Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Mar 19, 2021 at 4:55 PM Post #73,696 of 150,868
Tubes, Curious???

received my Loki Mini+ b-stock, quick listen indicates all controls working :) will burn-in for a few days before serious listening...

Obviously, Jason and co. still very busy, especially on the mfg side...backorders continue, including Vali 2+

(added)
thought about swapping the knobs for those on magni to get ones that align at high noon while detented...nocando...magni knobs are about 2mm larger diameter.

just noticed some more b-stock Loki Mini, Mini+, Vali2... best way to avoid waiting for these to come out of backorder...

Last edited:
Mar 19, 2021 at 5:06 PM Post #73,697 of 150,868
Mar 19, 2021 at 5:53 PM Post #73,698 of 150,868
OTOH, being polite to avoid being murdered is not really politeness.
It is to the person you're being polite to: he has no idea what's going on in your head. Of course, that still might not save you, as @US Blues point out.

My dad was a metallurgical engineer and worked at US Steel Gary Works. He took us on a tour of the BOP shop when I was in HS. Scared the crap out of me. That's why I decided to go into plastics :)
My dad taking us to job-sites is one of the reasons I became an engineer. I still remember one Saturday he was supervising a crew lifting an air handler to the roof of a building he was building. With a helicopter. How cool is that for an eight year old to see? All the refineries and chemical plants down here used to host Family Day when everyone got to come out and see where Dad worked (not too many Moms in the plants then). By the time I started that tradition had gone by the wayside. I did get to have my kids out to watch a crane crew I was working with lift a couple of 50 ton skids off their over-the-road trucks and onto trucks which could navigate our plant. The facility guards really went out of their for them, too: gave them hard hats and fire retardant clothes and safety glasses. My six year old daughter and three year old son looked really cute standing with their faces pressed up to the chain link fence with their fingers in the holes (I mean who doesn't do that?) and their Nomex lab coats drooping all the way to their ankles. They've only got to see where I work one other time, but that's another story. That story ends with an arrest (not me).

When I was in grade school, Anaconda Copper and Mining had a smelter in Great Falls and my class was given a tour of the facility. They showed us huge ingots of electrolytically refined copper and huge vessels of molten copper from after the refining. I still remember seeing those green flames coming from the crucibles as they poured the copper! Was totally bummed when they shut down the refinery in the early 80's and demolished the landmark smokestack in my senior year of high school in 1983.
D'Anconia Copper?

Mar 19, 2021 at 5:57 PM Post #73,699 of 150,868
Fresh durian is delicious. It stinks but it tastes great.
Odd, since the what you taste is actually something like 80% smell...

Mar 19, 2021 at 5:59 PM Post #73,700 of 150,868
Chillin here after a bathroom tile re-do...gosh I am sore!!! ha!!

Listening with my Bifrost 2 into the new Jot 2 and with Meze Emperyeans SE, High gain and its absolutely superb!

Ah life is good!!

Alex....and I can eat vinegar base bcue all day long .....

Coincidence! I spent last Saturday installing a new floor in my "other hobby den". My knees still haven't recovered.

210313 doorway small.jpg
I just came home and crashed, no Schiit for me that evening. Sunday, though...

Last edited:
Mar 19, 2021 at 7:02 PM Post #73,701 of 150,868
Coincidence! I spent last Saturday installing a new floor in my "other hobby den". My knees still haven't recovered.

210313 doorway small.jpg
I just came home and crashed, no Schiit for me that evening. Sunday, though...
Looks very nice, and I love that wood!

But just in case you didn't notice, there's a sewer vent pipe sticking up through it. Perhaps if you pack some sorbothane around the base it'll minimize the sonic interference. :smile:

Mar 19, 2021 at 7:23 PM Post #73,702 of 150,868
Summer comes one day in August here in Bozeman. The specific day changes each year! There is an event called the Bridger Ridge Run that happens in late August where people with limited mental capacity literally run the mountain ridge tops here. The course is 20 miles long and people can take up to 10 hours to finish. I used to provide communication support via ham radio at the finish line and was up there by 4 AM to get set up. Those early mornings in the foothills could get chilly. I'd be up there in shorts, but have on the coat I use for -20 in the wintertime in the morning!

