Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Dec 2, 2022 at 12:25 PM Post #104,626 of 152,153
I see, any excuse to throw one back...! 😆
Moderation in all things. :ksc75smile:
Limiting visits to see my son helps.🤪 3F8CC319-31CD-49FB-AD8D-F070A7341483.jpeg

Last edited:
Dec 2, 2022 at 12:37 PM Post #104,627 of 152,153
Somewhat related, I just toured the Midway with my father who served on it from 60-63. There is no scale a normal person has until they step foot on one of these warships.

Midway is superb. I trust you also visited HMS Surprise if you are into naval history (though she may be closed due to recent damage).

We were in the Marriott in Oakland for TG and had a magnificent view of the Hornet in Alameda, another carrier well worth a visit.

Dec 2, 2022 at 12:42 PM Post #104,628 of 152,153
Dec 2, 2022 at 1:58 PM Post #104,630 of 152,153
My old Bifrost 1 still has uber analog, I'd love to try and find a multibit board for it if anyone has a dead unit with one in it that may still work.

Dec 2, 2022 at 2:19 PM Post #104,631 of 152,153
On an opposite scale, I toured the USS Torsk, at the Baltimore Harbor. A conventional diesel sub, from WWII. Tiny and claustrophobic does not describe it. Amazing, that it had a crew compliment of 80 men, and they could all fit into it, somehow...! I salute you...! 👏

2D74C36E-1DD8-B71B-0B42FF87F781EB2C.jpg
178715-Uss-Torsk.jpg
The USS Batfish, another WW2 diesel sub, is in (of all places) Muskogee OK. It's claustrophobic with only a dozen tourists on board. Hard to imagine being underwater with a full crew complement and the stench of cigarette smoke being preferable to the overwhelming body odor. :relaxed: I salute them too...took some special people to serve in those roles.

Dec 2, 2022 at 2:45 PM Post #104,632 of 152,153
Perhaps ironically, I brought a prototype amp home tonight that decided to misbehave.

Everything looked fine on the "preliminary checks" I outlined a few posts back (Flir fine, gains as expected, low gain not turning into full scale noise (that is, not oscillating wildly). No "fat sines" either (lower level oscillation). I didn't put it on the APx, mainly because I'm lazy. Also because it worked, and I decided to take the win and go home.

Except...as I'm listening, I decide to drop it into low gain. And the sound goes off. As in, nothing. Totally muted.

Hmm, that's weird, I thought, and switched it back to high gain. Still nothing. Then, a few seconds later, it clicked back on.

I tried it again, and it did the same thing.

Then I tried a different set of headphones. Both high and low gain work fine. Huh?

I still need to confirm exactly what's happening tomorrow, but I suspect it's going into oscillation, but only on some combinations of load impedance (headphone driver, plus parasitic C and L from the cable might just be hitting the wrong spot with one headphone, but not on another.)

So why was it muting? Because this one had the protection systems in place, so instead of lighting up the driver, it went into protection and lifted the relay. Good deal.

We'll see what it's really doing tomorrow. Probably needs a bit more compensation work.
Possibly a CR factor, leading to the oscillation stabilising. As you say, the reactance of the headphone could be a factor here. Likely to be feedback dependent (given the difference with gain).

BTW, the Piety circuit - is it summing the output from differently biased parallel stages - to get a simulated triode voltage transfer characteristic?

Andrew

Dec 2, 2022 at 2:50 PM Post #104,633 of 152,153
I have and that is an exceptional price for an amazing scotch! For special occasions it is always the 21 year old Portwood for me but that 16 year old is right up there. 17 year old double wood is quite good as well.

My son will be here at Xmas so I am sure we will grab a good bottle of scotch. He makes a margarita that is to die for but in colder weather I prefer whiskies and port wine.
Are you a fan of Blanton's straight from the barrel bourbon? I may grab one of those as a present for him. I did not see it that last time I visited his place.

