Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Nov 28, 2021 at 6:54 PM Post #84,961 of 149,646
D66C5E5D-61EF-4C1D-9929-2199EA201D11.jpeg
What is the poster in the background on the left?
That is a Tesla patent for an electro magnetic motor dated 1888

Last edited:
Nov 28, 2021 at 7:04 PM Post #84,963 of 149,646
Maybe some just think bling is purty.

I'm hard pressed to think of any material item that has any intrinsic value. Value is mostly a social construct. The value of something is that which we choose to afiix to it, IMHO. 😏
Food has intrinsic value, industrial metals, wood, etc. Anything that can be used has intrinsic value. You can't eat gold, you can't make weapons with it, it's too malleable, you can't build a house with it, you really can't use for anything. Hence, it has no intrinsic value.

So, let's say that it's just pretty. Ok. If I see gold and I admire it because it's pretty, that's one thing. However, if I were to wear it, then I announce that I am beautiful now. I'm not beautiful without gold, but gold makes ME beautiful. We can make it even more subtle than that. I am MORE beautiful with gold than I am without. That's feeding an insecurity because wearing gold doesn't change ME. It only changes the way I feel about myself.

Nov 28, 2021 at 7:09 PM Post #84,964 of 149,646
Food has intrinsic value, industrial metals, wood, etc. Anything that can be used has intrinsic value. You can't eat gold, you can't make weapons with it, it's too malleable, you can't build a house with it, you really can't use for anything. Hence, it has no intrinsic value.

So, let's say that it's just pretty. Ok. If I see gold and I admire it because it's pretty, that's one thing. However, if I were to wear it, then I announce that I am beautiful now. I'm not beautiful without gold, but gold makes ME beautiful. We can make it even more subtle than that. I am MORE beautiful with gold than I am without. That's feeding an insecurity because wearing gold doesn't change ME. It only changes the way I feel about myself.
You can eat gold.
https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/...Tn_J23W8bKPqSLW7EjAH5hQs9Mn-qv_MLMnkAy7JpFE&s

Also gold does not tarnish so it is used throughout electronics, it is a good conductor.😉

Nov 28, 2021 at 7:19 PM Post #84,965 of 149,646
There are things that have no intrinsic value, such as jewelry, gold, etc. That's not controversial. I have labeled all of those things as "bling". Hence, bling has no value. Its "value" lies primarily in satisfying one's insecurities by raising one's self esteem in one's own mind and using said bling as a security blanket.
And once again, that is an opinion that you may hold for yourself, but it is not one that applies to anyone else. I find value in jewelry, gold, what you call bling. It has nothing to do with self esteem or "insecurities," a term which I find incredibly insulting by the way. It has to do with the intrinsic value placed on them by me and by society. If you see bling as a security blanket, fine, live your life bling-free. But stop insulting me and anyone else who likes bling, who finds value in bling, and who thinks you are being insufferable. Maybe that last one is just me.

Nov 28, 2021 at 7:23 PM Post #84,966 of 149,646
Well, I guess my wife has some serious self-esteem issues and I'm an enabler. :D

Art also has no intrinsic value. I wonder what emotional void the artist and the art lovers are trying to fill? :wink:

Last edited:
Nov 28, 2021 at 7:25 PM Post #84,967 of 149,646
Well, I guess my wife has some serious self-esteem issues and I'm an enabler. :D

Art also has no intrinsic value. I wonder what emotional void the artist and the art lovers are trying to fill. :wink:
Value is a social construct. Art has value because people appreciate it. Or hate it. Art (good art) creates emotion.

Nov 28, 2021 at 7:34 PM Post #84,968 of 149,646
There are things that have no intrinsic value, such as jewelry, gold, etc. That's not controversial. I have labeled all of those things as "bling". Hence, bling has no value. Its "value" lies primarily in satisfying one's insecurities by raising one's self esteem in one's own mind and using said bling as a security blanket.
I think we are mixing terms of value:

Absolute is what something is worth considering the cost to produce it.

