Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Mar 29, 2022 at 4:49 PM Post #90,182 of 151,902
I'll never know either. But now that you mention it, maybe I could persuade @Paladin79 to make me one for like, maybe, what, half that? I was kinda expecting monks or virgins had to be involved (which would obviously be a show-stopper in both respects), but no such barriers seem to exist. :laughing:

1648516462385.png
I guess you read the same Jonathan Valin reviews I did, way back when.

Yah sure bc just what I want is a mechanical hysteresis loop between my delicate MC phono cart and my "record clamp". Dude, What? :sunglasses:
My guess is it wouldn't matter. Reading the copy pasted into @bcowen's post makes me think many cable companies are jealous of the amount of snake oil Shun Mook was able to pack into one paragraph.

At least, I don't believe a word of it anyway.

Total non-sequitur—how do you pronounce "Bifrost"? BEE-frost or BAHY-frost?
Others have responded, but I remember several posts a few months ago discussing this. I think beef-rohst was put forward as the correct pronunciation. I generally think by-frost, myself.

Mar 29, 2022 at 4:53 PM Post #90,183 of 151,902
Man, the "R" really bothers me…

This isn't your fault, though. On some Schiit (Gungnir and Yggdrasil) that's actually the "R" they use, but on others (Asgard, Lyr, Vidar, Aegir, Tyr, Bifrost, Freya S, and Freya +) they use a different, much more coherent looking "R".

Special case: Ragnarok, for which both variants are in use; the nicer looking "R" for the first R, the less nice looking one for the second R. Makes me think that the font Jason uses has two different "R"s; one for capitalized (the nicer looking one) and one for lower case (the uglier) — and when Jason made the print layouts, he sometimes printed the name in all-caps and sometimes didn't.

I also think your "O" is too narrow, the "E" is too wide, the "B"'s horizontal center line needs to be extended by an additional pixel to the right, and the overall spacing is way too narrow.

Yes. I'm a stickler for detail… 😇

Ugh, now I want to make a proper Schiit font… I certainly can't seem to find one that's even close to what Schiit uses.

Last edited:
Mar 29, 2022 at 4:59 PM Post #90,184 of 151,902

This isn't your fault, though. On some Schiit (Gungnir and Yggdrasil) that's actually the "R" they use, but on others (Asgard, Lyr, Vidar, Aegir, Bifrost, Freya S, Freya +) they use a different, much more coherent looking "R".

Special case: Ragnarok, for which both variants are in use; the nicer looking "R" for the first R, the less nice looking one for the second R. Makes me think that the font Jason uses has two different "R"s; one for capitalized (the nicer looking one) and one for lower case (the uglier) — and when Jason made the print layouts, he sometimes printed the name in all-caps and sometimes didn't.

I also think your "O" is too narrow, the "E" is too wide, the "B"'s horizontal center line needs to be extended by an additional pixel to the right, and the overall spacing is way too narrow.

Ugh, now I want to make a proper Schiit font… I certainly can't seem to find one that's even close to what Schiit uses.
First rule of font club: Don't talk about font club.

Mar 29, 2022 at 5:08 PM Post #90,185 of 151,902

This isn't your fault, though. On some Schiit (Gungnir and Yggdrasil) that's actually the "R" they use, but on others (Asgard, Lyr, Vidar, Aegir, Tyr, Bifrost, Freya S, and Freya +) they use a different, much more coherent looking "R".

No worries! I was bored that week, recovering after knee surgery; spent an hour using an online font generator - didn't pay much attention to spacing/kerning.... When I have a few moments, I'll revisit. If anyone would like a digitally signed TTF (upper and lower case) just message me privately. In the meantime I've got a climb of Kilimanjaro to get back in shape for next August

Mar 29, 2022 at 5:19 PM Post #90,186 of 151,902

You're OK with the kerning???:wink:

Mar 29, 2022 at 5:28 PM Post #90,188 of 151,902
Think we can drive Tyr into back order on day 1? I’m up for the challenge.

Mar 29, 2022 at 5:45 PM Post #90,189 of 151,902

You forgot the R on the top of the Jot R chassis.

Mar 29, 2022 at 5:56 PM Post #90,190 of 151,902
I received my ZU DWs today! Took about 10 minutes to get them out of their boxes, carried into the house and setup. Thank god they aren't very heavy and I could just pick them up and carry them. The slot on the bottom makes a good handhold too.

So far they sound great. I even turned my subwoofer off. I don't think they need one. The only sort of weirdness is that the bass sounds like it is coming from just above ground floor (to do with the slots on the bottom I assume) but the soundstage and detail are really nice. They have a lot more depth of sound than my bookshelves which I am really happy to hear. Can't wait for the wife to leave the house for a few so I can let it rip.

And since she answered the door for the delivery it was pretty hard for her not to notice that I just got new speakers... :beyersmile:

Mar 29, 2022 at 6:18 PM Post #90,191 of 151,902

If you have serious trouble with your Rs there is medications that can help. I hesitate to ask, but exactly what is the problem? :xf_cool:

Mar 29, 2022 at 6:27 PM Post #90,192 of 151,902
If you have serious trouble with your Rs there is medications that can help. I hesitate to ask, but exactly what is the problem? :xf_cool:
You either get it, or you don't.
If you get it, you're a fonts guy.
If you don't, you live a happier life. ;p

Mar 29, 2022 at 7:31 PM Post #90,194 of 151,902
I am sorry to hear you are undergoing chemo. I will look through my shop and give you a completed one if you like.
The kindness you have shown should be rewarded.
Tom
Tom, you are an awesome dude - I'm sure the universe has/will return the positive energy you send.

Reading posts like this helps me remember the world can still be a decent place where many people choose kindness.

Thanks!

Mike

Mar 29, 2022 at 7:43 PM Post #90,195 of 151,902
Tom, you are an awesome dude - I'm sure the universe has/will return the positive energy you send.

Reading posts like this helps me remember the world can still be a decent place where many people choose kindness.

Thanks!

Mike
You are very kind but I am just someone who has some extra electronics that is gathering dust. It might as well do some good. 😉

Users who are viewing this thread

Back