Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Mar 28, 2022 at 11:41 PM Post #90,151 of 153,436
For my tastes and choice of headphones, I really like the Raytheon 6BQ7 in place of the stock 6n1p. There are NO substitutes for the 6n6p, however. It's a unique tube.
Thank you for the recommendation, mine came today. Even out of the box, there's tubes are excellent.

Mar 28, 2022 at 11:46 PM Post #90,152 of 153,436
I'll never know either. But now that you mention it, maybe I could persuade @Paladin79 to make me one for like, maybe, what, half that? I was kinda expecting monks or virgins had to be involved (which would obviously be a show-stopper in both respects), but no such barriers seem to exist. :laughing:

1648516462385.png
Now I know where writers for the Onion moonlight.

Mar 28, 2022 at 11:53 PM Post #90,153 of 153,436
If Tyr has a PIC32 micro on-board to adjust biasing, DC offset, perform fault monitoring, then perhaps there's also an IR, Control S, or DC Trigger port for remote standby switching.
I'd be delighted, but realistically 12V trigger isn't in any Schiit product and remote switching not in their current power amps.

Mar 29, 2022 at 12:42 AM Post #90,154 of 153,436
Mar 29, 2022 at 12:47 AM Post #90,155 of 153,436
Now that brings back memories! First on Z80 CPM machines, later on PCs.

Anyone remember "The Electric Pencil Word Processor"? Predated Wordstar.
No, but I live about 2.5 miles west of the (former) Wordstar Int'l HQ in Novato, CA. Drive by it every couple of days; Alameda del Prado and US 101... there's a Burger King nearby, in case anybody is seriously in need of unhealthy foods :)

Mar 29, 2022 at 12:51 AM Post #90,156 of 153,436
I'll never know either. But now that you mention it, maybe I could persuade @Paladin79 to make me one for like, maybe, what, half that? I was kinda expecting monks or virgins had to be involved (which would obviously be a show-stopper in both respects), but no such barriers seem to exist. :laughing:

1648516462385.png
Yah sure bc just what I want is a mechanical hysteresis loop between my delicate MC phono cart and my "record clamp". Dude, What? :sunglasses:

Mar 29, 2022 at 1:27 AM Post #90,157 of 153,436
Hey all,

A couple of quick updates:

1. I'll be making a "small" announcement this week--
Oh man, I read that as "...a small announcement TODAY......."

Mar 29, 2022 at 1:57 AM Post #90,158 of 153,436
Jotunheim 1...

...driven via USB and the True MultiBit card (from Tidal, on my iPad)... balanced-out to my Senn HD600s. WOW. I am totally amazed at the clarity and the dynamic range of this combination. Thanks @Jason Stoddard and @Baldr - you guys have nailed it.

So I guess it's time to order a Jotti 2 and pass this one on... but there are Tyrs a-coming, potentially. First things first.

Thanks to everyone at Schiit Audio. This is so much fun!

/ds

Mar 29, 2022 at 6:47 AM Post #90,163 of 153,436
Speaking of older technology, a good friend out of Southern Indiana ended up running the AltaVista search engine for Compaq. He would drive to my house and trade Cuban cigars for Mac equipment I had in abundance. A large corporation decided to go all IBM compatible so I ended up with a couple tractor trailer loads of Mac gear at little cost.😎

You realize that saying "AltaVista" and "Compaq" in the same sentence is blasphemy?

My closest friend was a DEC guy and worked in the Hamilton Ave, Palo Alto (after which the Hamilton Group, forefather of the Open Software Foundation was named) which was the home of AltaVista. Interesting to look at how DEC had all the components of the modern web at its disposal and failed miserably to take advantage of them.

It was a sad day when Compaq acquired DEC.

Mar 29, 2022 at 8:04 AM Post #90,164 of 153,436
Total non-sequitur—how do you pronounce "Bifrost"? BEE-frost or BAHY-frost?
Technically, it's pronounced bɪvrɒst. 🤪
But I think to remember that I've heard people at Schiit pronounce it BI-frost.

According to Wikipedia, Bifröst is a burning rainbow bridge between Midgard (Earth) and Asgard. So, apparently I need to buy an Asgard now and rename my Mac to Midgard…? 🤔

A burning rainbow bridge, how forking cool is that visual, though?!

Last edited:
Mar 29, 2022 at 8:06 AM Post #90,165 of 153,436
As of today I am officially retired. I should be able to get the Member of the Trade removed from my name. I can either contact the Mods to inform them or cause enough trouble that they find me.😎
Congratulations on your retirement!! Ohhh, what to do next? I suspect you’ll keep yourself busy. Question is: just as busy?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back