Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Mar 20, 2021 at 11:41 PM Post #73,756 of 151,179
Warning!! Thread Hijack in Progress!!

Ok, so I have a Bifrost MB with USB5 (or whatever the pre-current version is called). I had been running it under Win7 using Schiit's legacy USB drivers without issue. Until the OS finally became corrupted enough to force me to wipe the HDD, install a SSD, and install Win10. The Bifrost connected right up and works. However, I'm not too fond of the result. Even though I've told the windoze driver to allow exclusive mode, I don't think it's making any difference. Just to confirm the small sliver of sanity I have left has not escaped me, I just played several different songs using Foobar 2000 that were 16-bit or 24-bit encoded with 44k, 48k, and 96k bitrates and not once did I hear any of the Bifrost's relays click. I do have the default format set to 24-bit / 192k in the device properties.

To my limited intelligence, it appears that the computer is upconverting everything from Foobar before sending it out to the Bifrost. Previously with Win7, the Schiit drivers gave me the option of running in ASIO mode and in that mode, the Bifrost was definitely seeing different bitstreams that would correlate to the different bitrates and word sizes of the various songs.

My question to the Collective: Am I wasting my time forcing an installation of the old Schiit drivers in an attempt to regain ASIO mode? Could I screw up something that is currently not broken (except in my mind)? I know for a fact that my ears will not hear any difference in sound quality, real or not, but my brain will still tell me it's not "bit perfect" so it's flawed.

Should I just tell my brain to shut up and enjoy the music? Thanks all!
I'm not familiar with Foobar, but make sure you are using Windows Audio Session API (WASAPI) Exclusive mode (probably in Foobar settings somewhere). There is also WASAPI Shared, which still passes through the mixer and Windows will convert to the default output format listed. I recently was looking into this for iTunes, the UI text for the WASAPI option implies it is WASAPI exclusive (says you won't here system sounds), but it is in fact shared (you do hear system sounds). The easiest way to test is to use the windows volume control. If your audio player is using WASAPI exclusive, volume control won't change actual volume, you won't here windows beeps and boops. Only thing volume control will do is mute when you take it to 0.

Edit: I hadn't realized this post was a week old as someone else recently replied to it, and looks like you may have got it sorted out.

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2021 at 11:47 PM Post #73,757 of 151,179
Oh, and bcowen, I'll buy you TX BBQ at Nueces Brewing anytime. Or CA tri-tip, if you want to blow up your head. Lotsa good BBQ all over the place (some of the best BBQ I had was in Tokyo), no need to crap on other interpretations of it.
The crapping has been purely in jest I hope you know, but since you just added this:

"released to production...Folkvangr (10 tube headphone amp)..."

I seem to have instantly lost interest in anything else. Like really anything. :laughing:

Mar 21, 2021 at 12:00 AM Post #73,758 of 151,179
The crapping has been purely in jest I hope you know, but since you just added this:

"released to production...Folkvangr (10 tube headphone amp)..."

I seem to have instantly lost interest in anything else. Like really anything. :laughing:
This! It should be a hell of an amp!

Mar 21, 2021 at 12:08 AM Post #73,759 of 151,179
Another update: gonna be a crazy year. Tyr (AKA biggus ampius) released to production, as well as Loki Max and Folkvangr (10 tube headphone amp), and another one on the inexpensive end of things, and Urd beta now in production, and a couple other things. Plus next week. And a couple weeks after that.

Buckle. The. ****. Up.

(Standard disclaimers apply: things may be delayed due to my incompetence/supply chain/aliens/more COVIDs/meteors or other end-of-the-world scenarios, whatever.)
looks like you need to clone Alex...

Last edited:
Mar 21, 2021 at 12:29 AM Post #73,760 of 151,179
Another update: gonna be a crazy year. Tyr (AKA biggus ampius) released to production, as well as Loki Max and Folkvangr (10 tube headphone amp), and another one on the inexpensive end of things, and Urd beta now in production, and a couple other things. Plus next week. And a couple weeks after that.

Buckle. The. ****. Up.

(Standard disclaimers apply: things may be delayed due to my incompetence/supply chain/aliens/more COVIDs/meteors or other end-of-the-world scenarios, whatever.)
Thanks for the advance notice. Gives me time to reorganize my Schiit pile.

Mar 21, 2021 at 2:13 AM Post #73,762 of 151,179

Buckle. The. ****. Up.

Well THAT got my attention! :beerchug:

Mar 21, 2021 at 3:12 AM Post #73,764 of 151,179

Buckle. The. ****. Up.

Finally, a competitor to the legendary Sennhieser Orpheus HE-1! This is going to be exciting!

Mar 21, 2021 at 3:59 AM Post #73,765 of 151,179
Anyone tried Tacima/Isotek/Furman's power conditioners with Schiit products? Right now I am using a Belkin Gold series surge protector but there seems to be some interference issue with my Schiit Eitr

I think it's time for me to bite the bullet and go for these, but I am unsure how well these can help my Schiit products

Mar 21, 2021 at 4:30 AM Post #73,766 of 151,179
Oh, and bcowen, I'll buy you TX BBQ at Nueces Brewing anytime. Or CA tri-tip, if you want to blow up your head. Lotsa good BBQ all over the place (some of the best BBQ I had was in Tokyo), no need to crap on other interpretations of it.
Me too! And in Aviano Italy.
Cheers! :beerchug:
-HK sends

Mar 21, 2021 at 4:31 AM Post #73,767 of 151,179

Buckle. The. ****. Up.

And I just received my MB Jotunheim 2 and after some burn in I am so happy with the sound (together with my Aeon 2 closed). But then, you never can have enough Schiit in the house.....

Mar 21, 2021 at 4:34 AM Post #73,768 of 151,179
Anyone tried Tacima/Isotek/Furman's power conditioners with Schiit products? Right now I am using a Belkin Gold series surge protector but there seems to be some interference issue with my Schiit Eitr

I think it's time for me to bite the bullet and go for these, but I am unsure how well these can help my Schiit products
I use a Cyberpower 1500VA UPS. I don't know if it makes the power any cleaner, but it gives me a chance to safely shut off my Schiit if/when the power goes out.
-HK sends

Mar 21, 2021 at 4:52 AM Post #73,770 of 151,179
That brand of UPS isn't sold here unfortunately; heard good things about this though (for protecting computers)
I figured if it could protect my computer, it should be able to protect my audio. Unconventional maybe, but I haven't noticed any adverse effect on the sound.
-HK sends

Users who are viewing this thread

Back