Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Dec 22, 2022 at 6:58 PM Post #106,321 of 152,982
I've owned and eventually sold several < $1K solid-state amps more expensive than Piety, including Asgard 2, Jotunheim, Liquid Carbon. I don't plan to sell my Piety. Everything I'd prefer to it, which I either currently own or have owned is considerably more expensive. I've been thinking about doing a side-by-side comparison with the vintage Eddie Current Black Widow 2 I own that the Piety reminds me of somewhat, but the two amps have ended on opposite coasts so it won't be soon.

Likely the Piety was priced the way it was because its history and looks put it in the Magni price bracket, and both Schiit and Nitsch are gauging-averse. But if it was presented in a different case, I bet they could have asked $500 and many would have taken it. So, the $405 is just getting it closer to where it belongs in auditory goodies/$ :ksc75smile:

Opinions being what they are- I was talking with a friend about this earlier, and I think what gets me most about it is that one of the hallmarks of Schiit gear is accessibility, and while $400-500 is still very accessible....it is a very long way from $150. Maybe it's a bit naïve, but if/when I sell mine, it'll be for the same $150 (plus shipping :ksc75smile:) I paid, because maybe that'll help grow the community.

Dec 22, 2022 at 7:06 PM Post #106,323 of 152,982
758y7t.jpg

Well done, sir.

Dec 22, 2022 at 7:25 PM Post #106,324 of 152,982
The Urban Dictionary is the same website that created an entry for "pointels" because someone on a forum was unable to spell "pointless".

Wikipedia is rarely accepted as an Academic source because of the dubious nature of some editing.

The Urban Dictionary is far below Wikipedia and part of the reason, educated recourse is rare on social media.
And here I am, thinking that Urban Dictionary was created tongue-in-cheek for entertainment and not intended to be taken seriously.

Dec 22, 2022 at 7:35 PM Post #106,325 of 152,982
Dec 22, 2022 at 7:59 PM Post #106,328 of 152,982
-+
As Jason has said many times: we don't need these things. Except maybe a Fulla, and maybe lower gain than that if we have sensitive headphones. Hifi is all about desire, a desire to hear music beautifully reproduced.

Or, you make a deal and say if my AhTh wins vs this guy's JJ, I'll buy a Mimby 2.

Then it's a need.

Dec 22, 2022 at 8:02 PM Post #106,329 of 152,982
Dave would use a theoretical best guess, and shrug when people complained that the random-walk radius was too small and didn't have observer=1 lockouts.
Ivana would say "what is hardware", but would come up with a Maps-connected algorithm to pinpoint the exact locations where the bladders should be voided.
Stephan would use Ivana's algorithm, but the line "bladdershut = 0" might not be commented out after initial testing.
I just had tea come out my nose because I laughed so hard when I read the third line.

Dec 22, 2022 at 8:24 PM Post #106,331 of 152,982
On a vaguely unrelated matter: Is it just me or is she a hottie!!?? She's like a stick figure version of Taylor Swift. :smirk:

Screenshot 2022-12-22 085012.png
Maybe, maybe not. But why does she have a goldfish on her head?

Dec 22, 2022 at 8:53 PM Post #106,332 of 152,982
... But, even so, I still agree with @earnmyturns, I wish software developers didn't use their customer base as beta testers. I'd love to buy software which worked.

Unrelated or maybe just a tangent: I'd like for software companies to go through their various programs and clean out all the obsolete lines which have been commented out. Or maybe they do that already? I think congress and state legislatures should do the same thing.
It's not the software developers who use the customers as beta testers. It's the marketers aided and abetted by the UI designers.

Regarding "obsolete" stuff most software developers don't bother to develop automated test suites so as to know that what they have works; so, in an excess of caution (aka cowardice) they don't change anything they don't have to.

It's a shame, really, as it means I have to wait even longer for Stephenson's Metaverse...

Dec 22, 2022 at 8:56 PM Post #106,333 of 152,982
TLDR?
One more observation on blind testing. A frequent “requirement” passed on by the demanders, is “no discussion”, for fear that people will influence each other. I disagree. I work with technical people and groups usually make better decisions than individuals. Not always, but usually. I had an experience recently that bears on this.

