Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Dec 2, 2022 at 6:45 PM Post #104,656 of 151,483
Mom recently passed to an incredibly terrible unknown wasting away combined with complications from covid. Dad needed a trip to get away from their house a few months after she died. He took a week to drive from Indiana, and I flew in for 24 hours from Detroit.

We toured the boat, I found us the best steak / seafood place I could for the afternoon, and we had some bourbon at the hotel - I even snuck in a few fancy schmancy ones
1670019034174.png

We reminisced about Mom and all of the good memories. Cried lots and got a lot off both of our chests. We both departed in the morning, wished we had more time.
Sorry to hear about your mom.
You are a good son.

Dec 2, 2022 at 6:46 PM Post #104,657 of 151,483
Yes. You can search this thread for "observatory" and my username. I think I've posted a couple of photos here. You can also look on CloudyNights, same username.

In east TX, scouts do overnighters on USS Lexington and tour USS Texas. Unfortunately, USS Texas is having a tough time. The hull is rusting through. I'd heard a couple of years ago there were some funds to rescue her, but I've lost track of that project. I've also been on USS Alabama (in Mobile). Toured her after a rugby match. I think I've also toured USS Coral Sea (used to be in San Francisco), USS Constitution, and maybe a submarine or two as well. As has been said, they were a whole other breed.

I know a former president mocked some requested military spending as "yesterday's weapons for today's battles", or something similar. But, I wonder just how obsolete USS North Carolina, or USS Missouri would look if those guns were pointed your way?
USS Texas(BB-35) is presently in drydock in Galveston.

Dec 2, 2022 at 6:46 PM Post #104,658 of 151,483
That is not the bar of someone with teenagers. 😀
nope lol. He is capable of making most any drink unless the ingredients are no longer available. Just a hobby for him, his vocation is computer science and he leads two teams of programmers.

Dec 2, 2022 at 6:50 PM Post #104,659 of 151,483
The spec sheets on the Yggy are not loading for some reason @Jason Stoddard at Schiit Audio web page.

Microsoft and Alphabet browsers

other products spec sheet load fine.
No issue here Win 11, Firefox Try this link.
https://www.schiit.com/products/yggdrasil

or,
All Yggdrasil+

Inputs: Unison USB, AES/EBU XLR, RCA SPDIF, BNC SPDIF, Optical SPDIF
Input Capability: up to 24/192 for all inputs
Input Receiver, SPDIF: AKM AK4113
Input Receiver, USB: Unison USB™, based on Microchip PIC32 microprocessor

Clock Management: Bitperfect clock management at all native sample rates via Adapticlock analysis and VCXO/VCO regeneration
Digital Filter: proprietary Schiit time- and frequency-domain optimized digital filter implemented on Analog Devices SHARC DSP processor
Output: One pair XLR balanced and two pairs RCA single-ended
Output Impedance: 75 ohms

Power Supply: two transformers (one for digital supplies, one for analog supplies) plus one input choke for discrete, dual mono, shunt-regulated analog +/-24V supply, plus 12 or more separate local regulated supplies for DACs and digital sections, including high-precision, low-noise LM723 regulation in critical areas.

Upgradability: Fully modular architecture. Separate digital input board, USB input board, DSP engine board, and DAC/analog output boards.

Power Consumption: 45W

Size: 16 x 12” x 3.875”

Weight: 25 lbs

Yggy+ LIM (Less is More)

Frequency Response, Analog Stage: 20Hz-20Khz, +/-0.1dB, 0.5Hz-200KHz, -1dB
Maximum Output: 4.0V RMS (balanced), 2.0V RMS (single-ended)
THD: Less than 0.002%, 20Hz-20KHz, at full output
IMD: <0.002%, CCIF, at full output
SNR: > 110dB, referenced to 4V RMS
D/A Conversion IC: Texas Instruments DAC8812 x 4 (2 per channel, dual hardware balanced configuration)
Analog Stage: Integrated, using LME49724 differential stage

Yggy+ MIL (More is Less)

THD: Less than 0.0002%, 20Hz-20KHz, at full output
IMD: <0.0005%, CCIF, at full output
SNR: > 123dB, referenced to 4V RMS
D/A Conversion IC: Texas Instruments DAC11001 (2 per channel, hardware balanced configuration)
Analog Stage: Integrated, using LME49724 differential stage

Yggy+ OG

THD: Less than 0.005%, 20Hz-20KHz, at full output
IMD: <0.005%, CCIF, at full output
SNR: > 124dB, referenced to 4V RMS
D/A Conversion IC: Analog Devices AD5791BRUZ x 4 (2 per channel, hardware balanced configuration)
Analog Stage: Fully discrete, DC coupled Class A FET buffers optimized for high current output and fully discrete, Class A FET summing stages for single-ended output

APx555 Report for Yggdrasil Less is More
APx555 Report for Yggdrasil More is Less
APx555 Report for Yggdrasil OG

Or, are you referring to the APx555's? They won't load for me either.

