Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Nov 3, 2021 at 7:54 PM Post #83,731 of 155,097
I rarely listen to solid state amps even though I own several, all are class A.

I sent some tubes for a Mjolnir to @KoshNaranek, Amperex and Reflektor as best I recall maybe he can jump in and help? I have given away most of the spares I rarely listen to or I would help out more.

I am terrible at describing tube sound and the point system I use would be meaningless to most folks, I tend to use Reflektor silver shield 6n23P's from the mid seventies, someone like @bcowen could certainly help with other tubes that might be less costly.
I have come to the conclusion that audio is very subjective and it difficult for one person to unreservedly recommend equipment to another.

For some reason, tubes appear to be even more subjective than most audio equipment. For example, I agree with @Ableza recommendions on speakers and headphones. I disagree with his recommendations on tubes for Mjolnir. (Gold Lion)

@bcowen hates GE but my wife and I don't think that they are that bad

My wife hates RCA tubes in Freya but I like them. Both of us Like Hitachi and we don't like JJ.

She clearly prefers PS Audio Directstream DAC to Yggdrasil while I think that they are pretty close in sound and don't have a strong preference.

With this in mind, I suggest finding a vocal member of this community whose recommendations you agree with on specific items that you, yourself have tried and extrapolate from there.

In the end, please remember that free advice is frequently worth exactly what you paid for it.

Nov 3, 2021 at 7:57 PM Post #83,732 of 155,097
As well as tubes, there's a cardboard shortage, so is he hoarding that now, too?
No. I'm still trying to unload all the toilet paper from last year. :laughing:

Nov 3, 2021 at 8:21 PM Post #83,734 of 155,097
I have come to the conclusion that audio is very subjective and it difficult for one person to unreservedly recommend equipment to another.

For some reason, tubes appear to be even more subjective than most audio equipment. For example, I agree with @Ableza recommendions on speakers and headphones. I disagree with his recommendations on tubes for Mjolnir. (Gold Lion)

My wife hates RCA tubes in Freya but I like them. Both of us Like Hitachi and we don't like JJ.

She clearly prefers PS Audio Directstream DAC to Yggdrasil while I think that they are pretty close in sound and don't have a strong preference.

With this in mind, I suggest finding a vocal member of this community whose recommendations you agree with on specific items that you, yourself have tried and extrapolate from there.

In the end, please remember that free advice is frequently worth exactly what you paid for it.
Well said, and I totally agree with your conclusion. Just to add, tubes can also be very dependent on the component they are used in. For example, some tubes that were favorites in a couple previous amps didn't light my fire in the Lyr 3. But some other tubes that were rather pedestrian in those previous amps sounded extremely good in the Lyr 3. Very different topologies involved and a (not surprisingly) different end result.

My best recommendation is to follow a thread that is specific to the amp or component in use. Preference bias will always exist (and rightly so), but that at least minimizes the variable of the component.

To @fugimax , there's an excellent Mjolnir 2 thread here with lots of great info:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/schiit-mjolnir-2-listening-impressions.778250/

Last edited:
Nov 3, 2021 at 8:24 PM Post #83,735 of 155,097
As well as tubes, there's a cardboard shortage, so is he hoarding that now, too?
That may well be, the man has some ways about him that are just not right.😜

I plan to build one last amp, seriously well constructed in tiger maple with parts to his liking and lend it to a few folks here. Eventually he will fold like a cheap suit (mixed metaphor) and beg me for it.🤣 You can only be truly happy when working towards a goal. I think Maxwell Maltz said that. 😎

Nov 3, 2021 at 8:36 PM Post #83,736 of 155,097

Very well said!! I rarely rely on anyone who says “I think this or I recommend that”, each of us should choose our own course and learn to think independently and listen with our own ears. That being said, if I like something, it is good to know there are others out there who will give me an honest opinion without feeling pressured. 😀

I best not get into DAC’s, I chose the same one that a large group of friends did in blind comparisons but that discussion would be best for PM’s. 😜

Last edited:
Nov 3, 2021 at 9:15 PM Post #83,738 of 155,097
That may well be, the man has some ways about him that are just not right.😜

I plan to build one last amp, seriously well constructed in tiger maple with parts to his liking PLUS EXTRA ROOM FOR EVEN MORE CAPACITORS and lend it to a few folks here. Eventually he will fold like a cheap suit (mixed metaphor) WET SINGLE-WALL CARDBOARD and beg me for it.🤣 You can only be truly happy when working towards a goal. I think Maxwell Maltz said that. 😎
FTFY (2X) :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Last edited:
Nov 3, 2021 at 9:19 PM Post #83,739 of 155,097
Nov 3, 2021 at 9:37 PM Post #83,740 of 155,097
I looked at the specification for Magnius and can't find valid input range for balanced. I assume that there is some level of input that would either distort or harm the unit. Does anyone know what that is?
IIRC, on Magnius the volume control is situated before the first gain stage, so it should still work with 8V balanced inputs provided you set the volume control carefully and run in lower gain mode. the Schiit external DACs are 2V SE and 4V balanced XLR out, so the Magnius should at least handle those levels.

Last edited:
Nov 3, 2021 at 9:55 PM Post #83,741 of 155,097
Nov 3, 2021 at 10:34 PM Post #83,742 of 155,097
Nov 3, 2021 at 10:37 PM Post #83,743 of 155,097
Actually, Mike had a very colorful response when asked if he would make a tube DAC.
Deflection and deception.

Nov 3, 2021 at 10:38 PM Post #83,744 of 155,097
I think I read, probably on Reddit so you know the information is reliable, there's weird interaction of some kind between Foton tubes from the '50s and card board. You may need some special design features for @bcowen's future new amp (besides the choice of case material). Forewarned is fore-armed.

FTFY. Just for clarity. :laughing:
Oh my goodness, my bad.

Nov 4, 2021 at 3:23 AM Post #83,745 of 155,097
Discontinued I believe; difficult to make and not enough demand, if I remember correctly. I do have a pair for my Mjolnir 2 and a single for my LYR3, collectibles now, LOL!
Yeah, thanks. I asked after reading about how challenging it was to find tubes. Worst case maybe they could bring those back 🙂. Hell, these days I would buy a set to experiment in my Freya+ 😎

Users who are viewing this thread

Back