Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Mar 19, 2021 at 9:52 PM Post #73,711 of 149,326
Looks very nice, and I love that wood!

But just in case you didn't notice, there's a sewer vent pipe sticking up through it. Perhaps if you pack some sorbothane around the base it'll minimize the sonic interference. :smile:
Yeah, going out tomorrow to work on that sewer pipe. No need to worry about it, it's been safely capped with a telescope and computerized mount for six years. :dt880smile:

Mar 19, 2021 at 9:57 PM Post #73,712 of 149,326
Nice work! Just had a carrying handle and use that portable power thing people were talking about a page or 10 ago and wow!

Mar 19, 2021 at 10:33 PM Post #73,714 of 149,326
Quick update: production has started in Corpus Christi, Texas. That's a few days ahead of plan. It also means I need to update the website: "Built in California and Texas!"

This should--within a few weeks--end the backorders on Modi and Magni (and other products as they are added), and allow us to double or triple production of speaker amps (once heatsinks come in next week.)

And a new product announcement next week...

All good. Just busy.

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Mar 19, 2021 at 10:36 PM Post #73,715 of 149,326
I'd move to MT. WY, too. I'd have Schiit in every room. The only way I'd be able to survive the winters they get there.

Idaho is on my list, too. Boise is on my list of top 10 places to live when I retire.

However, word on the street is that silicon valley people are moving there in droves and I probably won't be able to afford it when I retire. :rolling_eyes:

Mar 19, 2021 at 10:38 PM Post #73,716 of 149,326
I get to layover in Bozeman 10-20 times per year and it's one of my favorite places to go. Don't let Gumby fool ya, summers there are beautiful. He's probably just tired of Texans and Californians moving there, as he should be.

BZN in the summer if fantastically green.
I hate to quote myself but BZN isn't too shabby in the winter, either. This was taken last Saturday:

BigSky.png

Last edited:
Mar 19, 2021 at 11:35 PM Post #73,717 of 149,326
Mar 19, 2021 at 11:38 PM Post #73,718 of 149,326
Mar 20, 2021 at 12:14 AM Post #73,719 of 149,326
Conventional wisdom holds that DACs require "warming up" for best performance, especially multi-bit DACs like my BF2. Can someone explain this? I seem to recall the claim that temperature affects the crystal(s) for the clock(s), or something like that. I've heard the suggestion that a DAC run 24/7, and that there can be some benefit to hours or even days of operation after a "cold start". What is the physics behind this? Does it matter if my room is 65 degrees F, or 75, or 85? Is there an optimal operating temperature higher than normal ambient room temperature? Is there a temperature threshold beyond which performance degrades? Should I stack my BF2 on top of my Jot to warm it up? I've tried to give all my components a chance to "warm up" prior to an (all too infrequent) dedicated listening session, and I don't choose to have my rig running 24/7.

Mar 20, 2021 at 12:28 AM Post #73,720 of 149,326
Conventional wisdom holds that DACs require "warming up" for best performance, especially multi-bit DACs like my BF2. Can someone explain this? I seem to recall the claim that temperature affects the crystal(s) for the clock(s), or something like that. I've heard the suggestion that a DAC run 24/7, and that there can be some benefit to hours or even days of operation after a "cold start". What is the physics behind this? Does it matter if my room is 65 degrees F, or 75, or 85? Is there an optimal operating temperature higher than normal ambient room temperature? Is there a temperature threshold beyond which performance degrades? Should I stack my BF2 on top of my Jot to warm it up? I've tried to give all my components a chance to "warm up" prior to an (all too infrequent) dedicated listening session, and I don't choose to have my rig running 24/7.

My foray into trying to figure this out, led back to a post from Mike about the ADXXXX chips "needing some time to settle into their INL spec".

From glancing through the datasheet, my understanding is that the chip's linearity specs are measured at a certain set of standard test conditions (theoretical normal operating conditions)...therefore, the sound could change between initial cold power-on and a steady-state condition.

