Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jul 25, 2016 at 2:46 PM Post #11,732 of 150,085

popcorn.gif

Yeah That.

Quote:

Hah.  I bet Jason and Mike just love us thinking of new stuff to put on the wish list. :)

I'm not trying to pour fuel on the fire or even start the fire, but it seems Mike and Dave had to put some serious Brainpower to work to make the Modi Multibit a Reality and there were some lessons learned that could be applied to future products and iterations of their upgradeable platforms.To be honest being an outsider looking in to the Natural progression of their Line and Company as well as insight into the players that make the innovation and products possible and then being able to Listen to the the end product is great. My Bimby Sounds Awesome, but one just has to wonder.

Jul 25, 2016 at 2:53 PM Post #11,733 of 150,085
@Jason Stoddard, You'll have to forgive my lack of knowledge on the matter but why does it *have* to (in terms of your opinion) be a relay for output muting? From what I remember/have found is that they (muting relays in DAC's) are used primarily because when the data stream gets interrupted nasty things happen, so you put the muting circuit in there to prevent outputting the undesirable to the end-user. I remember coming across a web article about some of the different muting typologies and relays/JFETs provided the best performance when compared to other things like optocouplers, general FETs, etc. The latter, for an already dense board would not be ideal due to their required additional circuitry. It's also been a while since I've even so much as LOOKED at a dsp let alone coded one but why not take care of the muting functionality in the code? Did that option just eat up too many cycles causing a massive delay or is it something that just isn't available due to circuit topology choices and other things that I'm (quite obviously) not aware of. I guess to the uninitiated something like previous mentioned methods, or an additional buffer IC or something of the sort would work as well and not have the footprint of a relay.

So back to the original question, why relays? Not questioning your use of them, just intrigued in the design thought process. Sorry if its a "well no duh" question to the rest of you folk but I'm kind of interested in hearing what makes this schiit tick.

Jul 25, 2016 at 3:04 PM Post #11,734 of 150,085
I wonder if one day we'll see Schiit completely abandoning the delta-sigma dacs and becoming multibit only company.

Jul 25, 2016 at 3:05 PM Post #11,735 of 150,085
  I wonder if one day we'll see Schiit completely abandoning the delta-sigma dacs and becoming multibit only company.

Sub-$150 products are Schiit's bread and butter. I'm not seeing multibit technology trickling down that far due to BOM costs.

Jul 25, 2016 at 3:08 PM Post #11,736 of 150,085

Sub-$150 products are Schiit's bread and butter. I'm not seeing multibit technology trickling down that far due to BOM costs.

It would bring at least part of the costs down due to reduced number of different SKUs.

Jul 25, 2016 at 3:09 PM Post #11,737 of 150,085
It would bring at least part of the costs down due to reduced number of different SKUs.

Given the efficiency of Schiit's operation, I doubt it would save them alot.

Jul 25, 2016 at 3:13 PM Post #11,740 of 150,085
FYI, he was the first musician on the Internet .... back in the dial-up, put your phone into the modem days of the early 90's.

The second musician on the Internet was Billy Idol... that only lasted a short while.  One day he posted a message saying (paraphrase) " I woke up today with 400 messages in my inbox, and I couldn't read them all even if I spend all my time doing it, so I'm gonig to have to say bye bye. "

Another early Internet adopter was Roger Ebert (RIP).  A great guy.

My first experience with the internet in a real sense was spending hours online in the Megadeth, Arizona chat room thanks to Dave Mustaine. Anyone else spend anytime in that chat room?

Anyway, Dave Mustaine and the site changed the internet...story.

Jul 25, 2016 at 3:16 PM Post #11,741 of 150,085

Okay, sure, but why keep a DS Bifrost/Gungnir? If the Moby sounds better than DSBifrost, and Bimby sounds better than DS Gungnir, why are they still a thing? 

How much volume would Schiit need to do to bring Bimby to $499 (which, given the cost of Moby, feels like a better price point), and Gumby to $999?

Jul 25, 2016 at 3:27 PM Post #11,743 of 150,085
  Okay, sure, but why keep a DS Bifrost/Gungnir? If the Moby sounds better than DSBifrost, and Bimby sounds better than DS Gungnir, why are they still a thing? 

But DS Gungnir is still a fully balanced DAC with a more advanced clock management and much better power supply. Some people don't care as much about the multibit technology. As long as there's the market for such DAC (at its current price point) - it would live as a product. If not - it's going to be retired.

"Sometimes you have to kill it" - Jason.

Jul 25, 2016 at 3:33 PM Post #11,745 of 150,085

How much volume would Schiit need to do to bring Bimby to $499 (which, given the cost of Moby, feels like a better price point), and Gumby to $999?

To quote Mike, "Bifrost isn't disposable. Plus, power supply. Plus, general layout. Plus, modularity."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back