Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Feb 12, 2021 at 7:06 PM Post #71,628 of 152,141
Yeah, I find that most Pink Floyd fans, if you look deep down, are really Roger Waters fans. Can you imagine how conflicted they feel?

Nobody I have recommended The Pros and Cons of Hitchhiking by Roger Waters even bothered to listen to it.

Can confirm. I consider anything after The Final Cut to not really be Pink Floyd. Though The Endless River was pretty nice.

Feb 12, 2021 at 7:32 PM Post #71,629 of 152,141
Can confirm. I consider anything after The Final Cut to not really be Pink Floyd. Though The Endless River was pretty nice.

I like all of their later albums starting with Meddle, except for The Final Cut, which is too much of an unedited Roger Waters therapy session for me.

Feb 12, 2021 at 9:26 PM Post #71,631 of 152,141

I'm not too fond of Pink Floyd either.

Well I'll have to agree to disagree.
While I'm on the fence about the Dead - I take them tune by tune, I'm a very hard core Pink Floyd fan girl.
And I enjoy(ed) psychedelics, too. Ah, the 80's. They were fun. Well, what I remember of them, anyway.

Feb 12, 2021 at 9:26 PM Post #71,632 of 152,141
I've bugged it with support. Who asked me if I had rebooted to fix it. My report included screen shots of the uptime for the NUC and for Core, 15 and 7 secs respectively.

I know support can be a crap job, but I despair sometimes........

I spent a lot of time supporting software for home users in the 90's, when running PCs at home was usually fraught for the user unless they were a genuine PC geek who understood how to configure the system via arcane command lines (autoexec.bay, config.sys anyone?). Try walking folks through fixing things when there was basically no internet, no screen sharing etc. I moved into a new role, and many of the staff in the support centre had come out of a Microsoft course of some description, and thought they knew it all. Their knowledge and the scripting provided for the support calls would carry the day - except it didn't because they really didn't actually understand what was happening at a system level and didn't have the experience to pull together a solution. "Have you rebooted the system?" was the first thing they asked. To this day it still happens, along with not reading what was provided, or listening to what was said. Yes, rebooting often solves a nagging issue, but it never establishes the root cause and so the problem invariably reappears.

I feel your despair.

Feb 12, 2021 at 10:50 PM Post #71,633 of 152,141
Good thing about this pandemic is that I get to “align” my travel budget to my audiophile budget.
Just waiting for the Urd and Loki++ to come out

Feb 13, 2021 at 12:25 AM Post #71,634 of 152,141
I spent a lot of time supporting software for home users in the 90's, when running PCs at home was usually fraught for the user unless they were a genuine PC geek who understood how to configure the system via arcane command lines (autoexec.bay, config.sys anyone?). Try walking folks through fixing things when there was basically no internet, no screen sharing etc. I moved into a new role, and many of the staff in the support centre had come out of a Microsoft course of some description, and thought they knew it all. Their knowledge and the scripting provided for the support calls would carry the day - except it didn't because they really didn't actually understand what was happening at a system level and didn't have the experience to pull together a solution. "Have you rebooted the system?" was the first thing they asked. To this day it still happens, along with not reading what was provided, or listening to what was said. Yes, rebooting often solves a nagging issue, but it never establishes the root cause and so the problem invariably reappears.

I feel your despair.
The way I normally characterize this is that "computers are sold like they are toasters" but they really aren't. On the other hand, it keeps some of us gainfully employed..

Feb 13, 2021 at 12:52 AM Post #71,635 of 152,141
What I really love is making it very clear that the computer or printer or router was power cycled and still having IT respond back with that reccomendation anyway.

The IT Crowd is magic, as is the UKs Coupling.

I wonder if Mr Stoddard is working on a new dongle. He said that enclosure was tiny.

Im loving the versatility of Ragnarok. I ought to sell Vidar, Saga, Asgard 2, Bifrost 4490 and my Marantz integrated to buy a second Rag, in black.

Welp, I'm officially a bourbon and scotch geek..

I bought a bottle of Old Forester 1920 last night, wife opened it tonight, after a long day of work.

It's super amazing.

On the nose you smell oak and banana with some sweetness.

When you sip, it starts out tasting like ripe banana with carmel and butter. Maybe buttered banana bread would be a good way to say it. Tip o the tongue also has some other fresh & sweet taste that I cant quite place.

Mid palate you get some cinnamon and pepper. The finish is a spicy, cinammony, oak that lingers quite a while.

All the while it has this sweet, spicy, buttery mouthfeel, but it isn't thin and it isnt thick.

Honestly, I've never tasted anything quite like it before..

Took me over an hour to sip an ounce. 115 proof.

Easily the most complex bourbon
I have in house.

Has anyone ever played around with speakers out of a single corner?

Spent the week with my maggies sharing the same corner (left corner) pointing at my desk on the right wall. So the way this worked the outer edge of the maggies were both about a foot from a wall. They were about 5 feet apart from each other and the inner edges were about 5 feet from the corner.

