Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Nov 12, 2015 at 1:58 PM Post #8,671 of 150,075
unless you are a company like Sennheiser, or any of the giants like Samsung that cover markets ranging from phones to appliances, shipbuilding to insurance, and everything in between.

"Considering its size" was an obvious axiom of my post 
tongue.gif

Ali

Nov 12, 2015 at 3:01 PM Post #8,673 of 150,075
I'll also like to second the recommendation of a Yggy with built in volume control. And I'll like a switch on the back of the chassis to switch between foreign and domestic voltage. One more thing, make larger runs of black chassis Yggys. Just offering suggestions.

Nov 12, 2015 at 3:06 PM Post #8,674 of 150,075
  A fair number of folks at CA have expressed a wish for a volume control that would allow Yggy to be used with higher powered amps and speakers without a traditional preamp - essentially a BIG SYS. 

So, you are saying that the existing SYS cannot be used simply because the case is too small ?

Nov 12, 2015 at 3:18 PM Post #8,675 of 150,075
  So, you are saying that the existing SYS cannot be used simply because the case is too small ?

Folks at CA wanted something that would take advantage of Yggy's balanced configuration.

Nov 12, 2015 at 3:21 PM Post #8,676 of 150,075
Aha, not so much a physically bigger SYS, but rather a Balanced SYS.

BTW, I am reminded - from looking at the SYS board, there does not appear to any devices.

So, is there any reason that it could not be used in the other direction?   Meaning to switch an existing DAC between two different amps?   Typically that would be headphone amp and speaker amp when they are both used in the same room.

Nov 12, 2015 at 3:29 PM Post #8,677 of 150,075

BTW, I am reminded - from looking at the SYS board, there does not appear to any devices.

So, is there any reason that it could not be used in the other direction?   Meaning to switch an existing DAC between two different amps?   Typically that would be headphone amp and speaker amp when they are both used in the same room.

Niles Audio made such a box, a passive switch.  I have one.

Truth be told, lots of people did, but Niles made theirs good enough to not pick up any hum or other noise.

As for SYS, it'll work the same, if you keep the volume set at maximum.

Nov 12, 2015 at 4:08 PM Post #8,678 of 150,075
A Bigger SYS with Remote Volume Control  Balanced and Unbalanced Inputs and Outputs (Inputs Possibly Switched Via Remote as well) ??? You Guys Are nuts. Sign Me Up. I may just Buy that Faster Than The Bifrost Multi Bit and I Ordered the Bimby within hours of its release.

Nov 12, 2015 at 4:22 PM Post #8,680 of 150,075

Niles Audio made such a box, a passive switch.  I have one.

Truth be told, lots of people did, but Niles made theirs good enough to not pick up any hum or other noise.

As for SYS, it'll work the same, if you keep the volume set at maximum.

So the volume won't work the same in the other direction ?

Nov 12, 2015 at 4:39 PM Post #8,683 of 150,075

So the volume won't work the same in the other direction ?

http://schiit.com/products/sys

see near bottom

Yes, I see that Jason says the same thing.  If the switch has selected only one of the two (inputs that are now output), and it is passive, then why does the volume need to be at max?  You can tell that I'm not very knowledgeable at EE, but I can probably understand the explanation. :)

Nov 12, 2015 at 4:43 PM Post #8,684 of 150,075
Why not digital volume control instead? If Yggy converts everything to 32 bit internally, isn't there plenty of room for "lossless" digital volume control before digital attenuation reaches Yggy's 21 ENOB.

You mean like Integrated DAC/AMP? 

Not necessarily, just a DAC with built-in digital volume control. No moving parts too, so remote control implementation should be easier.

Nov 12, 2015 at 4:57 PM Post #8,685 of 150,075
Not necessarily, just a DAC with built-in digital volume control. No moving parts too, so remote control implementation should be easier.

But but bit perfect yada yada.. May not fly with purists.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back