or phono-pre is a modular add on.

Aug 26, 2016 at 9:45 PM Post #12,358 of 149,343
Ok, before everyone goes crazy (too late) about my Multibit DAC in my car...

I didn't want to say much about it because it is not a Schiit product, so I won't go into too much detail. However, all it is...a cheaply made Chinese NOS DAC with quad Phillips TDA1543's. Jason and Mike would do a face palm on the internal design of this DAC, but alas, it is Multibit. Is has no output op amp, and I/V conversion is done through passive resistors. I did replace the DC blocking caps with MKP WIMA's.

But here is the story:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/512389/mini-dac-tda1543-x-4-nos/980_10#post_12817706

All it takes is a 12V power inverter guys and maybe an adapter or two (and enough room to cram it all somewhere)

I did it for fun, but it may stay in my car after all.

Aug 26, 2016 at 9:48 PM Post #12,359 of 149,343

Not really. The multibit DACs are far more complex. They aren't going to fit one on a single board that easily.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back