Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Mar 29, 2022 at 8:40 PM Post #90,197 of 149,670
I wonder if we will ever see a SYSius? A nice passive balanced preamp.
assuming you want multiple balanced XLR inputs, then it needs to be in large-size (e.g. Freya / Mjolnir) chassis, so $300 and up.

alternatives:
Freya S or Freya + in passive mode (these have remote volume adjust, but obviously higher cost due to unused features)
or use 2x sys (one for right channel, one for left channel) & some RCA - XLR phase splitter cables (much cheaper, but less user friendly, adds ability to adjust left/right channel balance)

Mar 29, 2022 at 8:48 PM Post #90,198 of 149,670
assuming you want multiple balanced XLR inputs, then it needs to be in large-size (e.g. Freya / Mjolnir) chassis, so $300 and up.

alternatives:
Freya S or Freya + in passive mode (these have remote volume adjust, but obviously higher cost due to unused features)
or use 2x sys (one for right channel, one for left channel) & some RCA - XLR phase splitter cables (much cheaper, but less user friendly, adds ability to adjust left/right channel balance)
Maybe more than $300 the way prices are going.

Bottom line, we aren't going to be doing a large-form-factor passive. We simply can't create every product variation on the planet. Sorry, that's the reality. I'm skeptical that even a 2-input SYSius has any merit. It would have to be over $100 if you want a good potentiometer.

Freya S is the closest answer we have for balanced, I'm afraid.

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Mar 29, 2022 at 8:53 PM Post #90,199 of 149,670

Man, the "R" really bothers me…

This isn't your fault, though. On some Schiit (Gungnir and Yggdrasil) that's actually the "R" they use, but on others (Asgard, Lyr, Vidar, Aegir, Tyr, Bifrost, Freya S, and Freya +) they use a different, much more coherent looking "R".

Special case: Ragnarok, for which both variants are in use; the nicer looking "R" for the first R, the less nice looking one for the second R. Makes me think that the font Jason uses has two different "R"s; one for capitalized (the nicer looking one) and one for lower case (the uglier) — and when Jason made the print layouts, he sometimes printed the name in all-caps and sometimes didn't.

I also think your "O" is too narrow, the "E" is too wide, the "B"'s horizontal center line needs to be extended by an additional pixel to the right, and the overall spacing is way too narrow.

Yes. I'm a stickler for detail… 😇

Ugh, now I want to make a proper Schiit font… I certainly can't seem to find one that's even close to what Schiit uses.

Although I appreciate the effort, there's no Schiit font. It's hand-drawn to a very different grid. Hand-drawn means it's inconsistent.

Like this:

1648601623068.png

Disclaimer: I am a font nerd who frequently yells "kerning!" during movie titles.

Last edited:
Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Mar 29, 2022 at 9:43 PM Post #90,200 of 149,670
Potentially dumb question:
The terms "Closeout" and "B-Stock" are clearly defined, but what's considered "C-Stock"?
Like, B-Stock, but for sure with certain blemishes instead of the "They may not even have any blemishes, if they’re clean returns." as it's declared for B-Stock?
C-stock is stuff that @Ripper2860 has returned, noted by the slight darkening of the aluminum after soaking in disinfectant for 48 hours.

:laughing:

Mar 29, 2022 at 9:44 PM Post #90,201 of 149,670
Although I appreciate the effort, there's no Schiit font. It's hand-drawn to a very different grid. Hand-drawn means it's inconsistent.

Like this:

1648601623068.png

Disclaimer: I am a font nerd who frequently yells "kerning!" during movie titles.
Screen Shot 2022-03-29 at 6.40.01 PM.png

OK, let's see…
- The lettering is hand-drawn
- Two different Rs even within a single product's name
- You're a font nerd, so this is likely not an accident

…that leaves me with just one logical conclusion: You're a sadist. 🤣

Mar 29, 2022 at 9:50 PM Post #90,202 of 149,670
Thanks for bringing that to light. Now I'll never be able to enjoy my Ragnarok w/o obsessing over the different Rs. :unamused:

Mar 29, 2022 at 11:17 PM Post #90,205 of 149,670
I’m very much looking forward to the first Schiit product which unfolds MQA, comes in a silver spray painted chassis, proudly “sounds like ass,” and the title is in glorious comic sans. It shall be named Schiit “Hemorrhoid.”
Superbly written, sir. I salute you! :beerchug:

Mar 29, 2022 at 11:17 PM Post #90,206 of 149,670
Thanks for bringing that to light. Now I'll never be able to enjoy my Ragnarok w/o obsessing over the different Rs. :unamused:
There are many things in the world you can't unsee, maybe this is one of those things you can.

I’m very much looking forward to the first Schiit product which unfolds MQA, comes in a silver spray painted chassis, proudly “sounds like ass,” and the title is in glorious comic sans. It shall be named Schiit “Hemorrhoid.”
And with two Rs back-to-back. Imagine what a font sadist could do with that.

Mar 30, 2022 at 12:56 AM Post #90,209 of 149,670
The spirit is willing, but the bank account is weak. :triportsad:

I prefer to think of my schiit piggy bank like a tree. Soon some new seeds will be planted. They will be watered, a little at a time. As they grow and the trees around them get harvested they will get more water until they too, are ready for harvest.

Last edited:
Mar 30, 2022 at 2:12 AM Post #90,210 of 149,670
Screen Shot 2022-03-29 at 6.40.01 PM.png
OK, let's see…
- The lettering is hand-drawn
- Two different Rs even within a single product's name
- You're a font nerd, so this is likely not an accident

…that leaves me with just one logical conclusion: You're a sadist. 🤣
They should be different: R and r :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back