Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Mar 20, 2021 at 4:29 AM Post #73,726 of 151,243
Ohhh, the many lifetimes of ski lines on that wonderful shot :L3000:
Yeah...have a nephew who lives in MT and loves it! He leads a great life -- owns a coffee shop, rock climbs in summer, and skis all winter; well actually snowboards...which I don't hold against him!

Mar 20, 2021 at 4:42 AM Post #73,727 of 151,243
hope it is Aegirius :robot:

Mar 20, 2021 at 9:54 AM Post #73,728 of 151,243
Conventional wisdom holds that DACs require "warming up" for best performance, especially multi-bit DACs like my BF2. Can someone explain this? I seem to recall the claim that temperature affects the crystal(s) for the clock(s), or something like that. I've heard the suggestion that a DAC run 24/7, and that there can be some benefit to hours or even days of operation after a "cold start". What is the physics behind this? Does it matter if my room is 65 degrees F, or 75, or 85? Is there an optimal operating temperature higher than normal ambient room temperature? Is there a temperature threshold beyond which performance degrades? Should I stack my BF2 on top of my Jot to warm it up? I've tried to give all my components a chance to "warm up" prior to an (all too infrequent) dedicated listening session, and I don't choose to have my rig running 24/7.

I have a Bifrost Multibit and Modi Multibit and I leave them both on 24/7. The DA converter chips in the multibit DACs seem to benefit (meaning sound better - at least to my ears) when they are at their operating temperature. To my ears the treble sounds off and the stereo perspective sounds 'messy' when you start them cold.

Mar 20, 2021 at 10:00 AM Post #73,729 of 151,243
Quick update: production has started in Corpus Christi, Texas. That's a few days ahead of plan. It also means I need to update the website: "Built in California and Texas!"

This should--within a few weeks--end the backorders on Modi and Magni (and other products as they are added), and allow us to double or triple production of speaker amps (once heatsinks come in next week.)

And a new product announcement next week...

All good. Just busy.

I'm coming for my URD!!!

pvbo5j.jpg

Mar 20, 2021 at 10:07 AM Post #73,730 of 151,243
BOP shops are fun, started out in one. Gary Works is a hole though, although I am sure it used to be a lot better. And it is huge even for an integrated.
When he started at Gary Works, they were running 14 blast furnaces. When he retired, they were running four. Steel production had moved to other countries.

Mar 20, 2021 at 10:07 AM Post #73,731 of 151,243
Mar 20, 2021 at 2:03 PM Post #73,733 of 151,243
Mar 20, 2021 at 2:05 PM Post #73,734 of 151,243
I get to layover in Bozeman 10-20 times per year and it's one of my favorite places to go. Don't let Gumby fool ya, summers there are beautiful. He's probably just tired of Texans and Californians moving there, as he should be.

BZN in the summer if fantastically green.

BZN.jpg
Let's NOT go there...

Mar 20, 2021 at 2:50 PM Post #73,735 of 151,243
Conventional wisdom holds that DACs require "warming up" for best performance, especially multi-bit DACs like my BF2. Can someone explain this? I seem to recall the claim that temperature affects the crystal(s) for the clock(s), or something like that. I've heard the suggestion that a DAC run 24/7, and that there can be some benefit to hours or even days of operation after a "cold start". What is the physics behind this? Does it matter if my room is 65 degrees F, or 75, or 85? Is there an optimal operating temperature higher than normal ambient room temperature? Is there a temperature threshold beyond which performance degrades? Should I stack my BF2 on top of my Jot to warm it up? I've tried to give all my components a chance to "warm up" prior to an (all too infrequent) dedicated listening session, and I don't choose to have my rig running 24/7.
I'm not a EE nor do I play one on TV, so take what I am about to say with a huge block of salt!

