Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Nov 11, 2015 at 11:18 PM Post #8,656 of 151,815
One might consider the Gungnir to be the balanced version of the Bifrost.  Since it requires more or less twice as many parts (single versus balanced) the cost should be, well, roughly twice as much. That's how my layman's mind looks at it anyway.

The product you are looking for might be a cheapened version of a Gungnir but Jason and Mike will have to decide if that's do-able or desirable to do.  I think you're right that there's a place in the $800-900 range for another DAC.  

Rumors are that [redacted] might be that product, of course it might also be one of those new products that Jason mentioned which arrived stillborn and never came to be....only time will tell.

Nov 11, 2015 at 11:58 PM Post #8,657 of 151,815
  One might consider the Gungnir to be the balanced version of the Bifrost.  Since it requires more or less twice as many parts (single versus balanced) the cost should be, well, roughly twice as much. That's how my layman's mind looks at it anyway.

The product you are looking for might be a cheapened version of a Gungnir but Jason and Mike will have to decide if that's do-able or desirable to do.  I think you're right that there's a place in the $800-900 range for another DAC.  

Rumors are that [redacted] might be that product, of course it might also be one of those new products that Jason mentioned which arrived stillborn and never came to be....only time will tell.

I think Jason mentioned that 2015 has been strong enough for the digital side of Schiit. From here on out, it'll be a chance for the analog side of things to redeem itself. Can't wait to see what Jason has up his sleeves.

Nov 12, 2015 at 8:22 AM Post #8,658 of 151,815
Its always refreshing to see Jaosn talk with what Id call brutal honesty about things that most companies dont.
The reason? I dont feel like Im treated like an idiot when I read it.

We all know Schiit is a company that wants to make money so when Jason says "margin matters" he is just confirming something we already know, and in fact, It even makes it look like Jason does not like the fact that is has to matter. (Looks good, even if its not the case :D).

Im still rocking my asgard after a few years and having tried other amps in similar price points, I have never thought to myself "too bad I bought asgard instead of X".

If as Jason says asgard does not break often, even better (I hate programmed obsolescence, in fact I fix most of my gear when it breaks, if at all economically viable).

Nov 12, 2015 at 8:50 AM Post #8,659 of 151,815
A fair number of folks at CA have expressed a wish for a volume control that would allow Yggy to be used with higher powered amps and speakers without a traditional preamp - essentially a BIG SYS.  Remote operation for couch potatoes was also wished for, though I imagine that could ratchet up the expense considerably.

Don't know if that's in the works or being thought about, or if it's in Schiit's wheelhouse, but thought I'd mention it.

Nov 12, 2015 at 9:25 AM Post #8,660 of 151,815
Quote:theblueprint
 Can't wait to see what Jason has up his sleeves.

A pair of neanderthal-like hirsute arms full of "------".    
blink.gif

Nov 12, 2015 at 11:57 AM Post #8,662 of 151,815
  A fair number of folks at CA have expressed a wish for a volume control that would allow Yggy to be used with higher powered amps and speakers without a traditional preamp - essentially a BIG SYS.  Remote operation for couch potatoes was also wished for, though I imagine that could ratchet up the expense considerably.

Don't know if that's in the works or being thought about, or if it's in Schiit's wheelhouse, but thought I'd mention it.

Actually, I don't think remote is all that big of a cost...as long as you're planning on keeping the price point at a very affordable level, and making it more flexible than simply a passive volume control. Passive it would have, of course, but...I'm talking too much.

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Nov 12, 2015 at 11:59 AM Post #8,664 of 151,815
A slip of the tongue?
biggrin.gif

Merely speculation of what might come to be...and I've said, many times, "until it's a product, it's not a product."

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Nov 12, 2015 at 12:01 PM Post #8,665 of 151,815

Seems to me Schiit has some decisions to make as to which markets they want to target. They've been concentrating on HP guys, whether home users or workers who have to keep everything on the desktop. For that demographic, a short Schiit stack works well. Or, potentially, even something like the LIO, a chassis into which can be tossed everything including the amp. Remote makes zero sense, since it's all in arm's reach.

But Ygg and Rag are more appealing to the traditional audiophile whose system is mostly speaker-based with some HP. That's how I use them. (And you need a pretty impressive desk to hold these puppies.) In which applications a "BIG SYS" looks a lot more useful. Along with remote.

What I've been envisioning is a post-preamp for the 21st, century - a control center. All the digital and analog ins and outs, the volume and other switchgear, but with a streamer and NAS controls added; a music server without internal disc storage. This would almost certainly require a touchscreen, and probably a Rag/Ygg size case just for all the jacks. Which would leave room for a DAC, possibly even of Ygg quality but more likely Gumby-grade.

For traditional systems (or use with powered speakers) add a remote and call it done. Bring on the Schiit speaker amps.
For desktop HP applications, fold in an Asgard or even Lyr amp module.

Now this probably violates about all of Schiit's design policies, but it's still worth contemplating if the company wants to expand its horizons. We'll see.

Nov 12, 2015 at 12:42 PM Post #8,669 of 151,815

I'd like to second that--particularly if it supported two or more outputs (so, in a room system, one could support two amps (or pairs of mono blocks)--i.e., two pairs of speakers.)

Something along the lines of the old Creek P43R (http://www.questforsound.com/preamps/preamps_creekP43R.htm), a passive pre-amp that I used to own (without the headphone amp plugin board) and I have kicked myself for letting it go ever since it walked out the door...

Nov 12, 2015 at 1:39 PM Post #8,670 of 151,815
Too much products can kill a company...that's what happened to Stax in 1995, the insane SRM-T2 was just the icing on the cake.

Ali
unless you are a company like Sennheiser, or any of the giants like Samsung that cover markets ranging from phones to appliances, shipbuilding to insurance, and everything in between.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back