Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Nov 11, 2015 at 1:20 PM Post #8,641 of 151,795

Yeah, when I was first hired at Sumo, they made four different amplifiers. Not one amplifier shared one part with any other amp. Literally--the chassis were different down to the screws--and the screws were spec'd down to the point of using, say, 6-32 x 3/16, 6-32 x 1/4, 6-32 x 5/16, and 6-32 x 3/8" in a single amplifier with no clearance issues that would have prevented the 3/8" being used for all. They all used different output devices. They had no commonality in passive parts or topology (one used carbon comp resistors, LOLWUT?). 

The result was predictable--complete pandemonium in parts ordering (because nothing could be ganged together for lower cost), on the line (because every product was completely different from one another--experience didn't cross products), and in engineering (because everything was a unique and special snowflake, so you don't have time to apply learning from one to another.)

They asked me to present a plan to make production more efficient, about a month after I started. The summary of my presentation: I've already started making radical changes to the products to reduce active inventory and allow for commonality, and all new products will be based on similar topologies with the same output devices, even sharing chassis components. 

Their response was to howl. "How can you just start making changes? We had the greatest engineers here! What happens when you start messing with their work."

My response: "Well, they aren't here now. They left a mess. Do you want it fixed, or not?"

To their credit, turned out they did. But it wasn't without some consternation in the process. In the end, we had 5 amps, all using the same output devices, in three basic chassis designs--and none with 23 screw sizes...and about an 80% reduction in active inventory items.

Carbon Comp?  What are they salvaging old fender amps?

Nov 11, 2015 at 1:41 PM Post #8,642 of 151,795
Another great chapter Jason, always look forward to these! I've noticed the optimodi gone missing a couple weeks ago, was looking one for my brother, but it's all good haha. Also, great to see that I'm getting a lot of "bang for my buck" from my Asgard 2. Great amp, leaves me wanting nothing more.

Nov 11, 2015 at 4:45 PM Post #8,646 of 151,795
Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Nov 11, 2015 at 5:04 PM Post #8,647 of 151,795
Hoping for a portable player from schiit.

'Pocket your schiit' 
ksc75smile.gif

Nov 11, 2015 at 5:33 PM Post #8,649 of 151,795
  Now, let’s talk about products that die and stay dead. Do not resuscitate, DNR, finis, dirt nap time, however you want to call it. Because in the last few weeks, we’ve had a couple of DNRs at Schiit.

Oh, you didn’t notice?

For what it's worth, I did notice. Probably because I own and continue to use both the Loki and Modi optical.

That said I was not upset about either disappearance
1. My existing units are working just fine
2. Had no intention of buying a second of either.
3. Never doubted Schiit would continue to support units "in the field".

Nov 11, 2015 at 6:53 PM Post #8,650 of 151,795
  Hoping for a portable player from schiit.

'Pocket your schiit' 
ksc75smile.gif

Ha, I can just imagine the conversation: 

Jason: "Mike! We should do an Android-based DAP."
Mike: "[Long, loud string of un-printable expletives.]"

Nov 11, 2015 at 7:35 PM Post #8,652 of 151,795
As a PS, there is a website that has test tracks (from real recordings) that are all downsampled from 24-bit 352.8 PCM recordings (aka "DXD").  I compared equivalent bandwidth PCM and DSD downsampled tracks.... and I found that the DSD sound "better".  The difference was subtle, but the DSD added an emphasis to the attack of instruments, making them more emphatic.  There were other very subtle similar differences.

Of course, since the DSD tracks were made from PCM recordings, then the DSD process was indeed "adding" to the recording - by definition, a distortion, albeit a subtle one.

It immediately became clear why some audiophiles really "like" DSD - even when most of the DSD out there is sourced from PCM or has PCM in the lineage.   Merely by processing the file with DSD, it sounded "apparently better".   It's like the TVs at stores - they have sharpness and color turned up to look "better" at first glance.

After coming to this conclusion, I read a post by a highly regarded Head-Fi contributor saying that he had (independently) come to the same conclusion about DSD, by a similar process.   So, I was not imagining it.

So, if DSD sounds "better" or "more analogue" to you, it's because it is adding a subtle distortion that is not in the original recording.

And, so there is no real downside to just letting your player (such as Jriver MC21) convert DSD to 24/176.4 PCM on the fly, and letting your Schiit DAC play that.  You will still get that "better" sound.

Nov 11, 2015 at 8:24 PM Post #8,653 of 151,795
Totally unrelated to selling electronics I sold financial products. A senior financial advisor gave me very sound advise that was don't confuse the client with too many chooses. Kinda universal business advise.
and damn just took loki and modi opt off my xmass list

Nov 11, 2015 at 9:43 PM Post #8,654 of 151,795
Can't say I'm surprised by the cancellations; Schiit does a good job of making its product lineup make sense. The one product that seems a little weird right now is Gungnir D/S. 

Because, like: Bifrost multibit is philosophically more "Schiity" for less money, so why would you spend more money for a less-good DAC?

(On the other hand, it does match Mjolnir physically and maybe not everyone buys into the multibit philosophy and it's not like it's that much to keep in their lineup...)

Nov 11, 2015 at 10:04 PM Post #8,655 of 151,795
Can't say I'm surprised by the cancellations; Schiit does a good job of making its product lineup make sense. The one product that seems a little weird right now is Gungnir D/S. 

Because, like: Bifrost multibit is philosophically more "Schiity" for less money, so why would you spend more money for a less-good DAC?

(On the other hand, it does match Mjolnir physically and maybe not everyone buys into the multibit philosophy and it's not like it's that much to keep in their lineup...)

A hardware balanced version of Bimby replacing the Gungnir D/S would be one logical step in moving more multibits into the line. If buy one. 1250 can be steep for some. 849-899 for 17 bits and much better power supply, balanced, and possibly discrete I/V. Sign me up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back