Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Dec 14, 2022 at 10:19 AM Post #105,616 of 151,904
Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Dec 14, 2022 at 10:28 AM Post #105,617 of 151,904
giphy (7).gif

Dec 14, 2022 at 10:29 AM Post #105,618 of 151,904
With regards to switching supplies and class D and such, I can't help but wonder if you've listened to the old NAD Direct Digital stuff - the M2, the C390 DD and the D7050. Because all the class D I've ever heard except these sounded like crap to me.

It is some PWM all-the-way with a PWM feedback loop wizardry in there. The tech is patented and bought by Qualcomm and apparently not coming back to hifi amps. But, at least to my ears, this tech did solve the problem.

The new way-too-expensive Eigentakt NAD, and the Lyngdorf stuff, is significantly less crap than most class D but not quite there to my ears.
When I introduced the idea of Class D to Ivana, our resident Master of Algorithms (and the person finishing up our own delta-sigma modulator for Singularity) she jumped and winced visibly, asking, "How can that be good?"

When someone who's intimately familiar with the challenges of getting high performance from reduced-bit systems--and reduced-bit is still going to be a lot better than 1-bit, or PWM--reacts like that, well, that tells you something.

Dave's already gone well beyond commercially available Class D. It still wasn't something we wanted to sell.

We are well aware of the game-changing, holy-grail aspects of a truly wonderful Class D amp, but we are also well aware of the technical challenges, the need for extreme amounts of feedback and/or error correction to make good numbers, the problem of output filtering for general-purpose use (rather than inside-the-speaker, driver-specific applications)...we just haven't been able to make it yet.

Last edited:

Dec 14, 2022 at 11:44 AM Post #105,621 of 151,904
Seriously dating myself but my all time favorite was a stock IBM AT Style mechanical keyboard - LOUD and very satisfying, especially when frustrated :wink:. It had the large round connector that I found a PS2 style adapter for more recently. I'd share a photo of it, but during that period of my IT life I was mildly addicted to cheetos and the keyboard aquired a bit of, ummm, a "patina". Wouldn't want to spoil anyone's dinner......
All time favorite is my IBM Model M from 1988. That's probably when I bought it. Used it up to around 2015 when I was having problems with ps2 adapter / computer compatibility. It has seen occasional use since, when I need a second keyboard.
Tried a re-issue Model M from https://www.pckeyboard.com but wasn't entirely happy with it. Decided I wanted back lit keys (I always seem to end up working in the dark when it's too much trouble to get up and turn on a light) and gifted it to a friend.
Replaced with a WASD code 87-key with Cherry MX Clear keys. Clear's were a little too stiff and I was mising leters too often. Compatibility issues with Linux or my hardware. Frequent resets and (logically) stuck keys. It was a bitch when it decided to start repeating backspaces.
Didn't learn my lesson and tried a newer WASD code 87-key with Cherry Brown. Not in love with the keys and it also had compatibility issues (two different systems).
Currently using a Logitech K854 Mechanical Illuminated with Cherry MX Red keys. It's working fine. I also got one with Logitech Blue keys for my media system (where I often am sitting in the dark). Logitech Blue's are extra clicky. No compatibility issues with the Logitech.
However I'm seriously considering getting some LED strip lighting and reviving the old Model M. I have newer better serial to USB adapters that work well with it.

Dec 14, 2022 at 11:45 AM Post #105,622 of 151,904
We are well aware of the game-changing, holy-grail aspects of a truly wonderful Class D amp, but we are also well aware of the technical challenges, the need for extreme amounts of feedback and/or error correction to make good numbers, the problem of output filtering for general-purpose use (rather than inside-the-speaker, driver-specific applications)...we just haven't been able to make it yet.
As someone who imported, built and sold hundreds of Class D amps using Hypex modules from when they first hit the scene until just recently when I closed that shop, I can say that yes the technology has gotten much better. But, in my opinion, they are suitable for subwoofer amps where 10% distortion is a good metric, and not for much else. So unless you start making subwoofer amps, I say your decision to stay away from Class D is a good one.

