Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Aug 4, 2023 at 9:51 PM Post #123,046 of 155,114
Folklore is a great record. The rest of the catalog does nothing for me, but T Swift is great at business.

1 of every 25 vinyl records sold in 2022 was a Taylor Swift album.
McDonald's sells 2.365 billion hamburgers a year, proving people's tastes are questionable at best...

Aug 4, 2023 at 10:00 PM Post #123,049 of 155,114
So tell me I made a good choice. Please.

Prime Day deal on the Anker Soundcore Life Q30 for $59.

Wireless, which I didn’t want, but seemingly average + ANC, decent battery life, corded operation for when I inevitably forget to charge before a long flight, a carrying case and easily EQable via the Soundcore app, if I find them too bass forward (I’m going to find them too bass forward).

I don’t need this to be the ultimate in HiFi sound. I like anticipating coming home to my 2.1 channel system, and I just need these to be ‘good enough’ to make the time in air pass pleasantly….
Bout to board my 4th 3 hour plus flight since grabbing these and I like ‘em. They’re boomy as all get out in the stock config, but EQ through the app is terrific, and I’m shocked how awesome the noise cancelling is for me. Never knew I needed it, probably couldn’t live without it on a plane now.

Bonus is that the battery has barely ticked down.

Aug 4, 2023 at 10:02 PM Post #123,050 of 155,114
I looked it up because I was curious; for Folklore she sold 17 physical versions of the album, including eight CDs, eight LPs and a cassette.
I completely read that she had sold that many actual copies!

Aug 4, 2023 at 10:51 PM Post #123,052 of 155,114
Thanks, Jammin - I just bought it... my first music CD purchase since (checks Amazon) 13 August 2017?!? :) That was Rodrigo y Gabriela's 9 Dead Alive.

I have bought a non-music CD in the interim, though: the Cardas - Ayre Acoustics Irrational, But Efficacious burn-in disc... anybody else have any experience with this one? It's irrational as hell that playing tracks of frequency sweeps and different noise types could 'exercise' your system, but it actually seems to be efficacious. Could be confirmation bias on my part, though. <g>
I’m all cd, though I can stream (amazon hd), i only listen to new music there (generally. But the darned URD has brought new joy to discs. I admittedly ordered a couple more of her discs last nigh from discogs. I’d never heard of her, but I’m impressed. Glad you enjoy!

Aug 4, 2023 at 11:04 PM Post #123,053 of 155,114
Urd is the word, Roon is the moon, Pi is the sky. Put them together and you got music.

Because since long Raspberry Pi's are available again, I ordered one this week, printed a cabinet for it and installed Ropieee.
It is a Raspberry Pi model 4B with 4 GB of RAM. Model 4 is the best for using USB for audio.
Next I connected it to ....... Urd input 2.

First thing I noticed is that Roon treats Urd input1 and input2 as 2 different zones, where I expected it to be just ONE and I just switch inputs at Urd.
To switch from input 1 to 2 I had to switch zone in Roon and switch inputs on Urd. No problem, just surprised.

So I made a group from Urd input 1 and Urd input 2 in Roon, to only have to switch inputs on Urd.
The reason for all this, I want to test quality differences (if any) between RaspBerry Pi, my PC output and CD.
On the PC I use a USB PCI card with a separate power supply for the USB port.

Looking forward to experimenting and listening.

urd.jpg Urd1.jpg

pi4.jpg
I’m running my Pis with PiCorePlayer on my squeezebox system, and it also id’s the Urd input ports as 1 and 2. Surprised me, too!

Aug 5, 2023 at 3:12 AM Post #123,055 of 155,114
A recommendation if you're into cool jazz and austere French-flavored fusion. This tasty treat just showed up in my Qobuz fresh release pile:

lgreswgyk0qyb_600.jpg

https://open.qobuz.com/album/lgreswgyk0qyb

Really nicely recorded capturing all the timbres and decays, and mixed with near holographic instrument and voice placement. I don't have a Syn, but played through one, maybe it'll feel like you're sitting there right in the midst of the musicians. Enjoy!
Did someone say French ? Queued up !!

Last edited:
Aug 5, 2023 at 8:39 AM Post #123,057 of 155,114
McDonald's sells 2.365 billion hamburgers a year, proving people's tastes are questionable at best...
In America, the thing that is most popular is never the best. :smirk_cat:

Aug 5, 2023 at 8:47 AM Post #123,058 of 155,114
Germany was my introduction to heffeweizen beer and excellent beer in general. Franziskaner brand is my goto when I can find it, but Weihenstephaner is outstanding also. Spaten Pils is another favorite German beer. I have yet to find any American brew that can touch a German hefe.
Give Spaten Oktoberfest a try in the autumn ...

Aug 5, 2023 at 9:58 AM Post #123,060 of 155,114
Bonus that, if you’re a visitor, the Tap Room is along the Colorado River and shouting distance from the airport. I may or may not have waited out a fair few LONG flight delays there.
I think we waited out a delay there, too ... watching a 747 pilot doing touch and goes on that super-long runway. It was fun ...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back