Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Nov 3, 2021 at 9:03 AM Post #83,716 of 152,837
IMO, 100% solid state or a tube hybrid (tube front-end, SS output stage) amp is the way to go with LCD-5, being 14 ohms and (low to medium) 90dB/mW efficiency. Is your desire to upgrade the MJ2 to seek a change in tonality, or upgrade-itis :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: (nothing wrong with either motivation)

Perhaps those most familiar with the voicing of different tubes could provide some suggestions for tube rolling (knowing what you've tried and your voicing preferences) in the MJ2.
I rarely listen to solid state amps even though I own several, all are class A.

I sent some tubes for a Mjolnir to @KoshNaranek, Amperex and Reflektor as best I recall maybe he can jump in and help? I have given away most of the spares I rarely listen to or I would help out more.

I am terrible at describing tube sound and the point system I use would be meaningless to most folks, I tend to use Reflektor silver shield 6n23P's from the mid seventies, someone like @bcowen could certainly help with other tubes that might be less costly.

Last edited:
Nov 3, 2021 at 5:07 PM Post #83,717 of 152,837
Not all 6N6P's were created equal. So while tube angst is not necessary, it is still possible. Whew. :laughing: :laughing:
Rest easy, @Jason Stoddard would not design something which deprives you of such an important part of your life. Preserving tube angst is part of the Schiit Mission Statement.

Actually, I think @Baldr is working on a tube DAC to increase the amount of tube angst available world wide.

Last edited:
Nov 3, 2021 at 5:12 PM Post #83,718 of 152,837
Well aren’t you Mr. Alliteration tonight? Keep me in mind for some of those and I will build you something, some day, maybe.😎
I think I read, probably on Reddit so you know the information is reliable, there's weird interaction of some kind between Foton tubes from the '50s and card board. You may need some special design features for @bcowen's future new amp (besides the choice of case material). Forewarned is fore-armed.

Nov 3, 2021 at 5:17 PM Post #83,720 of 152,837
If you have a preamp (volume control) in the signal path, you could consider a speaker power amp, either an all-tube unit or an Aegir with a (custom) spade lugs or banana plugs to XLR-4 balanced adapter. Aegir should provide a more than ample 7W/channel into the LCD-5. Make sure that speaker amp has powerup / shutdown protection relay to prevent a turn-on/turn-off thump from damaging your HP's which are more fragile than loudspeaker drivers.
I'm doing exactly this in my living room system. I made a pig tail (OK, it's a little long to be called a pig tail...) using Kimber 4TC (I think) with bare (tinned) ends on the Aegir side and a female 4-pin XLR on the other side to plug my head phones into. Works quite well.

Nov 3, 2021 at 5:20 PM Post #83,721 of 152,837
Nov 3, 2021 at 6:56 PM Post #83,722 of 152,837
Nov 3, 2021 at 7:16 PM Post #83,724 of 152,837
I think I read, probably on Reddit so you know the information is reliable, there's weird interaction of some kind between Foton tubes from the '50s and double-wall card board. You may need some special design features for @bcowen's future new amp (besides the choice of case material). Forewarned is fore-armed.
FTFY. Just for clarity. :laughing:

Nov 3, 2021 at 7:31 PM Post #83,726 of 152,837
Nov 3, 2021 at 7:42 PM Post #83,727 of 152,837
Doesn't the Aeger also power down for some sort of load overload and not just heat? My first Vidar would power off at about 5 watts so they sent me a new one. It has never powered off.

Load "overload" and heat are the same thing. As the load decreases, the output devices run at higher current and, create more heat. More heat = more closer to death. The the protection can be done multiple ways.

Nov 3, 2021 at 7:48 PM Post #83,728 of 152,837
Nov 3, 2021 at 7:49 PM Post #83,729 of 152,837
Rest easy, @Jason Stoddard would not design something which deprives you of such an important part of your life. Preserving tube angst is part of the Schiit Mission Statement.

Actually, I think @Baldr is working on a tube DAC to increase the amount of tube angst available world wide.
Actually, Mike had a very colorful response when asked if he would make a tube DAC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back