Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Dec 22, 2022 at 3:55 PM Post #106,306 of 152,976
On a vaguely unrelated matter: Is it just me or is she a hottie!!?? She's like a stick figure version of Taylor Swift. :smirk:

Screenshot 2022-12-22 085012.png
This girl is fairly hot to me as well. I'd only put 15% or so of that down to the hair though, 50% her intelligence, 15% her knowledge and the remaining 20% her sense of humor.

But I'd never date her. Way too chaotic and straight up dangerous.

Dec 22, 2022 at 4:51 PM Post #106,309 of 152,976
As a lifetime software guy, I feel sad that my technical culture mostly ignores this in favor of feature-on-top-of-feature just because it seemed a good idea (to marketing, especially) at the time, and the downstream costs from feature interaction bugs are externalized to the consumer.
One of the newish developments I like is the user forum, especially the forums where company folk participate. I've gotten some really helpful answers to my questions and solutions to my troubles in various forums. But, even so, I still agree with @earnmyturns, I wish software developers didn't use their customer base as beta testers. I'd love to buy software which worked.

Unrelated or maybe just a tangent: I'd like for software companies to go through their various programs and clean out all the obsolete lines which have been commented out. Or maybe they do that already? I think congress and state legislatures should do the same thing.

Dec 22, 2022 at 5:35 PM Post #106,310 of 152,976
Someone got $405 on ebay for their used Piety.
I've owned and eventually sold several < $1K solid-state amps more expensive than Piety, including Asgard 2, Jotunheim, Liquid Carbon. I don't plan to sell my Piety. Everything I'd prefer to it, which I either currently own or have owned is considerably more expensive. I've been thinking about doing a side-by-side comparison with the vintage Eddie Current Black Widow 2 I own that the Piety reminds me of somewhat, but the two amps have ended on opposite coasts so it won't be soon.

Likely the Piety was priced the way it was because its history and looks put it in the Magni price bracket, and both Schiit and Nitsch are gauging-averse. But if it was presented in a different case, I bet they could have asked $500 and many would have taken it. So, the $405 is just getting it closer to where it belongs in auditory goodies/$ :ksc75smile:

Dec 22, 2022 at 5:40 PM Post #106,311 of 152,976
I just added some more acoustic panels to my listening room and the difference is night and day. I love how much cleaner and more airy music is. More focused. I'm guessing I got rid of some signal bounce to have gained so much. And given the price of ATS panels I don't know why everyone doesn't treat their room well.

Dec 22, 2022 at 5:56 PM Post #106,312 of 152,976
Dec 22, 2022 at 6:08 PM Post #106,313 of 152,976
I liked some of Taylor's stuff when she was borderline country. Since she went full pop, I stopped buying the new albums.
Right there with you, although her pop is not nearly as bad as others in the genre.

Dec 22, 2022 at 6:09 PM Post #106,314 of 152,976
I just added some more acoustic panels to my listening room and the difference is night and day. I love how much cleaner and more airy music is. More focused. I'm guessing I got rid of some signal bounce to have gained so much. And given the price of ATS panels I don't know why everyone doesn't treat their room well.
Dammit. Now I have something new to lust after. Where'd you get them?

Dec 22, 2022 at 6:29 PM Post #106,315 of 152,976
TLDR?
One more observation on blind testing. A frequent “requirement” passed on by the demanders, is “no discussion”, for fear that people will influence each other. I disagree. I work with technical people and groups usually make better decisions than individuals. Not always, but usually. I had an experience recently that bears on this.

I test large industrial stuff, I won’t mention the product or the company. I am not an expert in anything but I am an expert in “getting all the right experts there, and getting them to agree.” We had a product in test, I was not present, it belched flame out of a vent where no flame was expected. The first response in the room was, “DUDE!” and the second response was, “Schiit, shut it down, we broke it!” But inspection revealed no broken parts so we carefully ran it again. It did not sound funny or smell funny and the output was good, so we carefully repeated the test point that had produced a flame. The flame reappeared. We called in the chemical kinetics team, they are both really smart and really frustrating. They thought for a day or so and then patiently explained that what we saw was not flame, it was simply hot gas with glowing dust and soot. Glowing yellow orange because it was really hot. “That sounds like flame” I said, but apparently it just looks like flame. Don’t stick your hand in it, regardless. The chemical kinetics experts prescribed a series of tests to see where and when this non-flame occurred. We hired a guy with a super expensive infrared camera to photograph the entire test. He was so expensive that we only got him for one day. He set up his camera looking at our equipment and set up his computers in a spare room down the hall and we forgot about him. He was so introverted that he didn’t even come out for pizza. (We invited him!)

There were about ten of us in the room, engineers, mechanics, a crane operator, a PhD Chemist, a co-op who still doesn’t shave, a rising young executive. We ran the test through several test points and everyone either saw the non-flame or they didn’t see it. Until one test point. Everyone said, “Nothing” except for two people who said, “I saw it.” We reran that point, everyone but two guys saw nothing, those two still saw something. We argued a bit until I remembered the guy with the fancy camera, who was getting actual numerical readings of infrared energy. (That is where I earned my pay.) We visited him. He was seeing a whopping infrared “bloom” on our test points with the visible “flame.” We asked about the last two test points? They had that same infrared bloom but it was diminished, he said, “maybe half the total energy.” So we finished the test and reported some points with a visible effect, some with none, and two that had “some visibility.” The expensive guy with the expensive camera went away. On the next test we went in expecting mixed results and planning to “vote.” We actually found more tests point with mixed results, and were mildly surprised when more people saw “low level” stuff. The team spontaneously started rating the observations as “Yes we saw it”, “No, nothing” or “partial visibility.” Partial meant a few saw it and a few didn't. I believe that the interactions and discussions made people more observant, not less. No one had any ego involved, we were just watching glowing gas. And the guy who could actually measure stuff helped us make a decision about what we saw. The chemists were able to use all this to solve the problem.