Dec 14, 2022 at 11:54 AM Post #105,623 of 151,904
All time favorite is my IBM Model M from 1988. That's probably when I bought it. Used it up to around 2015 when I was having problems with ps2 adapter / computer compatibility. It has seen occasional use since, when I need a second keyboard.
Tried a re-issue Model M from https://www.pckeyboard.com but wasn't entirely happy with it. Decided I wanted back lit keys (I always seem to end up working in the dark when it's too much trouble to get up and turn on a light) and gifted it to a friend.
Replaced with a WASD code 87-key with Cherry MX Clear keys. Clear's were a little too stiff and I was mising leters too often. Compatibility issues with Linux or my hardware. Frequent resets and (logically) stuck keys. It was a bitch when it decided to start repeating backspaces.
Didn't learn my lesson and tried a newer WASD code 87-key with Cherry Brown. Not in love with the keys and it also had compatibility issues (two different systems).
Currently using a Logitech K854 Mechanical Illuminated with Cherry MX Red keys. It's working fine. I also got one with Logitech Blue keys for my media system (where I often am sitting in the dark). Logitech Blue's are extra clicky. No compatibility issues with the Logitech.
However I'm seriously considering getting some LED strip lighting and reviving the old Model M. I have newer better serial to USB adapters that work well with it.
Cherry released their official Ergo Clear switch, which is like Clear with lighter spring. Could be a good middle ground between Brown and Clear.

Though if you want RGB you could look up Topre RGB keyboard. I personally like Topre switch more for tactile switches. Cherry I like linear switches.

Or alternatively my friend super highly recommend monitor light, it's light that mount on monitors. Should look it up.

Dec 14, 2022 at 12:05 PM Post #105,624 of 151,904
Somebody here several pages ago called it the "VoltsBanger", an appropriate name! I'm sorely tempted, but I've already bought a lot of Schiit this year (as in every piece I have), and my Freya N will arrive Friday. My MagPie arrived Monday, and at least 2 of the forthcoming Schiit pieces will be ordered the day they drop.
I know I read that somewhere here.. ah, here it is, in the Vali2 thread: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/official-schiit-vali-2-thread.790828/post-17261103 by @Mr Trev, perfect! Insta-like from me 😁

Dec 14, 2022 at 12:10 PM Post #105,626 of 151,904
https://www.modelfkeyboards.com/

Dec 14, 2022 at 12:12 PM Post #105,627 of 151,904
So I moved the electronics over to my “B” system and found the warmth I was missing. This combo is stunning!

Speakers are GR Research X-Statiks with a Sealed Servo-controlled subwoofer.

Tyr has elevated these towers to a level of which I didn't know they were capable! They just seem to have total control of the drivers and yet still provide a ton of air, depth, and dynamic energy.

The X-Statiks use a soft dome Peerless tweeter. It’s not as transparent as the Super 7’s planar tweeter, but it is more forgiving of poor recordings. These are particularly great for rock, techno, and similar music.

AC61986C-F7E3-4D5C-ABEC-1FCA5277FE21.jpeg

Last edited:
Dec 14, 2022 at 12:31 PM Post #105,628 of 151,904
And suddenly I remember that you do put 4, 6 or 8 ohm impedance into the settings of these amps, and it does make a difference. Interesting. One day maybe it could be sensed and adjusted for?

That'll help, but best would be tailoring to the actual complex impedance curve of a specific driver. That's why Class D embedded in a speaker (bi-amped or tri-amped) usually gives much better results--you can either flatten the speaker impedance, or compensate for it in the filter.
Wow, I can't believe Vidar is 6 years old, I didn't realize I'd had them that long!

@Jason Stoddard Is Vidar 2 an upgrade vs. OG Vidar when it comes to 4 ohm mono loads, or about the same?
Same power, but sounds better! (Yes, heretical...)

Dec 14, 2022 at 12:34 PM Post #105,629 of 151,904
So I moved the electronics over to my “B” system and found the warmth I was missing. This combo is stunning!

Speakers are GR Research X-Statiks with a Sealed Servo-controlled subwoofer.

Tyr has elevated these towers to a level of which I didn't know they were capable! They just seem to have total control of the drivers and yet still provide a ton of air, depth, and dynamic energy.

The X-Statiks use a soft dome Peerless tweeter. It’s not as transparent as the Super 7’s planar tweeter, but it is more forgiving of poor recordings. These are particularly great for rock, techno, and similar music.

AC61986C-F7E3-4D5C-ABEC-1FCA5277FE21.jpeg

Nice...! :laughing:

So, the tube sub is a servo sub. Impressive. Can you share details, brand?

Thanks!

Dec 14, 2022 at 12:38 PM Post #105,630 of 151,904
I don't even have non-powered speakers, and I want two! Maybe one day...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back