Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Dec 8, 2022 at 7:03 PM Post #105,271 of 152,545
So the amp uses three 12AU7's or is it five? Would you say the voltage amp is the most critical?

These are among my favorites.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/124331759896?

I also have some RFT's I really like. Brimar CV 4003's as well.

Whatever you do, do not buy any tubes lol. Figure out what will help the most and I will see what I can do for you.

I do have some extras. :ksc75smile:
Lansdale? I've never heard of them. Info? (Just out of curiosity).

I've tried a bunch of 12AU7s in different gear (though not near all of the NOS ones). My favorites are the Radiotechnique 6189 (from '56 & '65), the various (NOS) Mullards (short plate CV4003 are better for drivers, regular and long plates better for DACs and pre-amp sections), Amperex, and RCA and Raytheon black plates (good everywhere). The RCA and Raytheon are still available at non crazy prices, the others not so much. Didn't care much for Sylvania, Tung Sol, Tungsram, Telefunken, GE, and Brimar (this last was the best of these though a bit wooly for my taste) but I didn't try many variations of type or year. YMMV.

Last edited:
Dec 8, 2022 at 7:07 PM Post #105,272 of 152,545
Got my upgraded Yggdrasil+ back by FedEx today. This is a much nicer chassis. I never liked the original chassis much. It just seemed large and awkward.

Now I have my entire stack black except for me Freya+.

Anyone ever tried spray painting silver Schiit black with matt black paint? Obviously I would remove the cover first...

Last edited:
Dec 8, 2022 at 7:30 PM Post #105,273 of 152,545
Playing catch up -

Had fun with FedEx, had to put it on hold at local since I am not home when they want to sign, thankfully I was out of town anyways because it always said it was out for delivery, not at the location but drove by on the way home from the airport and it was there. Had to go behind the counter because a Rag 2 was too heavy for them. :beyersmile: Now to setup the Rag on a shelf in the outbuilding with Klipsch bookshelves - the outbuilding needs a lot of work.

I know I need to hone and sharpen my kitchen knives, but I cheat and grab the serrated ones for now, next step is a good stone.

Can't use fountain pens, wet ink and left handed does not work well together.

Like my das Keyboard with brown keys.

I use a contour Perfit mouse for left handed - when I throw in using my left hand for the mouse, a huge market segment goes away.

Sadly lost the Satsuma crop this year, had to drop trees for the home insurance company and the first one slipped and squished them, saved both but they are half the size they used to be before the tree fell. Looking forward to the fig tree and pear tree this next year, and a couple years from now when the pecan trees are ready. I figure I need to add some apple and northern banana trees to round it out.

Dec 8, 2022 at 7:37 PM Post #105,274 of 152,545
No, the "gender change" adapter is not enough, actually. The pin-out is non-standard as well.

I believe it was something along the lines of:
pin 3 to pin 1
pin 4 to pin 2
pin 1 to pin 4
pin 2 to pin 3
…where the left is the headphone cable's normal pin number and the right is the amp's pin number.
Or the other way around?
I don't remember.

You definitely want to do a google search to be sure, don't take my word for it.

But the whole point is: Beware of the non-standard pin-out.
Yep, that's why I recommended Snake Oil Cables. They have done these actual cables, and also speaker output cables. And I can verify they work. It's not just a gender change. One channel will be inverted with a gender-change-only cable.

I once had a 10 patty burger thingy at In-N-Out. My supervisor at the time thought it would be fun and so we all went there for lunch and I consumed the whole thing. I used to be what was once known as a "trencherman" in my quest for calories to build muscle with. I had 8 medium pizzas at one lunch and we went to an all you can eat prime rib feastival where i had an estimated 3+ lbs of meat along with anything else they gave me.

Mike Moffat was famous for grilling up, like, an 8 lb tri-tip (not even sure about what mutant cow that came off of) and sharing it with myself and one other guest. When asked about sides, he'd respond, "Why?" And the three of us would finish the tri-tip.

