Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
May 30, 2023 at 12:28 PM Post #119,296 of 150,343
Holy Schiit, Qobuz...

...sounds amazing. I have listened exclusively to the service since I signed up on Saturday; a.) iPhone 13 Pro via Lightning->USB-C into CarPlay in the GLC, b.) iPhone 13 Pro via BT to a JBL Charge 5 (that little sucker sounds MUCH better than it has a right to!) and now c.) via Web browser, high-rez setting, USB to OG Jot multibit to mono Aegirs to LS50s (nearfield at my desk).

Pros: I am basically gobsmacked - the depth and clarity of the stream is just spectacular. Steely Dan's "Third World Man" is raising goosebumps. I have not done any comparative listening with Tidal yet, but I really think it's time to drop my Tidal sub. Thanks again, @Plautus001 - will add my login to the AURALiC tonight and see what happens when I push this stream through Yggy. I am pretty sure that the sound will be epic... but in the meantime, must work, must stay focused... the upstairs system will have to do for now... <G>

Cons: Qobuz seems to have a hyperactive "tamper indicator" that stopped my mobile stream multiple times yesterday, even though the PC app back home was logged out and closed, and the machine was in sleep mode. Also, today, the PC (installed) app is having issues getting connected to the service, and I don't have time to debug it now... concerned how this will work when I'm logged in to Qobuz on the AURALiC, but it's in sleep mode... will I keep getting shut down on my mobile when I try to stream? Will I need to log in and out of Qobuz each time I use the device? That would be frustrating, at best. Tidal manages multiple playback devices well, and only stops the stream(s) when two devices are actually playing at the same time.

It sounds too good to worry about that now, though... :relaxed:

/d

Last edited:
May 30, 2023 at 12:51 PM Post #119,300 of 150,343
Unison is in Modi Multibit 2 - a quite good/musical DAC.
Yes, but I recall reading that there was not enough board space for the isolation transformer, which is what isolates it electrostatically and electromagnetically from the device on the other end of the USB cable. I am asking specifically about the implementation with the isolation transformer, not the Unison receiver generally.

May 30, 2023 at 12:58 PM Post #119,301 of 150,343
Yes, but I recall reading that there was not enough board space for the isolation transformer, which is what isolates it electrostatically and electromagnetically from the device on the other end of the USB cable. I am asking specifically about the implementation with the isolation transformer, not the Unison receiver generally.

Ok, my ignorance about an isolation transformer on Unison. Now I need to learn more. Won't an isolation transformer cause other issues? Maybe @Jason Stoddard can comment on this.

May 30, 2023 at 1:02 PM Post #119,302 of 150,343
No one here owned (or still own) Henry Kloss' original large Advents? Have you tweaked (opened) the grill around the tweeter window to reduce diffraction? Tilted the speaker back (1" or so at the front) to help time alignment? :)
I had 4 of them in the 1970's. No tweaks other than stacking. Replaced by a set of ESS AMT 1b's in about '78.

May 30, 2023 at 1:21 PM Post #119,304 of 150,343
Holy Schiit, Qobuz...

...sounds amazing. I have listened exclusively to the service since I signed up on Saturday; a.) iPhone 13 Pro via Lightning->USB-C into CarPlay in the GLC, b.) iPhone 13 Pro via BT to a JBL Charge 5 (that little sucker sounds MUCH better than it has a right to!) and now c.) via Web browser, high-rez setting, USB to OG Jot multibit to mono Aegirs to LS50s (nearfield at my desk).

Pros: I am basically gobsmacked - the depth and clarity of the stream is just spectacular. Steely Dan's "Third World Man" is raising goosebumps. I have not done any comparative listening with Tidal yet, but I really think it's time to drop my Tidal sub. Thanks again, @Plautus001 - will add my login to the AURALiC tonight and see what happens when I push this stream through Yggy. I am pretty sure that the sound will be epic... but in the meantime, must work, must stay focused... the upstairs system will have to do for now... <G>

Cons: Qobuz seems to have a hyperactive "tamper indicator" that stopped my mobile stream multiple times yesterday, even though the PC app back home was logged out and closed, and the machine was in sleep mode. Also, today, the PC (installed) app is having issues getting connected to the service, and I don't have time to debug it now... concerned how this will work when I'm logged in to Qobuz on the AURALiC, but it's in sleep mode... will I keep getting shut down on my mobile when I try to stream? Will I need to log in and out of Qobuz each time I use the device? That would be frustrating, at best. Tidal manages multiple playback devices well, and only stops the stream(s) when two devices are actually playing at the same time.

It sounds too good to worry about that now, though... :relaxed:

/d
I can't speak to your Auralic, but I can have music streaming from Qobuz > Roon and simultaneously stream from the Qobuz app on my iPhone with no issues.
Qobuz > Yggy is amazing. You won't be disappointed.

May 30, 2023 at 1:26 PM Post #119,305 of 150,343
No one here owned (or still own) Henry Kloss' original large Advents? Have you tweaked (opened) the grill around the tweeter window to reduce diffraction? Tilted the speaker back (1" or so at the front) to help time alignment? :)

My brother still has a pair that he bought new. No tweaks, though. The bass drivers had their foam surrounds replaced several years ago but that's it.

FWIW, they still sound awesome.

JC

May 30, 2023 at 1:58 PM Post #119,308 of 150,343
May 30, 2023 at 1:59 PM Post #119,309 of 150,343
May 30, 2023 at 2:09 PM Post #119,310 of 150,343
My brother still has a pair that he bought new. No tweaks, though. The bass drivers had their foam surrounds replaced several years ago but that's it.

FWIW, they still sound awesome.

JC
Suggest to your brother to enlarge the opening of the grill 'cardboard' around the tweeter about 1" all around. Just insert a thin piece of aluminum between the solid material and the outer cloth and use a cutting knife. The reduction of diffraction is audible. Also, place the speakers on stands with tweeters at ear level and tilt the fronts up about 1"(time aligned) - audible too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back