I test large industrial stuff, I won’t mention the product or the company. I am not an expert in anything but I am an expert in “getting all the right experts there, and getting them to agree.” We had a product in test, I was not present, it belched flame out of a vent where no flame was expected. The first response in the room was, “DUDE!” and the second response was, “Schiit, shut it down, we broke it!” But inspection revealed no broken parts so we carefully ran it again. It did not sound funny or smell funny and the output was good, so we carefully repeated the test point that had produced a flame. The flame reappeared. We called in the chemical kinetics team, they are both really smart and really frustrating. They thought for a day or so and then patiently explained that what we saw was not flame, it was simply hot gas with glowing dust and soot. Glowing yellow orange because it was really hot. “That sounds like flame” I said, but apparently it just looks like flame. Don’t stick your hand in it, regardless. The chemical kinetics experts prescribed a series of tests to see where and when this non-flame occurred. We hired a guy with a super expensive infrared camera to photograph the entire test. He was so expensive that we only got him for one day. He set up his camera looking at our equipment and set up his computers in a spare room down the hall and we forgot about him. He was so introverted that he didn’t even come out for pizza. (We invited him!)

There were about ten of us in the room, engineers, mechanics, a crane operator, a PhD Chemist, a co-op who still doesn’t shave, a rising young executive. We ran the test through several test points and everyone either saw the non-flame or they didn’t see it. Until one test point. Everyone said, “Nothing” except for two people who said, “I saw it.” We reran that point, everyone but two guys saw nothing, those two still saw something. We argued a bit until I remembered the guy with the fancy camera, who was getting actual numerical readings of infrared energy. (That is where I earned my pay.) We visited him. He was seeing a whopping infrared “bloom” on our test points with the visible “flame.” We asked about the last two test points? They had that same infrared bloom but it was diminished, he said, “maybe half the total energy.” So we finished the test and reported some points with a visible effect, some with none, and two that had “some visibility.” The expensive guy with the expensive camera went away. On the next test we went in expecting mixed results and planning to “vote.” We actually found more tests point with mixed results, and were mildly surprised when more people saw “low level” stuff. The team spontaneously started rating the observations as “Yes we saw it”, “No, nothing” or “partial visibility.” Partial meant a few saw it and a few didn't. I believe that the interactions and discussions made people more observant, not less. No one had any ego involved, we were just watching glowing gas. And the guy who could actually measure stuff helped us make a decision about what we saw. The chemists were able to use all this to solve the problem.

So I think blind testing should have open minded discussion between people who are willing to argue constructively. With the possibility to demand replays. And a willingness to respect the other person even when a result is unexpected.
In my line of business, we separate evaluation, statistical analysis, and decision. Well-trained evaluators score A/B pairs without knowing which is the experiment. Their data is collected and statistically summarized by analysts who pick out the main trends for discussion. That is presented to a decision meeting where surprising/concerning trends are discussed, and for the most part, a consensus emerges as to whether the experiment is preferable to the reference, or whether the experiment might be promising but more work is needed to understand the outliers. One typical rookie mistake is when the designer of an experiment sees the aggregate statistics and based on that claims that the experiment is obviously better than the reference, only to learn in the final discussion that the unexplained cases, whether they favor the experiment or the reference, are what is most important to understand for a sound decision.

Dec 22, 2022 at 8:58 PM Post #106,334 of 152,982
And so it begins ... now a couple more have sprung up starting at $300
Meanwhile my Piety is happily amplifying away on my desktop :)
They should run an auction :wink:

Dec 22, 2022 at 9:17 PM Post #106,335 of 152,982
And so it begins ... now a couple more have sprung up starting at $300
Meanwhile my Piety is happily amplifying away on my desktop :)
My plan is to sell my Mani 1, Loki 1, and broken Vali 2 (switch on back is broke due to being in a storage box without padding) with the Piety for $495.

No upcharge for silver or postage!

p.s. The Jotunheim 2 is a better amplifier by both leaps, and bounds.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back