Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
May 29, 2023 at 8:22 PM Post #119,267 of 150,366
Understood.

img_2562.jpg
Neither of those are quantum-tunneled. Totally unworthy of discussion in an audio forum of this pedigree. 🤣

May 29, 2023 at 9:00 PM Post #119,270 of 150,366
Roon is great, and crossfeed is amazing to avoid fatigue, especially on older "we got stereo now so we will use whole stereo" recordings.

There is no difference between streaming services, as long as they use same masters (they don't).

Funnily enough, that won't stop anyone from claiming otherwise. Hell, I remeber a thread on Roon forums where an older gentleman claimed the latest patch of roon sounds like crap and demanded the Roon team to revert to older version. There was no change obviously but he was adamnt others can't hear it on their inferior systems.

Audiophiles will audiophile.
There may not be a difference between the high end audio streaming services, but there is a difference in music player software. I prefer Qobuz played through Audirvana Studio over Roon. YMMV.

May 29, 2023 at 9:19 PM Post #119,271 of 150,366
There may not be a difference between the high end audio streaming services, but there is a difference in music player software. I prefer Qobuz played through Audirvana Studio over Roon. YMMV.
Looking at your sig, your music server runs Windows. Are you sure Audirvana Studio and Roon used exactly the same data paths and drivers for your comparisons? I've used a variety of Linux-based digital sources with a variety of DACs, as Roon endpoints or not (Volumio, PiCorePlayer, Ropieee, DietPi, ...) as well as multiple Linn systems through Linn's app or Roon, and I never experienced sound differences due to the software, as opposed to differences due to digital connection (S/PDIF, USB, I2S), endpoint hardware, or power supply.

May 29, 2023 at 10:16 PM Post #119,272 of 150,366
Tonight's Syn-full song recommendation:

Closer To Home ( I'm Your Captain )........Grand Funk Railroad

May 29, 2023 at 10:47 PM Post #119,273 of 150,366
Kernel Streaming for Audirvana, WASAPI for Roon. Tried WASAPI for AS, but KS is better. Before this, I was using MusicBee with Fidelizer and Process Lasso which was better than JRiver. I bought a Pi2AES which I run Volumio on and it's slightly better than MusicBee which motivated my search for a better Windows player. I think Volumio sounds good (not as good as AS), but its GUI is lacking. Its now my backup if anything happens to my Windows PC. The Pi2AES is an AES connect vs USB for everything else. I think Unison is the equal of AES. Bottom line for me, Audirvana wins over anything else I have heard. Someday, when I want to complicate my life, I will try HQPlayer.

May 29, 2023 at 11:24 PM Post #119,274 of 150,366
Kernel Streaming for Audirvana, WASAPI for Roon. Tried WASAPI for AS, but KS is better. Before this, I was using MusicBee with Fidelizer and Process Lasso which was better than JRiver. I bought a Pi2AES which I run Volumio on and it's slightly better than MusicBee which motivated my search for a better Windows player. I think Volumio sounds good (not as good as AS), but its GUI is lacking. Its now my backup if anything happens to my Windows PC. The Pi2AES is an AES connect vs USB for everything else. I think Unison is the equal of AES. Bottom line for me, Audirvana wins over anything else I have heard. Someday, when I want to complicate my life, I will try HQPlayer.
The ideal Roon setup is to run Roon on the PC or other server, with a Roon endpoint like the Pi2AES running Ropieee (for example) driving the DAC. Did you try that? PCs, unless very carefully built for the purpose, may put enough electrical noise on USB connections to affect less-well-isolated DACs, with the noise level depending on PC load -- Roon is quite demanding.

May 30, 2023 at 2:13 AM Post #119,279 of 150,366
There really isn't, if they use the same drivers. Bit perfect is bit perfect. Only way to get a difference is if you use different output, example polling instead of event or whatever.

And even then it is not worth the effort, imho, unless your equipment is sub par.

May 30, 2023 at 3:27 AM Post #119,280 of 150,366
Look-ahead peak meter… ROFL.

LobalWarming said:
Exactly. Be more useful if the schiit psychics would release an analog look-ahead peak meter. Give us something to look forward to. 🤣

Surely if they are "look-ahead" meters they should be "Look-Ahead peek meters"

* I'll find the door by myself

Users who are viewing this thread

Back