Example: if something is made of gold, it may have a higher absolute value than something made of tin.

Intrinsic value is tied to function, utility, durability related to cost.

Example: i once bought no name tires for $300 for my van and they lasted 18 months. Later I purchased $600 Michelin tires for the same van and they lasted 30 months, stopped better, and mildly improved fuel economy. The piece of mind was worth it.

Associated value is tied to the end user's experiences and the utility of the product for that particular user.

Example: if you are a chef, a $300 professional knife will be of more value to you than 10 $30 knives that are considered "good enough" by consumers.

Perceived value is tied to what consumers think something is worth based on brand, aesthetics, and reviews, etc.

Example: Luxora (not sure of correct spelling) makes many of the luxury brand name eyeglass frames, but the retail price varies according to which name is placed on them, not the materials used or cost of manufacturing them. (60 minutes).

Everything thing has value; however, in most cases value is the sum of various metrics you are using to assess said value.

Edited some of my typos (note to self: never type anything without reading glasses while in a car waiting for your wife to finish shopping - we used her car... so my back up reading glasses weren't available).

Last edited:
Nov 28, 2021 at 7:35 PM Post #84,969 of 149,646
Value is a social construct. Art has value because people appreciate it. Or hate it. Art (good art) creates emotion.

Yep.

I'm hard pressed to think of any material item that has any intrinsic value. Value is mostly a social construct. The value of something is that which we choose to afiix to it, IMHO. 😏

Nov 28, 2021 at 7:48 PM Post #84,970 of 149,646

Art also has no intrinsic value. I wonder what emotional void the artist and the art lovers are trying to fill? :wink:
And once again, that is an opinion that you may hold for yourself, but it is not one that applies to anyone else. I find value in jewelry, gold, what you call bling. It has nothing to do with self esteem or "insecurities," a term which I find incredibly insulting by the way. It has to do with the intrinsic value placed on them by me and by society. If you see bling as a security blanket, fine, live your life bling-free. But stop insulting me and anyone else who likes bling, who finds value in bling, and who thinks you are being insufferable. Maybe that last one is just me.

Ripper, You are indeed an enabler. :D Art, just like music and literature is emotional communication. Art lovers experience emotions communicated via whatever medium by those who created those pieces.

Albeza, a few things, first of all, what I said is not controversial, meaning it's not just MY opinion, it's widely accepted. This is nothing new. Secondly, this discussion has nothing to do with you personally, there is no intent, nor is there a possibility to insult you given that I have no idea who you are, so there is no reason to take it personally.

I don't want to make this personal, but I'm a bit of a loss as to how to formulate my next question. So, here goes: You said that you find value in what I call bling. Ok. What type of value is it? What exactly does it do for you? How does this value manifest itself?

Nov 28, 2021 at 7:52 PM Post #84,971 of 149,646
An item is worth what people are willing to pay for it. Salt at one time was quite valuable yet it is the fifth most plentiful mineral on earth. We get our word salary from it.

Nov 28, 2021 at 8:32 PM Post #84,972 of 149,646
Nov 28, 2021 at 8:36 PM Post #84,973 of 149,646
Yep...surely most folks on this forum should get that given that they appreciate some artists and their music more than other artists and their music

Nov 28, 2021 at 8:40 PM Post #84,974 of 149,646
Maybe some just think bling is purty.

Oh, there are several physical items that have intrinsic value, even though it's not always perceived. And the value varies, often accompanied by changes in perception.

For instance, water, food, air. Things that no living organism absolutely can do without definitely have intrinsic value. The fact that someone in Portofino might throw something away doesn't indicate that something which could mean life or death for someone in Bangladesh doesn't indicate it has no intrinsic value. As said Portofinian will suddenly discover when s/he walks in the Bangladeshi's shoes...

Nov 28, 2021 at 8:41 PM Post #84,975 of 149,646

Users who are viewing this thread

Back