Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jul 25, 2016 at 3:48 PM Post #11,746 of 152,650

Okay, sure, but why keep a DS Bifrost/Gungnir? If the Moby sounds better than DSBifrost, and Bimby sounds better than DS Gungnir, why are they still a thing? 

How much volume would Schiit need to do to bring Bimby to $499 (which, given the cost of Moby, feels like a better price point), and Gumby to $999?

I think there's at least a handful of folks here who prefer the 4490 Bifrost to the multibit. The DAC chip is just a part and I know the analog output sections of the multibit and 4490 are indeed different due to space considerations of the Bimby.

Jul 25, 2016 at 3:48 PM Post #11,747 of 152,650
To quote Mike, "Bifrost isn't disposable. Plus, power supply. Plus, general layout. Plus, modularity."

This ^

I may have said this already sometime in the past. For Years,Chevy Used Practically the Same Small Block 350 with slight changes in the Corvettes and in the Camaro's. The Culmination of parts made them different animals even though under the hood a lot of things were identical or interchangeable. The Camaro's although similar was not a Corvette. There were/are things a Corvette does better because things like the exhaust, Suspension , Chassis and possibly transmissions were different. BTW They used practically the Same Engines in the pickups too.

Sorry for the car analogy, but in my mind the same principle applies. even though a major component is the same its the Sum of the product that sets it apart.

Jul 25, 2016 at 3:50 PM Post #11,748 of 152,650
Jul 25, 2016 at 3:53 PM Post #11,749 of 152,650

Okay, sure, but why keep a DS Bifrost/Gungnir? If the Moby sounds better than DSBifrost, and Bimby sounds better than DS Gungnir, why are they still a thing? 

How much volume would Schiit need to do to bring Bimby to $499 (which, given the cost of Moby, feels like a better price point), and Gumby to $999?

DS Bifrost is upgradeable 
DS Gungnir is upgradeable and balanced

Jul 25, 2016 at 3:54 PM Post #11,750 of 152,650

Solid questions and ones I'm curious about myself. I can't help but wonder how the Multibits compare to the DS version of the next tier DACs - eg. how the Moby will sound compared to the regular Bifrost and so on so forth. I have tried to research this in the past when I was debating whether I should get a Bimby or a DS Gungnir but didn't seem like there was a real deciding consensus had anywhere. From an economical stand point I'd imagine the higher up DS DACs beat out the lower multibits simply because they are more expensive and if they no longer warranted the price tag they would pretty much become obsolete, but on the other hand a lot of good and qualified people I know actually disagree with that after having owned/auditioned each device.

Edit. PS: I'm talking exclusively about sound quality, upgrades/functionalities/inputs/outputs/etc asides.

Jul 25, 2016 at 4:04 PM Post #11,753 of 152,650
  Always entertaining and, of course, great marketing as well.  Congratulations on another great product, the Gungnir Multibit was a cheaper upgrade to my (now sold) Naim DAC V1.

Just a tip: If a post is that long and you're quoting it, put it in a spoiler box or just quote the first few (or highlight lines).

Jul 25, 2016 at 4:19 PM Post #11,754 of 152,650

Solid questions and ones I'm curious about myself. I can't help but wonder how the Multibits compare to the DS version of the next tier DACs - eg. how the Moby will sound compared to the regular Bifrost and so on so forth. I have tried to research this in the past when I was debating whether I should get a Bimby or a DS Gungnir but didn't seem like there was a real deciding consensus had anywhere. From an economical stand point I'd imagine the higher up DS DACs beat out the lower multibits simply because they are more expensive and if they no longer warranted the price tag they would pretty much become obsolete, but on the other hand a lot of good and qualified people I know actually disagree with that after having owned/auditioned each device.

Edit. PS: I'm talking exclusively about sound quality, upgrades/functionalities/inputs/outputs/etc asides.

The Way things sound is Subjective and to a great extent depends on your source/speakers or HP'S etc. If you listen to pandora or the like, or use any lossless format the differences may be harder to hear the differences as your source is not the best to begin with. There is also the people that Can't hear the difference regardless. Some People prefer the DS version of the Bifrost. I am absolutely not in that camp.

To each His Own. Take the Info Parse it and make an educated decision. A member Named Atomic Bob has all of the Higher end MB Dac's and has provided not just measurements but probably one of the best comparisons of the three in my opinion.

When It Comes to the Bimby and Gumby. I have read multiple people say the Gumby in SE sounds very similar to the Bimby. But when used in a Full Balanced The Gumby Steps into its own.  I also went from using the USB inputs of my Bimby to using the COAX .S/PDIF and I like it better. My point is your use case is another thing to consider.

Jul 25, 2016 at 4:48 PM Post #11,755 of 152,650
The Way things sound is Subjective and to a great extent depends on your source/speakers or HP'S etc.

Thank you for the insight, I agree with that of course, it's obviously going to be super hard to be absolute when it comes to something as subjective as music but some times opinions are quite unanimous, when it comes to eg. bimby vs gungnir/gumby (SE) it seems hard to come to an educated opinion. I have not read the comparison you mentioned by Atomic Bob, I will definitely look into it tonight - I already have a Gungnir (DS for now, planning to upgrade asap when budget allows) so I'm really just interested in the theory as if I find it interesting.

I will patiently await impressions of the new Modi as I'm looking to upgrade my work office's setup, was leaning heavily toward getting a DS Bifrost but with the announcement I think the better move will be sitting tight for a while longer. 
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 25, 2016 at 5:00 PM Post #11,756 of 152,650
How do you think Stereophile and TAS are gonna like this ad?

Wait till we get to the 2-channel products. They're gonna, well...schiit.

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Jul 25, 2016 at 5:04 PM Post #11,757 of 152,650
Jul 25, 2016 at 5:12 PM Post #11,759 of 152,650

:

Wait till we get to the 2-channel products. They're gonna, well...schiit.

Send them a roll of Schiit branded roll of toilet paper as a consolation prize so they can clean up in style.

Jul 25, 2016 at 5:13 PM Post #11,760 of 152,650

I love it! Stereophile and TAS are probably too much in love with exotic high-priced gear to even like it, but they'll no doubt be happy to take your money to run the ad - maybe next to an ad for a cable that costs many times the price of the Modi Multibit?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back