I clearly don't remember if Schiit's multibit DACs are considered an R2R-style of DAC or not, but a while back I found an explanation of what an "R-2R" DAC is and leaving the equipment on and warmed up definitely made sense. In essence, in a digital-to-analog converter, each higher order bit adds a smaller and smaller voltage increment to each sample to recreate the voltage that was originally measured in that sample by an analog-to-digital converter. To generate that voltage, you need a voltage divider network consisting of a resistor of value R and another of value 2R. Those resistors need to be of increasingly smaller values and of increasingly greater precision to keep those resistances constant. All resistors will change value with temperature and that change is usually measured in parts-per-million. Resistors with lower temperature constants (smaller PPM) are more expensive because they're more difficult to make. So, you strike a balance between what's economical and what works satisfactorily.

What does all of this have to do with keeping your DAC turned on or not? Well, keeping it turned on allows all of the circuits within the DAC to be warmed up to a stable temperature. This stable temperature keeps temperature sensitive components at a stable value that should be close to how the unit was originally built and calibrated, thus giving you the best performance. Running your DAC right after you take it out of the box that UPS just delivered in the middle of winter probably will cause it to sound a little bit off. It probably will sound a lot better after you've given it a chance to warm up for 30 minutes. There are those who say a DAC has to be on for a week for it to sound optimal. That's their call. I, however, am skeptical because unless your DAC resides inside a perfect heatsink that pulls all heat away and never allows it to warm up, 30 minutes should be good enough to get all of those components up to operating temperature. But what do I know? I can't hear a difference between my Bifrost D/S and my Bifrost MB. I think they both sound wonderful with my equipment and am happy to have them.

I'd say do whatever you feel comfortable with and maybe do some experimentation. Play a handful of songs you're comfortable with using your system cold and then again after it's had a chance to warm up for x minutes and see if YOU can tell a difference. If you can't tell any difference, turn everything off when you're done enjoying your Schiit and save a few Watts of power. If you can, then, it's up to you whether you want to leave it on all the time or just wait for it to warm up.

And finally, we're currently getting some nice heavy, wet snow. It's covering the roofs, cars, grass, etc. but not the pavement...yet. Gotta love springtime!

Mar 20, 2021 at 3:17 PM Post #73,736 of 151,243
Hold on, isn't that the official State smell of Houston?

I know that smell. I think I have some Houston essential oil around here to rub my very expensive, very uncomfortable cowboy boots with. One does want to smell native.

Never wear my cowboy boots. I'm 6'3, so I have no need for male high heels.

I remember coming back to Calgary in one of our family visits during my teens (it was the Urban Cowboy era, I suspect) and walking into Lammle’s Western Wear only to see one of those pyramids of cans at the front door. I was curious and took a look at one - “Genuine Ranch Odour”, an Alberta product. Apparently some enterprising rancher had decided to package up a mixture of cow and horse shiit and sell it to gullible city folk to smear on their boots. One of the few items I wish I had in my archives - or at least a photo of it. But unfortunately no smart phones back then... :wink:

Mar 20, 2021 at 3:32 PM Post #73,737 of 151,243
I spent what felt like a full decade (late 1993-mid 1995) living in Beaumont/Port Arthur and the stench still haunts me.

Never let the truth get in the way of a good story. :beerchug:

My wife lived in Indonesia when she was 16-17 and the stories of the locals traveling on the airlines with bags full of durian are epic nauseating. She has no sympathy for me living in SE Texas.

I lived in Sumatra for a while.

Those stories are true.

Mar 20, 2021 at 6:26 PM Post #73,738 of 151,243
And finally, we're currently getting some nice heavy, wet snow. It's covering the roofs, cars, grass, etc. but not the pavement...yet. Gotta love springtime!
I just got through mowing my lawn. I hate you. :laughing:

Mar 20, 2021 at 7:08 PM Post #73,739 of 151,243
I just got through mowing my lawn. I hate you. :laughing:

Huh. I seem to remember that you NC folks use grass clippings and dead leaves to marinate your meat before smoking it with diesel exhaust.

I figured that fresh grass would be preferable to old but what do I know?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back