Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Oct 9, 2015 at 1:43 PM Post #7,981 of 153,436
Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Oct 9, 2015 at 2:01 PM Post #7,982 of 153,436

4th avenue : Figure out how much Mike/Dave cost.

Yeah Clearly Missed the Whole Pimp Mike and Dave out Option.

Schitt may need to Hire security when either of them do shows now, A Black Van May just cut them off on the way to the show and kidnap them. They will torture Mike with having to listen to DSD until he breaks.

Oct 9, 2015 at 2:04 PM Post #7,983 of 153,436

Yes Thiel.  And yes, poof all that and more is gone, replaced by my server.  And yes, second floor.  I never owned Linn TT, I was a SL1200 guy.

A very good friend from high school was one of lead designers at Thiel.  I had the chance to get some serious speakers basically below cost because they were lab protos.  Then Mr. Thiel passed and that company tanked.  Too bad.  They made great stuff. 

Oct 9, 2015 at 2:12 PM Post #7,984 of 153,436

Thiel,

I love'd em, sold tons of em, I also knew Jim & Kathy.   Kathy Gornick sold the Business, Jim's brother did all the Speaker Building, on Nandino Blvd I think.  
Thiel was the Basis of all our Loudspeaker Sales.  

Thiel was one of the bright spots in the Midwest Audio World, Magnapan and Audio Research were the other two.  

Now, Legacy Speakers in Indiana are trying to break in. Bill Duderson I think, haven't met him, yet. Nice products!

Tony in Michigan  

Oct 9, 2015 at 3:02 PM Post #7,985 of 153,436
I got my ($399) Bifrost yesturday,
I still need to burn it in more BUT I already notice a stronger sound and using it with my V2, I don't hear as music noise like like I did with the modi, I think it's great, I might look at getting the upgrade in the future but I'm not sure when.
Thank you Schiit!
Let's do a what-if.

What if someone else wants to get in on the multibit action? What options do they have?

I see only three avenues:

1. Use one of four moribund multibit audio chips (AD1851, 1856, 1866, PCM1704). Which are either 16-bit or expensive. All need external digital filters, too.
2. Use discrete resistor ladders, like some manufacturers. Terrifyingly expensive.
3. Develop a new platform, as we have done.

So, the think point is this: who has the resources to develop a new platform? Yes, there are other companies that can do this, but they're rather thin on the ground in audio.

And, in the companies that have the resources to develop a new multibit platform, are there any that haven't committed entirely to the lockstep "higher bit rates and single-bit conversion is all" camp? 

Just wondering if I've missed something.

Oct 9, 2015 at 3:40 PM Post #7,986 of 153,436
  Congrats to Schiit on the very positive Asgard 2 review in the Audiophile Voice mag.

Hopefully most are past needing a great review to know that the Asgard 2 is so good for the money that it's practically a gift. I have a few more expensive amps, but the A2 is the amp I use in my office system every day. It makes for a sweet sounding single source preamp too. Like most Schiit gear, it punches well above its weight class. 

Oct 9, 2015 at 4:17 PM Post #7,987 of 153,436

If the A2 is that good ( I know its as good or better that the finest Electronics I ever sold or represented ) why on Earth do we need to spend $38,000 on a Pass Pre? as the High End Press and Anthony Cordesman suggest?

Tony in Michigan

ps.  It is a "Gift", thank you Schiit ( it was a great xmas stocking-stuffer 2 Decembers ago ) 

Oct 9, 2015 at 4:44 PM Post #7,988 of 153,436
If the A2 is that good ( I know its as good or better that the finest Electronics I ever sold or represented ) why on Earth do we need to spend $38,000 on a Pass Pre? as the High End Press and Anthony Cordesman suggest?

I wonder the same thing all the time. I keep getting uptrade-itus when looking at cool new equipment that people gush over, but then I plug my LCD-2 into my A2 and after about an hour I close down all of those shops and spec sheets and just enjoy the bliss. I ordered a new cable that costs almost as much as my A2 and I don't care at all. The A2 is worth it.

Oct 9, 2015 at 6:32 PM Post #7,989 of 153,436

Hopefully most are long past needing a great review to know that the Asgard 2 is so good for the money that it's practically a gift. I have a few more expensive amps, but the A2 is the amp I use in my office system every day. It makes for a sweet sounding single source preamp too. Like most Schiit gear, it punches well above its weight class.

