Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Oct 9, 2015 at 9:08 PM Post #7,996 of 151,801
Mr.aamefford,

Big stockings?, they pale by comparison to my wife's taking the girls 3 on Shopping Trips to everywhere. I'd make ya cringe. Don't get married!

I nearly bought the Valhalla 2 after the Ann Arbor meet where I heard the Yggy and got "hearing scared" cause I couldn't hear what all the fuss was about.   I scheduled a U of M Hospital Hearing evaluation to discover my personal hearing curves.  I'm way off the norms for normal people but I also learned how to correct and I'm back in the game.  So, I'm look'en for another shot at the Yggy or one of the two other new release DACs.   I stay with 16Bit music so maybe I'll just pop for the Bifrost Multi.  

Might get another Schiit "Stocking stuffer" for xmas this December ( if they ever get caught up from demand based shortages ) . 

Tony in Michigan

Oct 9, 2015 at 9:42 PM Post #7,997 of 151,801
  Mr.aamefford,

Big stockings?, they pale by comparison to my wife's taking the girls 3 on Shopping Trips to everywhere. I'd make ya cringe. Don't get married!

I nearly bought the Valhalla 2 after the Ann Arbor meet where I heard the Yggy and got "hearing scared" cause I couldn't hear what all the fuss was about.   I scheduled a U of M Hospital Hearing evaluation to discover my personal hearing curves.  I'm way off the norms for normal people but I also learned how to correct and I'm back in the game.  So, I'm look'en for another shot at the Yggy or one of the two other new release DACs.   I stay with 16Bit music so maybe I'll just pop for the Bifrost Multi.  

Might get another Schiit "Stocking stuffer" for xmas this December ( if they ever get caught up from demand based shortages ) . 

Tony in Michigan

Strictly a physical dimensions statement!  Married 12+ years, happily, with a beautiful 10 year old.  I'm a late starter, so kind of an oldster, though about 10-ish years from customary retirement age.  I'm curious about the curves and how you correct, but that might be better in a different thread or via PM.  Cheers!

Oct 9, 2015 at 10:28 PM Post #7,998 of 151,801

Correcting Curves 

It's amazingly simple. Anyone can do it easily! 

First you need an Audiologist's evaluation, 

Second you simply Equalize to your Ear's + Brain's + your skull conductivity curve and the Headphone's response curve ( provided by the Great Professor Tyll @ Innerfidelty ) and presto, your hearing is ruler flat and as delightful as that of a new born baby.  

You're Audiologist can patiently explain to you that there is only One documented case of naturally perfect hearing in the U.S.A which belongs to that Lipinsky guy that makes the Mastering Studio Monitors.  ( there are probably more that haven't been discovered yet ) 

EVERYBODY has hearing issues, no exceptions.   

Harmon's Floyd Toole describes some of this in their YOUtube videos.

It's a no brainer, nothing to worry about.  

Turns out that even severe hearing loss can be corrected nicely, I'm only moderate, for now.  

Tony in Michigan

Oct 10, 2015 at 4:33 AM Post #7,999 of 151,801
Quote:tonykaz
 I'm only moderate, for now.  

Awwww c'mon. Tony.  You could never be called moderate.

Just because others such as the clowns at Innerfidelity cannot grasp your unique perspective does not make it wrong.   
wink_face.gif

Oct 10, 2015 at 6:51 AM Post #8,000 of 151,801
Stereophile reviewed the Bifrost in 2013. I wonder if they have the guts to review the Bifrost MB now?

I think it is a game changer and it even beat my Theta DAC that had the advantage of being much more spacious sounding than the Bifrost Uber and more dynamic. Now I think the Bifrost MB is equally there in dynamics but has an even bigger soundstage than the DSP controlled Theta DAC with original Moffatt filter with faster sounding highs without splashy decay.

Can anyone possibly name a DAC that could beat it for $600? I'm talking about new and not on the used market like an old R2R that will break someday.

+1 Your words make me want to get the Bifrost Multibit as soon as my wallet allows. I think this dac will pair nicely with the Liquid Carbon. Schiit rocks, those Audio Wizards are just superb for creating such great audio devices, that offer fantastic value, for the money. :)

Oct 10, 2015 at 9:26 AM Post #8,002 of 151,801

Mistah Wink,

You gotta Tesla Coil?  

I just read your profile, hope you don't mind. 

I started my Career as a Calibration Engineer:  Strain Gage Load Cells, Torque Measurement Equipment, Borden Tube pressure measurement.

