Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Mar 28, 2023 at 6:42 PM Post #114,841 of 152,846
I have it from a reliable source that Syn is a music generator.

No need to buy music anymore! Just tell Syn what you like and its AI core automatically and endlessly generates unique, original content for you.

On an unrelated note, I hear Jason has gone into hiding because the recording industry has sent out a hit squad to his house.
And it also does binaural beats (brainwave entrainment) that actually works!

Mar 28, 2023 at 6:56 PM Post #114,843 of 152,846
Long time lurker joined to just to make a (probably wrong) Syn guess: something home theater related would be a solid way to anger some folks doing something Schiit said they wouldn’t do…
If we are gauging stuff based on how hated it is, any hatred for Syn would be second only to a Schiit Holiday/Overstock Sale. I can't imagine anything pissing more people off than the freakin' unprecedented Schiit Holiday/Overstock Sale did. :D

Mar 28, 2023 at 7:03 PM Post #114,844 of 152,846
It's not that easy, since Schiit wall-warts are AC.

For the USB-powered there is a lot of stuff available. Or at least there was, maybe it has dried up? The Wyrd was probably one of the best. There was a USB version of the iFi wall-wart, I can't find it on their website right now though, and I can't remember whether it was reasonably priced or not.

Mar 28, 2023 at 7:14 PM Post #114,845 of 152,846
It's not that easy, since Schiit wall-warts are AC.

For the USB-powered there is a lot of stuff available. Or at least there was, maybe it has dried up? The Wyrd was probably one of the best. There was a USB version of the iFi wall-wart, I can't find it on their website right now though, and I can't remember whether it was reasonably priced or not.
aps.jpg

Mar 28, 2023 at 7:15 PM Post #114,846 of 152,846
Apple Music Classical (Apple's spin on its Primephonic acquisition) was released yesterday.
Close to a year behind schedule.
Just iPhone — no dedicated iPad, macOS, or AppleTV app.
No offline-listening, either.
CarPlay integration? Nope!
The search works fine but is surprisingly slow, the UI is just as uninspired as the standard Music app's UI, and the player UI is just as horrendously unintuitive.
The Primephonic-esque editorials that were promised are rather hidden away behind a click or two and a few more scrolls, and they are a mere rehash/re-recording of the editorials that were already available on Primephonic.

Dear Apple.
This is how a highly motivated startup like Primephonic might do classical.
It is, however, not befitting of a global behemoth with your knowhow, manpower, catalogue, and quality standards.
Almost 18 months of development?
For this?
Nothing short of absolutely shameful. An abysmal result and an insult to any halfway serious enthusiast of classical music.
I never used Primephonic.

However, I'm liking the Classical app so far. I'm sure all the other aspects are in the works, if the app takes off. It is Apple after all. I wouldn't be surprised if they spin it off as a separate subscription.

Mar 28, 2023 at 7:25 PM Post #114,849 of 152,846
Over the weekend that's exactly what friends of mine said to me this past weekend. They live in a barn converted to residential abode back 40 years ago in a lovely, wooded setting. My friend has had some serious back surgery back in January with rods and screws, (he had both knees replace 11-12 years ago.) Last fall he and his wife were shopping for a downsized house on one floor. They found some acceptable places but they have lived in the converted barn happily for so long they came to the "screw it" decision. They converted one of two sun porches on the ground floor to a bedroom as they had everything else needed on that floor including a full bathroom and a view down thru the woods to a creek and up a hill on the other side. They no longer have to climb the winding log staircase steps to the second floor loft and since it's a converted barn it's a loooong climb to the upstairs and its 3 bedrooms and a bath.

When they pass they said its the kids problem, LOL!
That's fine until they hear unexplained noises on the second floor. :wink:

Mar 28, 2023 at 7:29 PM Post #114,850 of 152,846
Between Syn generating the music and Chat GPT generating the lyrics, there will be no more need for those pesky creative types. 😏
And there are some impressive AI image tools to generate the artwork.

This guy taught ChatGPT to build prompts for Midjourney

*Impressive = Scary almost

Mar 28, 2023 at 7:33 PM Post #114,851 of 152,846
I ran a mixing desk for a small live poetry event earlier tonight, it got me thinking. What pro audio gear would I actually want for this task? And when I came home I looked around a little bit on the internet.

There is a somewhat rare breed that seems to me like the right way to go for many an audio product, be that for live or studio or hifi:

digitally controlled analog.
There was some talk somewhere about a product that was both analog and digital, yet was not a DAC. Was it the Syn or something else?

Anyways... I want that in my EQ. Especially for a dynamic EQ, with precision and versatility. Which might be pretty cool in a hifi system, especially if it is really good at rescuing the overly compressed. (Using one of these effectively is a skill, but with a good explanation and putting in a bit of time experimenting with it I do think anyone who cares about sound can learn it.)

Another cool tool for hifi and pro systems alike, that would benefit greatly from a DCA approach, would be a flexible harmonic distortion adder. 2nd, 3rd, all the even, all the odd, which levels, if all the way up then how do the levels fall off et.c.

(And I want DCA in my mic preamps and in my mixer, but I don't think Schiit are about to make any pro-audio-only devices, for now... even though it would be quite interesting to see what they would do. Much more competition in reasonably priced high quality stuff in that market though.)

I don't think any of these are good guesses for what Syn is though. I think the blind listening facilitator is my good guess.

Mar 28, 2023 at 7:35 PM Post #114,852 of 152,846
Yes, Unison and a $30 usb WiFi adapter makes the SoTM the perfect ready assembled Roon endpoint. I got mine for $350 on sale. I have about $250 into my Pi endpoint with the added software licenses. I had to piece it all together.

I agree with you. I want to believe these inexpensive “chi-fi” products live up to the hype. However, reality is often different.

I’d be cautious with using iPhone/iPad for endpoint, I found Roon would randomly stop and shut down on the idevice with long listening sessions.

I was unfamiliar with this company. I am delighted by an audio firm that sells a network player for $450 but the Ethernet cable to hook it up costs $1200...

Mar 28, 2023 at 7:36 PM Post #114,853 of 152,846
Some kind of digital device that takes a stereo digital signal and produces a combined (center) signal for a center speaker for use with TV/Movies and potentially music. Sure would be nice not having to buy an overpriced Dolby AVR with 11 channels that I don't need and an obsolescence of about 2.5 years.
I wish it is this. That is exactly what I want.

Mar 28, 2023 at 7:51 PM Post #114,854 of 152,846
I was unfamiliar with this company. I am delighted by an audio firm that sells a network player for $450 but the Ethernet cable to hook it up costs $1200...
Well, you got to find the gold nugget in the dirt. :dt880smile:

The SoTM I have is incredibly well made (and good looking). It has a very nice web-based UI that has all the streaming protocols I'm aware exist. It also is a music server (minim, bubble UPnP, DLNA).

Mar 28, 2023 at 7:55 PM Post #114,855 of 152,846
That's fine until they hear unexplained noises on the second floor. :wink:
LOL, yeah, they have had problems with bats on and off. Mostly they used to come down the 40 foot tall stone fireplace in the living room but he had a fireplace insert installed, a couple years ago, that slows them down.:relaxed:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back