The Asgard 2 is entirely under appreciated - even here at head-fi.  My only (very) minor complaint is that the volume knob is a finger warmer, and the whole thing is a burrito warmer.  Yes, I know, Class A is hot.  Seriously, a brilliant amp.  Had one, sold it, considering gearing back up with a BiFrost MB and an A2 or Lyr2 in a "while".  I've got a non-Schiit electronics detour and an Ether C to try out first.

Tony in Michigan

ps.  It is a "Gift", thank you Schiit ( it was a great xmas stocking-stuffer 2 Decembers ago )

Maybe because there are people for whom the same amp is better at $38,000 with a machined aluminum box than it is at $250 with a bent steel box.  Oh, and dude - big stocking!  (oh, and I mean dude in the good way.)

Oct 9, 2015 at 6:43 PM Post #7,990 of 153,436

Tony in Michigan

It's no different than wine.  If you rave about something really expensive, most folks will not have had the chance to try it themselves so how can they argue with you?  And those who have tried it don't want to appear stupid by arguing with a self-proclaimed expert for fear of making themselves seem like they don't know what they are talking about. 

Oct 9, 2015 at 6:48 PM Post #7,991 of 153,436
  It's no different than wine.  If you rave about something really expensive, most folks will not have had the chance to try it themselves so how can they argue with you?  And those who have tried it don't want to appear stupid by arguing with a self-proclaimed expert for fear of making themselves seem like they don't know what they are talking about.

True that.  I had a buddy in the 80's that was well on his way to Master Sommlier status - this when $60 retail was a bunch of money for a bottle of wine.  His contention went like this - "Any A-hole can spend $60 and get a good bottle of wine.  The challenge is spending $10 and getting a good bottle of wine."  I'm begining to think audio is indeed kinda like wine.

Oct 9, 2015 at 7:12 PM Post #7,992 of 153,436
Let's do a what-if.

What if someone else wants to get in on the multibit action? What options do they have?

1. Use one of four moribund multibit audio chips (AD1851, 1856, 1866, PCM1704). Which are either 16-bit or expensive. All need external digital filters, too.
2. Use discrete resistor ladders, like some manufacturers. Terrifyingly expensive.

So, the think point is this: who has the resources to develop a new platform? Yes, there are other companies that can do this, but they're rather thin on the ground in audio.

And, in the companies that have the resources to develop a new multibit platform, are there any that haven't committed entirely to the lockstep "higher bit rates and single-bit conversion is all" camp? 

You sound pretty confident. I understand some of the press wants to ignore what is going on because Schiit is disrupting the system and embarrassing other products because you don't play their game. However, I am most certain that other manufacturers are taking notice.

Your "What if" senarios are a very real thing as Schiit was once a "What if" company. Big companies have big resources and chip companies have even bigger resources. It could be a revolution, it could not. It could start copycat false claims in positioning, it could not. Any which way, you guys were the first and always will be. Not that chip manufacturers are going to start new developments on what you have done. That technically would be a 4th avenue, but one that is even more highly unlikely than 1-3, but never say never.

I certainly understand not marketing when you are already busting at the seams. I am in web marketing and do a bit of PPC, I know all about it my friend. Descisons like this is what sets you apart from other startups. Having a marketing company allows you see some of the sucess and failures of others and allows you to dial in your own common sense doesn't it? Matter of fact, that might make a good chapter - what you've learned from other companies by doing their marketing. You can keep the companies anonymous of course.

I am just still excited. I hope know you don't mention new product developments, but I hope your'e working on an even more affordable MB solution. :)

Oct 9, 2015 at 8:10 PM Post #7,993 of 153,436
Yep...had a reel-to-reel and a nice cassette unit as well. R to R was definitely good for parties and cassettes for the car. That said, I still prefer a digital music player's shuffle function (random or playlist) for this.

On the other hand, when I was 'actively' listening at home, the R to R tape didn't cut it for me due to lack of song choice flexibility. I'd often listen to an album side, or worse yet, a particular song and that would influence the choice of my next album or song...just a pain! :wink:

Ah, yes, reel-to-reel at 15ips. Very fond memories of good sound.

Oct 9, 2015 at 8:52 PM Post #7,994 of 153,436

Ah, yes, reel-to-reel at 15ips. Very fond memories of good sound.

I started listening to music seriously in 1986.  I was in 9th grade.  I had music on 8 track, cassette, vinyl and then CD.  I never experienced reel-to-reel   My only memories of reel-to-reel were my band director recording our concerts lives using his fancy reel-to-reel recorder!

Oct 9, 2015 at 8:54 PM Post #7,995 of 153,436

Let's do a what-if.

Even Dr. Dre could not evade the Borg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back