I am indeed quite a fan of Blantons. Have not tried straight from the barrel, that is unobtanium around here. Regular Blantons is hard enough to find. I've seen 5 bottles for sale in my whiskey buying life and bought 4 of them. Still regret not buying the 5th. I finished a bottle of Blanton's a month ago. It was first opened in Feb of 2021 to celebrate my first covid vaccine shot with my wife and parents. The last few ounces went into an eternity bottle/decanter. I've yet to open a new bottle.

Last edited:
Dec 2, 2022 at 2:51 PM Post #104,635 of 152,153
On an opposite scale, I toured the USS Torsk, at the Baltimore Harbor. A conventional diesel sub, from WWII. Tiny and claustrophobic does not describe it. Amazing, that it had a crew compliment of 80 men, and they could all fit into it, somehow...! I salute you...! 👏

2D74C36E-1DD8-B71B-0B42FF87F781EB2C.jpg
178715-Uss-Torsk.jpg
In the mid 90's I was in San Francisco and toured the WWII sub that was anchored there. Sorry, I can't even recall its name. Other than the fact that my girth at the time had trouble navigating the close quarters, nevermind a fully crewed sub or now, the thing I distinctly still remember was the overwhelming smell of diesel still present. Just imagine how your olfactory senses would have to contend with the barrage from a fully operational vessel back in the day!

Dec 2, 2022 at 2:55 PM Post #104,636 of 152,153
Possibly a CR factor, leading to the oscillation stabilising. As you say, the reactance of the headphone could be a factor here. Likely to be feedback dependent (given the difference with gain).

BTW, the Piety circuit - is it summing the output from differently biased parallel stages - to get a simulated triode voltage transfer characteristic?

Andrew

Yeah, it needed some more compensation work. May end up with a zobel. Pretty typical for higher-performance stuff (Jotunheim 2 has one, for example). Still playing with it.

Piety isn't summing anything. It's an extension of Continuity(tm). One of the cool things about Continuity is that it can compensate for transconductance droop--or it can over-compensate. And it can be shaped. So it can give a square-law-like output characteristic. Gives us plenty of ways to play with gear.

Last edited:
Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Dec 2, 2022 at 3:08 PM Post #104,637 of 152,153
In the mid 90's I was in San Francisco and toured the WWII sub that was anchored there. Sorry, I can't even recall its name. Other than the fact that my girth at the time had trouble navigating the close quarters, nevermind a fully crewed sub or now, the thing I distinctly still remember was the overwhelming smell of diesel still present. Just imagine how your olfactory senses would have to contend with the barrage from a fully operational vessel back in the day!
Is anchored there, not was. :)
USS Pampanito (SS-383)

Dec 2, 2022 at 3:26 PM Post #104,638 of 152,153
The USS Batfish, another WW2 diesel sub, is in (of all places) Muskogee OK. It's claustrophobic with only a dozen tourists on board. Hard to imagine being underwater with a full crew complement and the stench of cigarette smoke being preferable to the overwhelming body odor. :relaxed: I salute them too...took some special people to serve in those roles.

One of my tour guides, was a former sailor from the USS Torsk. He'd served on it in WWII. He described how horrific it could get, with body odor, diesel fumes, machine oil smoke, and cigarette smoke! Plus, no oxygen scrubbers back then either. So, if you couldn't surface at night, to replenish the oxygen, you had to breath nothing but stale, stinky air. He told me, they'd been submerged for days, while trying to avoid a German ship hunting them. No fresh air the whole time. The guide said he still had lung issues from then. No hard feelings on his part, he simply said, "the Navy took care of him". A different breed. Wow. 🙂

Oh yea, they had to "hot-bunk". Eighty guys didn't have 80 separate racks. You had to share. Your shift started, you got out of bed. The guy coming off shift rolled into it. So, 3 different guys shared the same bunk. 🤯

Last edited:
Dec 2, 2022 at 3:45 PM Post #104,639 of 152,153
Pampanito is still there as is the Liberty ship Jeremiah O'Brian.

Dec 2, 2022 at 3:47 PM Post #104,640 of 152,153
A second comment: then I was serving on anti-sub warships (most of my time at sea) we used to rib submariners that they way we found them was we could smell them coming........

Users who are viewing this thread

Back