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Dec 8, 2022 at 8:03 PM Post #105,275 of 152,545

I've tried a bunch of 12AU7s in different gear (though not near all of the NOS ones). My favorites are the Radiotechnique 6189 (from '56 & '65), the various (NOS) Mullards (short plate CV4003 are better for drivers, regular and long plates better for DACs and pre-amp sections), Amperex, and RCA and Raytheon black plates (good everywhere). The RCA and Raytheon are still available at non crazy prices, the others not so much. Didn't care much for Sylvania, Tung Sol, Tungsram, GE, and Brimar (this last was the best of these though a bit wooly for my taste) but I didn't try many variations of type or year. YMMV.
You can Google the Lansdale tube company, they sold tubes under the Philco name among others. The Lansdales I have are JAN from the early 50’s, you can find them NOS on EBay. I love their sound in a PrimaLuna tube amp but as always YMMV. Accurate and not harsh, well balanced overall.

Dec 8, 2022 at 8:06 PM Post #105,276 of 152,545
Yep, that's why I recommended Snake Oil Cables. They have done these actual cables, and also speaker output cables. And I can verify they work. It's not just a gender change. One channel will be inverted with a gender-change-only cable.

Mike Moffat was famous for grilling up, like, an 8 lb tri-tip (not even sure about what mutant cow that came off of) and sharing it with myself and one other guest. When asked about sides, he'd respond, "Why?" And the three of us would finish the tri-tip.
Hard to find Tri Tip on the East Coast. Back in the Cali Days, OMG it was GREAT!

Leo

Dec 8, 2022 at 8:12 PM Post #105,277 of 152,545
Absolutely right.

Nah. Not after a good low-profile keyboard. Feels like a return to the stone age.
You forget that some of us are from the stone age. 🤣

Dec 8, 2022 at 8:20 PM Post #105,278 of 152,545
Well, your first mistake was calling Domino's, when they have gotten so expensive that a mom and pop joint will make a better pizza for less now.

Don't look at me, though. I still order Domino's. :weary:
For delivery around my parts, we have Dominos, Marcos, and Papa Johns. Of the three, Dominos tastes the best, but their service consistently sucks. Marcos is OK at best, but their service is normally pretty good. Papa Johns has variable service, but the pizza is kind of like eating cardboard. Something *I* should like, I know.

Note that I said "of the three." I don't consider any of them to be good, just better than starving when you don't have time to cook or go out. 🤣

Dec 8, 2022 at 8:36 PM Post #105,280 of 152,545
In the interest of full disclosure, I saw "Carolina BBQ done right" (as if that were possible) and opportunistically pounced purely for comedic reasons. 😆 🤣
Carolina BBQ will never, ever, not even in a parallel universe be done anything close to right by McDonalds. Not that I have an opinion or anything. 🤣

Dec 8, 2022 at 8:39 PM Post #105,281 of 152,545
Thanks go out to @sam6550a for Satsuma mandarins. It pays to have friends, now I just need to think of a suitable thank you gift.🤪
I'm thinking an Incubus v3 would be appropriate. 🤣 🤣

Dec 8, 2022 at 8:42 PM Post #105,282 of 152,545
Dec 8, 2022 at 8:51 PM Post #105,283 of 152,545
Not a bad idea, I already have some excellent silver (blanco) tequila and the sweetness might be a substitute for simple syrup.
Just squeeze some fruit, add good tequila and equal parts Cointreau or equivalent and some ice. If needed try adding a little agave nectar instead of simple syrup to sweeten the pot. Just don't get me started on margies, I am better at them than Schiit gear although I have mostly sworn off them in favor of a good Cab now days since I can drink a hell of a lot more wine than margies and get less calories and less alcohol per volume.

Dec 8, 2022 at 8:53 PM Post #105,284 of 152,545

Huzzah!

Dec 8, 2022 at 8:58 PM Post #105,285 of 152,545

I've tried a bunch of 12AU7s in different gear (though not near all of the NOS ones). My favorites are the Radiotechnique 6189 (from '56 & '65), the various (NOS) Mullards (short plate CV4003 are better for drivers, regular and long plates better for DACs and pre-amp sections), Amperex, and RCA and Raytheon black plates (good everywhere). The RCA and Raytheon are still available at non crazy prices, the others not so much. Didn't care much for Sylvania, Tung Sol, Tungsram, GE, and Brimar (this last was the best of these though a bit wooly for my taste) but I didn't try many variations of type or year. YMMV.
AFAIK, Lansdale never manufactured receiving tubes, they just tested and graded them. The Landale labeled 7N7 is one of my favorite 6SN7 variants, but was manufactured by Sylvania. I've never had or heard the 12AU7...be interesting to find out who manufactured it.

7N7 Lansdale 1.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back