Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Aug 5, 2023 at 11:45 AM Post #123,063 of 155,137
Just wanted to pop in and leave an updated impression of the Gjallarhorns amplifiers. We spent an extended listening session last night sipping wine and letting Roon provide a random mix from our server of everything from Adelle to Miles to Soundgarden to Skrillex. Source was from my streamer through Yggdrasil, then using the Woo ES8 in preamp mode driving a pair of Gjallarhorns in mono, each providing power to my self-design studio monitors. The sound was powerful, dynamic, full and completely enjoyable. We listened for however long it took for two of us to consume two bottles of Zinfandel and while reading on our iPads. No listener fatigue, and when we were ready for bed the amps were barely warm (Yggdrasil and Woo were both warmer.) Very nice, thank you Schiit.

Aug 5, 2023 at 12:23 PM Post #123,064 of 155,137
Just wanted to pop in and leave an updated impression of the Gjallarhorns amplifiers. We spent an extended listening session last night sipping wine and letting Roon provide a random mix from our server of everything from Adelle to Miles to Soundgarden to Skrillex. Source was from my streamer through Yggdrasil, then using the Woo ES8 in preamp mode driving a pair of Gjallarhorns in mono, each providing power to my self-design studio monitors. The sound was powerful, dynamic, full and completely enjoyable. We listened for however long it took for two of us to consume two bottles of Zinfandel and while reading on our iPads. No listener fatigue, and when we were ready for bed the amps were barely warm (Yggdrasil and Woo were both warmer.) Very nice, thank you Schiit.
curious to see your monitors....

Aug 5, 2023 at 12:50 PM Post #123,065 of 155,137
curious to see your monitors....
These are one of my more simple 2-way designs. 6.5" Tang Band woofer, ceramic dome tweeter, passive 4-th order parallel crossovers at about 2.8KHz... recycled commercial 1.25 cuft rear ported enclosure @ 37Hz hanging from ceiling...
IMG_1663.jpg

Aug 5, 2023 at 12:54 PM Post #123,066 of 155,137
These are one of my more simple 2-way designs. 6.5" Tang Band woofer, ceramic dome tweeter, passive 4-th order parallel crossovers at about 2.8KHz... recycled commercial 1.25 cuft rear ported enclosure @ 37Hz hanging from ceiling...

It looks like some Infinity Reference cabinets died to make your monitors...! 🥲

Last edited:
Aug 5, 2023 at 1:01 PM Post #123,067 of 155,137
I may not be smart, but my GoogleFu js strong.

Any printer. You have to put it through a slicer program and sent to printer of your choice.

I'll figure that out next.
Slight (in this case) asterisk: any 3D printer that can print big enough. In this case the too small printers are rare, but for larger items it can easily be that a large enough printer is rare.

Other items may have other requirements than just size that could make the task impossible for certain printers and not others: fine detail, precision in shape and dimensions, build material, support material.

Aug 5, 2023 at 1:14 PM Post #123,068 of 155,137
It looks like some Infinity Reference cabinets died to make your monitors...! 🥲
Good eye. The Infinity drivers died long ago and I am a recycler. :)

Aug 5, 2023 at 1:39 PM Post #123,070 of 155,137
Aug 5, 2023 at 1:45 PM Post #123,071 of 155,137
If my understanding is correct, Schiit has a long history of working on stuff, getting it close to or actually finished, but it still doesnt get released for production & sale, for various reasons. Nothing wrong with that. Just a personal opinion, but I think the gadget would have already been made available for sale if it was meant to be...

Again, just bored opinion and speculation 😀
Some of their best products have gone through that stage, and years later they've been hits. Jason has said so himself. That Schiity trend gives us confidence that The Gadget will be released when it's ready. It's a thing of an idea being bigger than the current technology.

Last edited:
Aug 5, 2023 at 2:10 PM Post #123,072 of 155,137
Some of their best products have gone through that stage, and years later they've been hits. Jason has said so himself. That Schiity trend gives us confidence that The Gadget will be released when it's ready. It's a thing of an idea being bigger than the current technology.
The Gadget concept was very limited, and even more limited by DSP power of the time.

It's a different time now. There are many more things we can tackle with current DSP power.

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Aug 5, 2023 at 3:00 PM Post #123,074 of 155,137
Having finished my pair of Dynaco A25 look a-likes, the Seas A26's I want to do a review of a pair of G-horns vs a Class A Aegir. They are rated at 8 ohms nominal and 88 db efficiency.

Having a small listening room over the garage room type. I have always wanted to see if 20 or 30 watts would still do the trick...

I will use my new closeout Freya Noval (which I love) with the amps....going to be a fun test and listen...

Alex

Aug 5, 2023 at 3:07 PM Post #123,075 of 155,137
Having finished my pair of Dynaco A25 look a-likes, the Seas A26's I want to do a review of a pair of G-horns vs a Class A Aegir. They are rated at 8 ohms nominal and 88 db efficiency.

Having a small listening room over the garage room type. I have always wanted to see if 20 or 30 watts would still do the trick...

I will use my new closeout Freya Noval (which I love) with the amps....going to be a fun test and listen...

Alex
It will. My DIY system uses woofers rated at 8-ohms nominal and 88 db./watt-meter and the Gjallarhorns were more than enough for them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back