I think you probably own all the Headphones I'm considering :  HD700 & HD800  and the Stax 404 plus their 006 tube amp.

Are you the "Down-under" Headphone group "Higher Authority"?, seems like you could be.

I'm working to get my entire Music System down to fitting in a Brief Case : a MacBook with Flash Memory, Amp & DAC, Phones all in a nice little package, ready to go at a moments notice.  Of course,  Genelec Active Monitors would need their own portable case.   I'm finally getting close to completing the final resulting design.  

Geez, I'm hearing nice things about you Aussie folks, everyone seems well educated and well informed. Very impressive.  Folks talk kinda funny though but seem nice enough:).  You might have an "Ideal" Wintering grounds for an Arctic Circle hugger like me.  My wife is terrified of Spiders so she would never go down there, I'd have to go it alone, darn! and you got guys like Robbie McKewen to ride bikes with ( although I'm far too old to keep up with the likes of him).

I'm a right down the middle Moderate, my boss calls me the "Patron Saint of Mediocracy" so maybe I wouldn't fit in all that well with ya-all, might be I'd fit in better with Kiwi's and the Sail Boats.

Tony in Michigan 

Oct 10, 2015 at 10:49 AM Post #8,003 of 151,801
I got a Tesla coil.  Haven't used it in over 20 years due to a refurb that never got completed.

My cal experience was in electrical/electronic equipment.

No guru, just a collector of fine musical reproducers.

Us Aussies are just folks We all talk funny. Have you been around England and heard all the different accents? Some of them are totally bewildering.
We have our Queensland drawl and South Australian dialect which is as far removed from the mainstream as the New Zealanders.

Spiders and snakes are no problem in the capital cities.  In the bush you don't see that many if you make lots of noise.

If you're right down the middle, you get shot at by both sides. Besides, If you cop flak from both sides, you're pretty close to being in the right.

Just to keep this on topuc:  I want a Yggdrasil and/or a [REDACTED]. Don't need on/of switches on the front, nor remote controls (but that would be handy). 
wink_face.gif

Oct 10, 2015 at 10:56 AM Post #8,004 of 151,801
Happy birthday Jason, thanks for creating such amazing audio equipment.

Oct 10, 2015 at 12:11 PM Post #8,005 of 151,801

Mr. Wink,

Yes, we all talk funny and I lived in England for a while, put wood in oil = close the door ( hole pronounced as oil ) .  I love England and living there, they think I'm a Yankee ( I'm Russian/Sweed).  

I'll stay with the Bugs being everywhere ( like my wifey thinks ), she won't want to tag along if the Spiders might get her. I'm quite happy to trudge along without having to carry her luggage, open her doors and listen to her complaining. Phew, going alone is the best part of my Vacation and travels.  Besides there's plenty of gals wanting to just hang out for a bit.  

I think Schiit is itch'n to send you both of your choices but now that they're getting better known and recognized they're likely to stay on Back-order status. I'm not worried though, by the time they get caught up on the Bifrost Multi they'll be releasing the Bifrost Multi 2!  No rush for me, I love what I have.  

Switches & Remotes, with ur background you can create both, all by yourself (outboard) as I did (and I'm not all that smart) .

Tony in Michigan

Oct 10, 2015 at 8:58 PM Post #8,007 of 151,801

More Big Sound 2015 Revelations

Tyll's latest report is thick with candid observations concerning all that went on during his Extravagant exploration into the World of headphone gear.  

It's an eyeopener. A must read. A useful summary. 

It nicely covers all three headphone types: Dynamic Drivers, Planer Drivers, Electrostatic Drivers and Multiple (w/crossover) Drivers.  ( no in ear monitors, at all ) 

It covers Amps

It covers DACs

It covers Cabling

It covers Equalizing

All of it with End-game level gear

Video's are part of the whole event

Much more is promised 

Read between the lines and you'll find yourself gravitating to the Stoddard/Moffat Sun, their pull seems stronger than ever. 

Phew, what a bundle of work it took to make this happen, my thanks to Tyll and his supporting Stereophile people!  

Bob Katz gives all this a legitimacy boost the likes of which we never see in Main-Line Audiophile Press reviewing.  

I gave Schiit my Manufacturer of the Year Award,  I have to give Tyll my Audio Reviewer of the Decade Award. 

Nice work Tyll, You-de-Man!  

Tony in Michigan

Users who are viewing this thread

Back