That being said, as with so many things in this hobby, it really comes down to whether you personally can hear a difference in your particular setup when it comes to warm-up times.

To be honest, I havent done any hardcore testing to see if I can tell a warm-up difference on my multibit Schiit...maybe some day when I have more free time. Obviously people have a wide range of opinions on this topic...and just to be a total lemming, I try to give my Yggdrasil a couple hours and Bifrost 2 an hour before a focused listening session.

Mar 20, 2021 at 1:17 AM Post #73,721 of 149,326
I keep my Bifrost MB on all the time - I read somewhere that it's recommended. I also have a Moon NEO 230HAD dac/amp where the manual recommends leaving it powered on all the time.
Going back to the 70's, I had a Dynaco kit preamp (solid state) that stayed on even when you switched it "off", to keep a consistent thermal environment for the transistors. There was a option to wire it differently for energy conservation purists.

Mar 20, 2021 at 1:22 AM Post #73,722 of 149,326

like to the other post mentioned, the audibility of the warmup varies by the user, ancillary hardware, source material. When the unit has been off for say a day or more, turn it on and listen to some familiar music without the warm-up. if it sounds strange to you, then retry after say 30 mins or 1 hour.

it does not matter if the room is 65, 75 or 85, as after a prolonged period of power-on, the BF2 will always reach a steady-state temperature of say 15 degrees above the room temperature (e.g. BF2 might reach 80F in a 65F room, 100F in a 85F room). If the room is very hot, say 110F, that will shorten the lifespan of the capacitors, but the other components should be less sensitive to the higher ambient room temperature.

When I first got my BF1 (multibit OG), on unboxing, the unit was colder than normal room temp (likely sitting in a UPS track/ unheated warehouse overnight) but I plugged it in for a quick listen, and the sound was a bit muddy / noisy / unnatural. I kept it powered up, let it sit for a few hours, and by then it sounded more normal. Since then, I have kept it powered up 24/7.

In my case, 6 yrs total warranty (4 yrs from Schiit, plus another extended 2 yrs from the credit card), so Im not concerned about shortening the useful life by running it 24/7. If it fails shortly after that, by then there will be another DAC of equal or better performance in that price range (or cheaper) to replace it.

Mar 20, 2021 at 3:03 AM Post #73,723 of 149,326
I recall that the "warm-up" is more to do with electrical stability rather than literally temperature stability, no?

For reference, while the sound of my Modi Multibit using the initial A1 firmware chip was indeed more sterile without such warm-up, when I upgraded to the A2 firmware and used the Eitr, I cannot perceive any difference whether there is such warm-up time or not.

To put it another way, the A2 firmware and/or the Eitr helped to reduce the need for the warm-up for my Modi Multibit

Mar 20, 2021 at 3:04 AM Post #73,724 of 149,326
Quick update: production has started in Corpus Christi, Texas. That's a few days ahead of plan. It also means I need to update the website: "Built in California and Texas!"

This should--within a few weeks--end the backorders on Modi and Magni (and other products as they are added), and allow us to double or triple production of speaker amps (once heatsinks come in next week.)

And a new product announcement next week...

All good. Just busy.

Ah, maybe this explains the recent surge of goods available in the Clearance section :p

Will be looking forward to the new product this week too!

Take care Jason and team!

Mar 20, 2021 at 3:17 AM Post #73,725 of 149,326
Ah, maybe this explains the recent surge of goods available in the Clearance section :p

Will be looking forward to the new product this week too!

Take care Jason and team!
yes, b-stock surge is related to a massive cleanup of the warehouse as part of the TX expansion (inventory of parts etc. used on smaller (gaming & mini) products for shipping to TX).

new product intro chapters are very interesting as they detail some of the technical development and logistical hurdles.

@Jason Stoddard glad to hear that TX is up and running. congrats to your team, esp Alex.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back