It was suprisingly nice when seated at my desk.

Last edited:
Feb 13, 2021 at 8:16 AM Post #71,636 of 152,141
Yeah, I find that most Pink Floyd fans, if you look deep down, are really Roger Waters fans. Can you imagine how conflicted they feel?

Nobody I have recommended The Pros and Cons of Hitchhiking by Roger Waters even bothered to listen to it.
I like The Pros and Cons of Hitchhiking, at least some of the tracks. I don't own Radio Chaos, but I like about half of Amused to Death a lot (especially the songs Jeff Beck plays). I have to agree with @Odin412 in that I noticed Roger Waters to be kind of a thematic one-trick pony after I'd heard The Final Cut. That got kind of dull.

I'm not a huge fan of Pink Floyd's early music, but I like their big hits: Dark Side of the Moon, Wish You Were Here, The Wall. I love the sound they achieved, and I like Gilmour's guitar playing. I like other songs as well, but song-by-song rather than album-by-album. Works is a good disc for me: I can have "One of These Days" without having to have the rest of Meddle, and "Set the Controls for the Heart of the Sun" and "Several Species of Small Furry Animals Gathered Together in a Cave and Grooving with a Pict" (longest song title ever?). I still have to put up with "Arnold Layne", though ("skip" button to the rescue). Actually, my kids and I used to play a version of "bucking bronco" while listening to "One of These Days". I'm not fit enough for that anymore (and they're too big for my creaking spine). :)

I still like David Gilmour's eponymous solo project, recommended to me in college- by that record store owner I partied with during finals week, but not that night. His latest, Rattle That Lock, I don't listen to as much.

Perhaps I should get a copy of Animals again. Maybe listening to it through a Bifrost MB would make it sound good.

Feb 13, 2021 at 8:45 AM Post #71,637 of 152,141

I feel your despair.

On the nose! I am vey far from a novice user - though fallible enough to be embarrassed from time to time. I've got into the habit of asking for the second line as a starter on such calls.

And of course, last night it all worked for no apparent reason. WE still have some way to go for much of our gadget collection.......

Cheers

Feb 13, 2021 at 8:57 AM Post #71,638 of 152,141
I like The Pros and Cons of Hitchhiking, at least some of the tracks. I don't own Radio Chaos, but I like about half of Amused to Death a lot (especially the songs Jeff Beck plays). I have to agree with @Odin412 in that I noticed Roger Waters to be kind of a thematic one-trick pony after I'd heard The Final Cut. That got kind of dull.

I'm not a huge fan of Pink Floyd's early music, but I like their big hits: Dark Side of the Moon, Wish You Were Here, The Wall. I love the sound they achieved, and I like Gilmour's guitar playing. I like other songs as well, but song-by-song rather than album-by-album. Works is a good disc for me: I can have "One of These Days" without having to have the rest of Meddle, and "Set the Controls for the Heart of the Sun" and "Several Species of Small Furry Animals Gathered Together in a Cave and Grooving with a Pict" (longest song title ever?). I still have to put up with "Arnold Layne", though ("skip" button to the rescue). Actually, my kids and I used to play a version of "bucking bronco" while listening to "One of These Days". I'm not fit enough for that anymore (and they're too big for my creaking spine). :)

I still like David Gilmour's eponymous solo project, recommended to me in college- by that record store owner I partied with during finals week, but not that night. His latest, Rattle That Lock, I don't listen to as much.

Perhaps I should get a copy of Animals again. Maybe listening to it through a Bifrost MB would make it sound good.
I am a huge fan of Pink Floyd, though I stopped listening to their music many years ago. I pick up where you leave off. For me, the experimental stuff is what Pink Floyd is all about. Though I admit as far as musicianship goes, their talent .. lies elsewhere.

I finally decided to splurge on the Immersion edition of the Wall (I never buy box sets, rather buy gear, but suddenly the price seemed fair at $62) and I was listening to the demos. That is Pink Floyd! The Wall that was released was tucked up for popular music fans in the format people are used to. But the soundscapes Waters was creating sounds more like Animals to me. Animals failed because they tried to make a rock and roll record instead of a Pink Floyd record. The Wall succeeded because they actually succeeded in making a rock and roll record. Songs like The Trial, Is There Anybody Out There became tthe exception instead of the main course.

The Thin Ice is produced in a very interesting way in the demos. But on the Album it's a ballad.

I think there are more people like MacDonJh than inmytaxi-type fans who want the squealing sounds.

Feb 13, 2021 at 10:29 AM Post #71,639 of 152,141
What I really love is making it very clear that the computer or printer or router was power cycled and still having IT respond back with that reccomendation anyway.
I have a degree of patience with support people. They don't know me and I don't know them and users can be "a bit imprecise" when describing a problem and what they are doing. For instance, logging out and back in is not rebooting. Turning the monitor off and back on is not rebooting. Or, as happened recently, putting a laptop in sleep mode and waking it back up, is not rebooting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back