I get to layover in Bozeman 10-20 times per year and it's one of my favorite places to go. Don't let Gumby fool ya, summers there are beautiful. He's probably just tired of Texans and Californians moving there, as he should be.

BZN in the summer if fantastically green.

BZN.jpg

Last edited:
Mar 19, 2021 at 9:12 PM Post #73,704 of 150,868
My dad was a metallurgical engineer and worked at US Steel Gary Works. He took us on a tour of the BOP shop when I was in HS. Scared the crap out of me. That's why I decided to go into plastics :)
BOP shops are fun, started out in one. Gary Works is a hole though, although I am sure it used to be a lot better. And it is huge even for an integrated.
I worked in a large foundry for 13 years. We had a 20 ton melting furnace fail and dump all the molten iron on the floor. Seeing and hearing concrete explode is a scary experience. And yes we cussed out the guy that gave it a clear inspection. We started doing infrared inspections on a monthly basis.
Yep, nowadays we have all sorts of fun sensors but they are only as good as the maintenance on them and the person watching them. Thankfully the few burn throughs I have dealt with were up in the slag line so not a lot came out, and it was only slag for what spilled.
It is to the person you're being polite to: he has no idea what's going on in your head. Of course, that still might not save you, as @US Blues point out.

My dad taking us to job-sites is one of the reasons I became an engineer. I still remember one Saturday he was supervising a crew lifting an air handler to the roof of a building he was building. With a helicopter. How cool is that for an eight year old to see? All the refineries and chemical plants down here used to host Family Day when everyone got to come out and see where Dad worked (not too many Moms in the plants then). By the time I started that tradition had gone by the wayside. I did get to have my kids out to watch a crane crew I was working with lift a couple of 50 ton skids off their over-the-road trucks and onto trucks which could navigate our plant. The facility guards really went out of their for them, too: gave them hard hats and fire retardant clothes and safety glasses. My six year old daughter and three year old son looked really cute standing with their faces pressed up to the chain link fence with their fingers in the holes (I mean who doesn't do that?) and their Nomex lab coats drooping all the way to their ankles. They've only got to see where I work one other time, but that's another story. That story ends with an arrest (not me).

D'Anconia Copper?
Yep, I have been at a couple places that had family days, iirc my current company does (and I know we are making sure we have a safe tour route for my current company). The one I liked best was the first family day. One of the shift supervisors had his kid go on the tour and got to see the cast floor at the caster with a ladle change - and seeing this 1st grader in a hard hat and FR's he was swimming in (father was carrying him so he couldn't run off) with a look of wonder in his eyes was neat.

Mar 19, 2021 at 9:27 PM Post #73,706 of 150,868
In my world a foundry is a fab that makes chips on contract for other companies. No need for 20-ton hoists but plenty of robots. :)
We have robots too! Fancy 6 axis robot arms with all sorts of tool heads the machine swaps automatically - oxygen lances, samplers, refractory tools, and so on. So what if it needs aluminum clothes to protect it from the sparks and splashes?

Mar 19, 2021 at 9:42 PM Post #73,707 of 150,868
Took this pic in 2003 of one of the last steel mills in Cleveland before it was shut down.

(Edit: it’s apparently up and running after being shut a couple of times over the years)
275C1139-1B79-4DA9-B9EA-0487E19FAE12.jpeg

Last edited:
Mar 19, 2021 at 9:47 PM Post #73,709 of 150,868
I get to layover in Bozeman 10-20 times per year and it's one of my favorite places to go. Don't let Gumby fool ya, summers there are beautiful. He's probably just tired of Texans and Californians moving there, as he should be.

BZN in the summer if fantastically green.

BZN.jpg
I'd move to MT. WY, too. I'd have Schiit in every room. The only way I'd be able to survive the winters they get there.

Mar 19, 2021 at 9:51 PM Post #73,710 of 150,868
But ClevelandCliffs Cleveland is still running? Used to be ArcelorMittal, before that LTV, before that I don't know. Pretty blast furnace photo too.
I was about to update my post - apparently it’s running again. Always good to see that steel is still not entirely history in Cleveland

Users who are viewing this thread

Back