So I think blind testing should have open minded discussion between people who are willing to argue constructively. With the possibility to demand replays. And a willingness to respect the other person even when a result is unexpected.

Dec 22, 2022 at 6:35 PM Post #106,316 of 152,976
"According to the Recording Industry Association of America (RIAA), Swift has accumulated 49 million certified album units in the United States. As of November 2022, she is the woman with the most weeks (60) at number one on the US Billboard 200."

Yeah. You may actually be the only one. :D
Nah...I canna stand her. I am more a Connie Dover kinda toad. :beerchug:

Dec 22, 2022 at 6:37 PM Post #106,317 of 152,976
C6BCCBE7-9CB7-4E3D-9F75-77777F3C05CA.jpeg

My son is used to his home bar, I can’t compete.🤪 Generally we will just grab a very good bottle of scotch as well as a high proof bourbon when he visits. He often gives me Old Elk that is made for the Virginia liquor stores.
Izzat a "Soccerball" tube up there on the ceiling?! OOooooooo...Pretty cool looking!

Dec 22, 2022 at 6:41 PM Post #106,318 of 152,976
Dammit. Now I have something new to lust after. Where'd you get them?
Available from ATS or Amazon. Seeing as I use an Amazon CC that gives me 5% back on anything I buy from them that is where I ordered them. Shipped from ATS and here in less than 2 weeks. This is my second set of their panels and each set has made a significant improvement in how the room sounds. Can't recommend them enough.

Dec 22, 2022 at 6:42 PM Post #106,319 of 152,976
TLDR?
One more observation on blind testing. A frequent “requirement” passed on by the demanders, is “no discussion”, for fear that people will influence each other. I disagree. I work with technical people and groups usually make better decisions than individuals. Not always, but usually. I had an experience recently that bears on this.

I test large industrial stuff, I won’t mention the product or the company. I am not an expert in anything but I am an expert in “getting all the right experts there, and getting them to agree.” We had a product in test, I was not present, it belched flame out of a vent where no flame was expected. The first response in the room was, “DUDE!” and the second response was, “Schiit, shut it down, we broke it!” But inspection revealed no broken parts so we carefully ran it again. It did not sound funny or smell funny and the output was good, so we carefully repeated the test point that had produced a flame. The flame reappeared. We called in the chemical kinetics team, they are both really smart and really frustrating. They thought for a day or so and then patiently explained that what we saw was not flame, it was simply hot gas with glowing dust and soot. Glowing yellow orange because it was really hot. “That sounds like flame” I said, but apparently it just looks like flame. Don’t stick your hand in it, regardless. The chemical kinetics experts prescribed a series of tests to see where and when this non-flame occurred. We hired a guy with a super expensive infrared camera to photograph the entire test. He was so expensive that we only got him for one day. He set up his camera looking at our equipment and set up his computers in a spare room down the hall and we forgot about him. He was so introverted that he didn’t even come out for pizza. (We invited him!)

There were about ten of us in the room, engineers, mechanics, a crane operator, a PhD Chemist, a co-op who still doesn’t shave, a rising young executive. We ran the test through several test points and everyone either saw the non-flame or they didn’t see it. Until one test point. Everyone said, “Nothing” except for two people who said, “I saw it.” We reran that point, everyone but two guys saw nothing, those two still saw something. We argued a bit until I remembered the guy with the fancy camera, who was getting actual numerical readings of infrared energy. (That is where I earned my pay.) We visited him. He was seeing a whopping infrared “bloom” on our test points with the visible “flame.” We asked about the last two test points? They had that same infrared bloom but it was diminished, he said, “maybe half the total energy.” So we finished the test and reported some points with a visible effect, some with none, and two that had “some visibility.” The expensive guy with the expensive camera went away. On the next test we went in expecting mixed results and planning to “vote.” We actually found more tests point with mixed results, and were mildly surprised when more people saw “low level” stuff. The team spontaneously started rating the observations as “Yes we saw it”, “No, nothing” or “partial visibility.” Partial meant a few saw it and a few didn't. I believe that the interactions and discussions made people more observant, not less. No one had any ego involved, we were just watching glowing gas. And the guy who could actually measure stuff helped us make a decision about what we saw. The chemists were able to use all this to solve the problem.

So I think blind testing should have open minded discussion between people who are willing to argue constructively. With the possibility to demand replays. And a willingness to respect the other person even when a result is unexpected.
Triple like. Very good story, very good point, and I very strongly agree. I have had similar experiences in somewhat similar settings.

Dec 22, 2022 at 6:42 PM Post #106,320 of 152,976
It's always worth checking the Urban Dictionary :). Such as their 4th definition of "gaslight": https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Gaslight
The Urban Dictionary is the same website that created an entry for "pointels" because someone on a forum was unable to spell "pointless".

Wikipedia is rarely accepted as an Academic source because of the dubious nature of some editing.

The Urban Dictionary is far below Wikipedia and part of the reason, educated recourse is rare on social media.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back