Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Nov 28, 2021 at 1:57 PM Post #84,931 of 145,791
You didn't keep the rig? I guess that means you're not a hoarder collector... 😉😉
I like to add to my audio gear account and I already have a couple turntables.😜 Tubes are another matter, I might give a few away but I do collect some of those since they are small and appreciate in value.

Nov 28, 2021 at 2:20 PM Post #84,932 of 145,791
That large square clock in the first picture is calling to me - would you please DM his contact information?
/john
as he is in Europe (which is 230V/50Hz) it might not run so well on 120V/60Hz. :triportsad: A 2:1 stepdown transformer would give you a clock that runs, albeit a tiny bit... like 20% :ksc75smile: fast, but you won't be late ever again.

Nov 28, 2021 at 3:04 PM Post #84,933 of 145,791
Why bother with audio equipment at all when you can just listen to your phone? If you want headphones for said phone, Beats may be a great choice, I assume they work just fine. :ksc75smile: Pretty much anything that converts a digital signal to analog contains a working DAC, they are everywhere. That does not mean each produces the sound most folks involved in audio might want. I had the pleasure of rating 20 different DACS blind with a large group, unfortunately no phones were used; if all votes were equal across the board then one might assume all sounded the same. This did not happen of course but we did find that a DAC selling for $500 might rank above one selling for $4,000. Even when using the same chips the input and output circuitry can make quite a difference IMHO.
The “A” in DAC does stand for analog, people seem to forget this when they harp about “1’s and 0’s.” If you are processing analog there are probably a hundred ways to change the sound.

Nov 28, 2021 at 3:11 PM Post #84,934 of 145,791
The “A” in DAC does stand for analog, people seem to forget this when they harp about “1’s and 0’s.” If you are processing analog there are probably a hundred ways to change the sound.
True. I tried to simplify the testing I was involved in, we also had R2R and a multibit or two in the mix. Sticking to just Delta Sigmas and hearing the differences makes it easy to show why output matters.

Last edited:
Nov 28, 2021 at 3:14 PM Post #84,935 of 145,791
I don't know about pre-washed potatoes, but whoever invented pre-cooked bacon should be elected Emperor. :laughing:

My BiL's dog would strongly concur. Though truthfully he would just as soon eat uncooked bacon, Or cat poop, for that matter.

So it's unclear how much weight one should give to his culinary observations.

EDIT: And not intending this to be an opening for the resumption of jingoistic BBQ bickering. :p

Last edited:
Nov 28, 2021 at 3:34 PM Post #84,936 of 145,791
Good catch, I looked at the photos a couple times and never picked up on Bosch on the screen.
Now I have to start watching Bosch darn it

Nov 28, 2021 at 3:42 PM Post #84,937 of 145,791
It isn't my favorite book for several reasons. But I'm glad you recommended it. I think we have many tastes in common and just because we disagree about The City and the City, doesn't mean my time was wasted. I'd like to read at least one of Mieville's other books to find out if I like his stuff. I read some of the interview at the back of my copy and it sounds like his writings are varied. Another author I've read, Michael Chabon, also has a varied body of work. My favorite, Gentlemen of the Road, is his least popular according to reviews I've read. Go figure.

As to The City and the City, I found it a strange combination of genres: part detective story, part police procedural, part sci-fi/ fantasy, part origin story (the two cities and The Cleavage which created them). What I didn't like is none of the various genres were explored or filled out enough for my tastes. I found myself wanting to know more about The Cleavage and how Beszel and Ul Qoma came to be even though the rest of the Earth is "normal". I suppose there was enough procedural content, but how did Breach relate to the rest of the world? Did citizens of other countries ever get "disappeared", either on purpose or in error? What would happen then? I also found myself frustrated Mieville chose to make Beszel and Ul Qoma into police states rather than explore the other weirdness which could be possible if you could disappear from one city and arrive in another "displaced" by some weird fracture in the universe. He hinted each city had different foreign allies and trading partners, it would have been an interesting thing to read about how foreign affairs were handled. Then there's the whole thing of Beszel and Ul Qoma being "just cities", what about the country they belong to?
Maybe you're reading the "wrong" Melville?

The Confidence Man is a vastly under appreciated work by a literary master.

Nov 28, 2021 at 3:44 PM Post #84,938 of 145,791
Maybe you're reading the "wrong" Melville?

The Confidence Man is a vastly under appreciated work by a literary master.
The author is China Mieville, known for sci-fi. Best known work is probably Perdido Street Station.

Last edited:
Nov 28, 2021 at 3:55 PM Post #84,940 of 145,791
The author is China Mieville, known for sci-fi. Best know work is probably Perdido Street Station.
Sorry, my coffee has not kicked in yet to cover up my mild dyslexia (I tend to interpolate/transpose letters while reading).

Having to focus while reading has made many books imprint themselves into my memory taking me all the way to a literature degree and professorship.

Nov 28, 2021 at 3:59 PM Post #84,941 of 145,791
Sorry, my coffee has not kicked in yet to cover up my mild dyslexia (I tend to interpolate/transpose letters while reading), but having to focus has made many books imprint themselves into my memory all the way to literature degree and professorship.
Not a problem, there is also an accent above his last name I tend to leave off when using the keyboard on my phone. Your accomplishments in literature are admirable, you should be the person correcting me.😉

Last edited:
Nov 28, 2021 at 4:16 PM Post #84,942 of 145,791
Not a problem, there is also an accent above his last name I tend to leave off when using the keyboard on my phone.
I can make all sorts of accents and other diacritical marks on my iPhone. Ironically I am a Windows PC fan, but it is too much effort for me on the PC. Apple has made it easy.

Nov 28, 2021 at 4:26 PM Post #84,943 of 145,791
I can make all sorts of accents and other diacritical marks on my iPhone. Ironically I am a Windows PC fan, but it is too much effort for me on the PC. Apple has made it easy.
Lol I am on an IPhone but I am lazy. I am also watching two NFL games and listening to an Audible version of Dune.😜

Nov 28, 2021 at 4:29 PM Post #84,944 of 145,791
Not a problem, there is also an accent above his last name I tend to leave off when using the keyboard on my phone. Your accomplishments in literature are admirable, you should be the person correcting me.😉
This is all I've ever read. It was pretty boring, so I decided reading wasn't my thing. :laughing:

1638134917756.png

Nov 28, 2021 at 4:35 PM Post #84,945 of 145,791
This is all I've ever read. It was pretty boring, so I decided reading wasn't my thing. :laughing:

I certainly hope you have read the users manual and warranty info for the Incubus. I am allowed to void your warranty if you play any Marilyn Manson through it!!! Then there is a short list of tubes you are allowed to use.😜

Users who are viewing this thread

Back