Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Dec 22, 2022 at 11:36 PM Post #106,351 of 151,379
karen-carpenter-3.jpg

Wouldn't it be loverly...

Dec 22, 2022 at 11:47 PM Post #106,352 of 151,379
el1.jpg

So...so...Beautiful. And her voice then and now belongs to an angel. Ella. Before all others there was and remains, Ella. When I saw Ella and Karen together on a TV special decades ago I thought it was what God must surely listen to. My beloved mom introduced me to her music and like Sinatra, she owns so many, many great songs and of course a place in my life's soundtrack. All three of these ladies of song do. There are more of them but these three pretty much are the top for me, but I am probably going to be shuffled off to banned camp for doing this.

G'nite, gentlemen and of course a very good night to own our loverly lady here, AudioGal.

Dec 23, 2022 at 12:22 AM Post #106,353 of 151,379
Just got my Modi Multibit 2 in today! I don't have a SYS or similar setup to compare against my Modi 3+ and haven't had the time to anyways so I don't have much to say about sound for now. I do need to warn anyone who listens to tracks with varying sample rates that the MM2 has an audible click when switching between them (which I assume is the muting relay based on Jason's introduction). I only have 44.1kHz/16bit and 88.2kHz/24bit so I can't really say whether it is triggered by changes in sample rate, bit depth, or both.

Dec 23, 2022 at 12:40 AM Post #106,355 of 151,379
if Modi Multibit 2 (MM2) is similar to its bigger brothers (Bifrost Multibit OG, Gungnir Multibit) also using ADI converters it may benefit from being powered up for a while before running any comparisons with Modi 3+ etc.

to my ears with my setup, Bifrost Multibit OG (also using AD5547 DAC chip) sounds better when left on 24/7. YMMV.

Last edited:
Dec 23, 2022 at 1:26 AM Post #106,356 of 151,379
To my ears the original Modi Multibit took about a half hour to warm up and get to that happier place (it was already happy at turn on). I'd imagine the new one will be the same. I resisted the shiny new toy urge on Wednesday and bought a 16 y.o. Balvenie instead, so I will have to compare Modi Multibits at a later date.

Dec 23, 2022 at 1:53 AM Post #106,357 of 151,379
To my ears the original Modi Multibit took about a half hour to warm up and get to that happier place (it was already happy at turn on). I'd imagine the new one will be the same. I resisted the shiny new toy urge on Wednesday and bought a 16 y.o. Balvenie instead, so I will have to compare Modi Multibits at a later date.

Would be interesting to see a comparison from someone who knows the sound of the old version, but after a certain point it's hard to justify every new release. The Balvenie might even be able to improve the sound quicker than you can warm up your Modi.

I can definitely say the MM2 sounds better after warming up. First impressions compared to the Modi 3+ are good so far (just switching the RCA back and forth). I'm not sure exactly what but something about the lows on this DAC stands out to me in a good way. Feels smoother than the 3+, but can't tell if its at the expense of any detail until I get a good switching setup.

Also note to self - don't use Just Another Nervous Wreck / Supertramp as the first careful listening test for a new DAC... forgot how much weird distortion is on that track and had to double check that it was the track itself. :)

Dec 23, 2022 at 2:06 AM Post #106,359 of 151,379
Would be interesting to see a comparison from someone who knows the sound of the old version, but after a certain point it's hard to justify every new release. The Balvenie might even be able to improve the sound quicker than you can warm up your Modi.

I can definitely say the MM2 sounds better after warming up. First impressions compared to the Modi 3+ are good so far (just switching the RCA back and forth). I'm not sure exactly what but something about the lows on this DAC stands out to me in a good way. Feels smoother than the 3+, but can't tell if its at the expense of any detail until I get a good switching setup.

Also note to self - don't use Just Another Nervous Wreck / Supertramp as the first careful listening test for a new DAC... forgot how much weird distortion is on that track and had to double check that it was the track itself. :)

I like some selections off Even In The Quietest Moments for DAC/Amp/HP testing/comparisons.

Also, a Balvenie that old takes me about 2 hours to enjoy a single pour, that stuff is best savored, thought about, and reflected on... Gotta let all the flavors play out from start to finish.

Last edited:
Dec 23, 2022 at 2:54 AM Post #106,360 of 151,379
I just added some more acoustic panels to my listening room and the difference is night and day. I love how much cleaner and more airy music is. More focused. I'm guessing I got rid of some signal bounce to have gained so much. And given the price of ATS panels I don't know why everyone doesn't treat their room well.
Wives...

It's not the software developers who use the customers as beta testers. It's the marketers aided and abetted by the UI designers.

Regarding "obsolete" stuff most software developers don't bother to develop automated test suites so as to know that what they have works; so, in an excess of caution (aka cowardice) they don't change anything they don't have to.

It's a shame, really, as it means I have to wait even longer for Stephenson's Metaverse...
I meant Software Developers rather than software developers. As in the companies as wholes rather than the groups of people in dark rooms coding away. My specific example is the media server program I use. In general I like it but every new release has bugs and an active forum where users post bugs and the developers post fixes/ patches. I realize if I take current reality as one extreme, the other extreme might result in programs staying in testing so long that there would never be a new release/ update. But I wish new software was stable out of the gate.

And don't take what I say too seriously, what I know about programming wouldn't fill a thimble. This is all just general user frustration when something doesn't work and I can't fix it myself.

It is the current that kills, a half amp across the heart can do it.:)
"How many amps are there?"
"Enough to push a train, lady. And shut up!"

Movie quote, not intending to be nasty toward anyone.

Better hire an expensive guy with an infrared camera to be sure you're not seeing things...

@Pondoro's was a pretty cool story, though. While reading about the "sometimes visible not-flames" I was reminded about the highway signs on the road to the observatory on Mauna Kea which warn about invisible cows.

Last edited:
Dec 23, 2022 at 4:36 AM Post #106,362 of 151,379
And here I am, thinking that Urban Dictionary was created tongue-in-cheek for entertainment and not intended to be taken seriously.
Not sure about the site as a whole, but for the content on there I think this is true for somewhere between a third and half of it. Still worth a visit from time to time, for either purpose, but certainly not always - and stay away from taking it seriously if you don't know exactly what you're doing.

That is my take. I'm not a professional linguist and YMMV.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back