Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Mar 29, 2022 at 8:17 AM Post #90,166 of 151,800
Tyr_and_Fenrir-John_Bauer.jpg
[source]

Schiit's gotta be careful. Should they ever release a product named Fenrir, they better make sure to tell their customers to keep it as far away from Tyr as possible, lest that Fenrir will constantly bite Tyr's arm off! 😳

I wonder if that'd be covered under their warranty, though… 🤔

Last edited:
Mar 29, 2022 at 9:16 AM Post #90,169 of 151,800
Congratulations on your retirement!! Ohhh, what to do next? I suspect you’ll keep yourself busy. Question is: just as busy?
I have one less source of income is all. While some are passive sources, I will spend more time working more closely with others.😁

I will be less busy driving 100 miles round trip each day.

Last edited:
Mar 29, 2022 at 9:23 AM Post #90,170 of 151,800
You realize that saying "AltaVista" and "Compaq" in the same sentence is blasphemy?

My closest friend was a DEC guy and worked in the Hamilton Ave, Palo Alto (after which the Hamilton Group, forefather of the Open Software Foundation was named) which was the home of AltaVista. Interesting to look at how DEC had all the components of the modern web at its disposal and failed miserably to take advantage of them.

It was a sad day when Compaq acquired DEC.
I know the history.😁 I did my research prior to making a short term investment in Compaq. Compaq was then bought by HP.

Last edited:
Mar 29, 2022 at 9:35 AM Post #90,171 of 151,800
A sad day for DEC and Compaq. :p

Mar 29, 2022 at 10:35 AM Post #90,172 of 151,800
I am not sure why you might even consider Coasters as any type of rabbit hole.😁 They are not expensive to build and there are various ways to mount them in cases. I figured out at least ten lol.

D3BD5008-0B20-4BA2-AD63-EA95CA9B2127.jpeg
I learned how to solder from assembling Heathkit kits in the 70s. I bought the coaster because I wanted to try a tube amp, but I got the quartet of cards and realized that the peripheral neuropathy from my chemo was going to make assembling one impossible.

I can't bring myself to use them as actual toasters.

I might not be able to build one, but that doesn't stop me from admiring your builds.

Griff

Mar 29, 2022 at 10:56 AM Post #90,173 of 151,800
I learned how to solder from assembling Heathkit kits in the 70s. I bought the coaster because I wanted to try a tube amp, but I got the quartet of cards and realized that the peripheral neuropathy from my chemo was going to make assembling one impossible.

I can't bring myself to use them as actual toasters.

I might not be able to build one, but that doesn't stop me from admiring your builds.

Griff
I am sorry to hear you are undergoing chemo. I will look through my shop and give you a completed one if you like.
The kindness you have shown should be rewarded.
Tom

Last edited:
Mar 29, 2022 at 12:05 PM Post #90,175 of 151,800
Tyr_and_Fenrir-John_Bauer.jpg
[source]

Schiit's gotta be careful. Should they ever release a product named Fenrir, they better make sure to tell their customers to keep it as far away from Tyr as possible, lest that Fenrir will constantly bite Tyr's arm off! 😳

I wonder if that'd be covered under their warranty, though… 🤔
That's art!

Mar 29, 2022 at 1:11 PM Post #90,177 of 151,800
Potentially dumb question:
The terms "Closeout" and "B-Stock" are clearly defined, but what's considered "C-Stock"?
Like, B-Stock, but for sure with certain blemishes instead of the "They may not even have any blemishes, if they’re clean returns." as it's declared for B-Stock?
2020 June 25 - Jason Stoddard
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/sch...bable-start-up.701900/page-4082#post-15699537

(bold added)
Hey all,

Sorry to be scarce, but things are pretty busy around here.

To solve the mystery of the new action on the B-stock side, blame it on me. I got tired of looking at the old products, and said, "Hey, let's get these listed." Everyone is super busy, so it's not their fault...but Rina took that direction and ran with it...and found additional B-stock stuff...and found more things hidden in the warehouse...and is still finding things. So we're updating as we find things. Expect this to go on for a while longer. I think we're about halfway through the piles.

And to solve the mystery of C-stock: this is less than B-stock. Meaning, it probably has visible cosmetic flaws, but works fine. We'll update the B-stock page to reflect this shortly.

Beyond that, it's pretty busy, so I need to get back to product development.

All the best,
Jason

Mar 29, 2022 at 3:27 PM Post #90,179 of 151,800
Total non-sequitur—how do you pronounce "Bifrost"? BEE-frost or BAHY-frost?
The Norse mythology pronunciation would be something like beev-ROSST, there is a sound sample here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bifröst

I don’t think it’s all that important though. I usually just say BEE-frost. Also, apparently, Yggdrasil is now to be pronounced “Eggs Brazil” or something, at least according to the auto texting on the latest Schiitstream on YouTube :relaxed:

Mar 29, 2022 at 4:12 PM Post #90,180 of 151,800
The Norse mythology pronunciation would be something like beev-ROSST, there is a sound sample here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bifröst

I don’t think it’s all that important though. I usually just say BEE-frost. Also, apparently, Yggdrasil is now to be pronounced “Eggs Brazil” or something, at least according to the auto texting on the latest Schiitstream on YouTube :relaxed:
bifrost.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back