Last edited:
Dec 2, 2022 at 7:00 PM Post #104,661 of 151,483
Well…. Schiit. I don’t think I would have done it without the holiday deal. Thanks for the break, @Jason Stoddard !

19FBAC04-080F-496F-B316-AF5B2A7416C6.jpeg

(Ab)using Rag2 as preamp for now. Low gain (1x?), 10am volume is already loud enough. Holy brand name.

Dec 2, 2022 at 7:03 PM Post #104,662 of 151,483
URLs are borked - they point to file://public/upload/PDF/APx%20Report--Yggdrasil%20Less%20Is%20More%20(DAC8812).pdf, probably needs to be relative link only. @Jason Stoddard

Folks wanting to read this right now, try:

https://schiit.com/public/upload/PDF/APx Report--Yggdrasil Less Is More (DAC8812).pdf
https://schiit.com/public/upload/PDF/APx Report--Yggdrasil More is Less (DAC11001).pdf
https://schiit.com/public/upload/PD...dard Test Suite_ Yggdrasil Analog 2_Gen 5.pdf

Last edited:
Dec 2, 2022 at 7:32 PM Post #104,663 of 151,483
Who dat?

Cool car.
Never occured to me that, in an online community of music lovers, Janis would go unrecognized. Then again, it has been 52 years since her death. And she, and her music, were very much of that time. Not like she did a Christmas album that gets dragged out every year. That photo is from 1968. For billions of people, 1968AD might as well be 1968BC. For them, both years are equally mythical, equally inconceivable and equally irrelevant to their everyday lives. Matter of perspective, I guess.

Dec 2, 2022 at 7:48 PM Post #104,664 of 151,483
Oh, I recognized Janis but you had already pointed that out.
The day I landed in Vietnam (in 1968) I listened to " Cheap Thrills" her first album with Big Brother & the Holding Company on the radio. "Two of a Kind" and "Ball & Chain" all-time favorites of mine.

Dec 2, 2022 at 7:50 PM Post #104,665 of 151,483
That photo is from 1968. For billions of people, 1968AD might as well be 1968BC. For them, both years are equally mythical, equally inconceivable and equally irrelevant to their everyday lives.
It’s getting “deep” here in the Schiit thread!

Very quotable last sentence there….how quickly generations lose common threads of association.
Makes me think of my father, born in 1927. Whose childhood was mostly without cars, no tv, etc…. Just a generation from me and things are soooo different. “Times they are a changing…” 🎶🎶😆

Last edited:
Dec 2, 2022 at 7:56 PM Post #104,666 of 151,483
It’s getting “deep” here in the Schiit thread!

Very quotable last sentence there….how quickly generations lose common threads of association.
Makes me think of my father, born in 1927. Whose childhood was mostly without cars, no tv, etc…. Just a generation from me and things are soooo different. “Times they are a changing…” 🎶🎶😆
Yeah, nobody recognizes the Spice Girls anymore.

Kids these days, they don’t know how lucky they are purchasing Bowie and Floyd and Zeppelin vinyl.

Last edited:
Dec 2, 2022 at 8:01 PM Post #104,667 of 151,483
URLs are borked - they point to file://public/upload/PDF/APx%20Report--Yggdrasil%20Less%20Is%20More%20(DAC8812).pdf, probably needs to be relative link only. @Jason Stoddard

Folks wanting to read this right now, try:

https://schiit.com/public/upload/PDF/APx Report--Yggdrasil Less Is More (DAC8812).pdf
https://schiit.com/public/upload/PDF/APx Report--Yggdrasil More is Less (DAC11001).pdf
https://schiit.com/public/upload/PDF/Schiit DAC APx555 Standard Test Suite_ Yggdrasil Analog 2_Gen 5.pdf
Actually, I've never looked at one of those reports on any of their equipment, my ears (back then) told me all I was curious to know. And with 15 day return policy I was never concerned. But, that being said, of all the Schiit I've owned, the Yggdrasil was the ultimate jaw dropper for me.

Dec 2, 2022 at 8:02 PM Post #104,668 of 151,483

Kids these days, they don’t know how lucky they are purchasing Bowie and Floyd and Zeppelin vinyl.
:laughing:

Dec 2, 2022 at 8:04 PM Post #104,669 of 151,483
Oh, I recognized Janis but you had already pointed that out.
The day I landed in Vietnam (in 1968) I listened to " Cheap Thrills" her first album with Big Brother & the Holding Company on the radio. "Two of a Kind" and "Ball & Chain" all-time favorites of mine.
A favorite album of mine as well.🤪🤪
About 1970 I was bound for Officers Candidate School and the marine corps but the lottery system came out and I chose not to go. I was able to finish college then make a choice.

Last edited:
Dec 2, 2022 at 8:56 PM Post #104,670 of 151,483

… “in my day, I had to walk barefoot in the snow to get tickets for tickets to their concerts…” 😤🤣🤣

Users who are viewing this thread

Back