Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Nov 29, 2021 at 1:31 AM Post #84,991 of 151,709
Nov 29, 2021 at 8:48 AM Post #84,993 of 151,709
Speculative fiction isn’t everyone’s cuppa, I agree. I think China’s most approachable work is my favourite (and, IIRC, his first), King Rat, though Perdido Street Station my be his most well known.

@Paladin79 may have thoughts as well (he usually does…)
I mentioned earlier that Perdido is probably his most famous work. We were fairly split in one group over Embassytown but then I am more impressed by Mieville's use of language as well as his plot concepts. Time to move on to a topic others can join in on. :ksc75smile:

Nov 29, 2021 at 8:53 AM Post #84,994 of 151,709
very nice find. :L3000:
Beethoven's 9th symphony added to the play queue...
I must have listened to it five or six times last night, some music enables a person to become absorbed and you forget about much else happening at that point in time. The 9th does that to me. :)

Nov 29, 2021 at 10:01 AM Post #84,995 of 151,709
Please, guys, could you just append "In my opinion" to each thing you post, agree that it's a sign of healthy maturity not to take the opinions of others personally, and stop bickering? Can't we all just get along?
It was Sunday. I had nothing better to do. :wink:

Nov 29, 2021 at 10:03 AM Post #84,996 of 151,709
I don't want to make this personal, but I'm a bit of a loss as to how to formulate my next question. So, here goes: You said that you find value in what I call bling. Ok. What type of value is it? What exactly does it do for you? How does this value manifest itself?
It can make me happy. Do what makes you happy is my advice. Always. :)

Nov 29, 2021 at 11:03 AM Post #84,998 of 151,709
I am happy when I learn new, valuable things. I have learnt a lot these last few pages :)
I learned about the hedge line in India thanks to @KoshNaranek, I knew some of the history of salt in India but not that bit of information. :beerchug: Animals like deer must travel to find salt so I leave Himalayan pink salt for them on my property. I only hunt for food in my supermarket.

Nov 29, 2021 at 11:13 AM Post #85,000 of 151,709
Nov 29, 2021 at 12:24 PM Post #85,001 of 151,709
Albeza, a few things, first of all, what I said is not controversial, meaning it's not just MY opinion, it's widely accepted.
This is wrong on so many levels.
Apart from gold indeed having a very high intrinsic valuable (it's uses are too many to name) the statement "widely accepted" has no value at all.

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2021 at 1:39 PM Post #85,002 of 151,709
Personally, I usually employ a very quick and crowdsourced "signal to noise ratio" test to decide which posts are worth reading.

signal to noise ratio = likes count / post count

A signal to noise ratio of less than 1.0 means that the user receives, on average, fewer than one like per post, revealing a user's overwhelming tendency to either post content that is of little relevance or content that is outright contrarian with little redeeming value to their readers.

They clearly create a lot of noise and very little signal, from which follows that whichever post I have in front of me is unlikely to add anything of actual value to my day – and can thus safely be ignored.

Yes, free speech is a right.
But to be listened (and responded) to is a privilege that has to be earned. :wink:

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2021 at 1:42 PM Post #85,003 of 151,709
care.jpeg
It's great to have an opinion but you seem to be trying to convince the forum that your point-of-view is somehow fact. There's an old saying that "beauty is in the eye of the beholder." My personal corollary is "value is in the eye of the beholder." This includes intrinsic value. My idea of beauty or value may/may not be the same as yours. That doesn't mean either of us is right or wrong. IMHO.
This discussion sounds like the objectivist (intrinsic value) vs. subjectivist (value is a social construct) debates.

Nov 29, 2021 at 1:49 PM Post #85,004 of 151,709
Personally, I usually employ a very quick and crowdsourced "signal to noise ratio" test to decide which posts are worth reading.

signal to noise ratio = likes count / post count

A signal to noise ratio of less than 1.0 means that the user receives, on average, fewer than one like per post, revealing a user's overwhelming tendency to either post content that is of little relevance or content that is outright contrarian with little redeeming value to their readers.

They clearly create a lot of noise and very little signal, from which follows that whichever post I have in front of me is unlikely to add anything of actual value to my day – and can thus safely be ignored.

Yes, free speech is a right.
But to be listened (and responded) to is a privilege that has to be earned. :wink:

Boy, if I'm at the top of the Bell Curve, we are in trouble...! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Nov 29, 2021 at 1:58 PM Post #85,005 of 151,709

Users who are viewing this thread

Back