Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Feb 13, 2021 at 10:42 AM Post #71,641 of 152,048
I have a degree of patience with support people. They don't know me and I don't know them and users can be "a bit imprecise" when describing a problem and what they are doing. For instance, logging out and back in is not rebooting. Turning the monitor off and back on is not rebooting. Or, as happened recently, putting a laptop in sleep mode and waking it back up, is not rebooting.

I work in IT for a school district. On more than one occasion I've heard support team members ask a teacher if they can put a student on the phone. :D

Feb 13, 2021 at 10:47 AM Post #71,642 of 152,048
I was never depressed enough to appreciate Pink Floyd. Angry, yes, which is why I loved Iggy and MC5 in the 60's and was turned on to punk in the 70's. But Floyd and others wallowed in too much self pity. I wanted to smack them in the face and scream get out there and DO something about it! :)

Feb 13, 2021 at 10:52 AM Post #71,643 of 152,048
I was never depressed enough to appreciate Pink Floyd. Angry, yes, which is why I loved Iggy and MC5 in the 60's and was turned on to punk in the 70's. But Floyd and others wallowed in too much self pity. I wanted to smack them in the face and scream get out there and DO something about it! :)

So, you killed Prog Rock...! :rage:

Feb 13, 2021 at 10:55 AM Post #71,644 of 152,048
So, PF could have been Steely Dan if they just stayed on their meds?? :D

Feb 13, 2021 at 10:55 AM Post #71,645 of 152,048
I work in IT for a school district. On more than one occasion I've heard support team members ask a teacher if they can put a student on the phone. :D

ROFL!

Whenever my wife has a computer problem (which is basically every time she turns one on), I get my 17 year-old to deal with it. My patience was exhausted on that a long time ago...his turn now. :sweat_smile:

Feb 13, 2021 at 11:07 AM Post #71,648 of 152,048
On second thought ...

So, PF could have been Steely Dan 'The Wiggles' if they had just stayed on their meds?? :D

OK -- I'm not a Fan(atic) of PF. I enjoy some of their tracks/albums, but it's not something that I rant and rave about. But then again, I'm primarily a jazz guy, so what do I know. :D

Last edited:
Feb 13, 2021 at 11:17 AM Post #71,649 of 152,048
Thinking about my disdain for PF in the early 70's I'm also reminded that I hate the Eagles. In 1972 as my friends walked around singing "Peaceful, Easy Feeling" and told me to just be mellow I'd scream at them, "Four Dead In Ohio!"

Feb 13, 2021 at 11:59 AM Post #71,652 of 152,048
I have a degree of patience with support people. They don't know me and I don't know them and users can be "a bit imprecise" when describing a problem and what they are doing. For instance, logging out and back in is not rebooting. Turning the monitor off and back on is not rebooting. Or, as happened recently, putting a laptop in sleep mode and waking it back up, is not rebooting.

Ahhh IT support...... a favorite story (I'm *really* aging myself here...) - Speaking on the phone, back when Floppy Drives were de rigueur; "OK go ahead and insert the MS-Dos disk into the drive, then close the door." Sounds of low fumbling as disk is inserted, suddenly phone set down on the counter, rapidly receding steps away, the sound of a slam, approaching steps.... "OK - door is closed!"

Feb 13, 2021 at 12:03 PM Post #71,653 of 152,048
Ahhh IT support...... a favorite story (I'm *really* aging myself here...) - Speaking on the phone, back when Floppy Drives were de rigueur; "OK go ahead and insert the MS-Dos disk into the drive, then close the door." Sounds of low fumbling as disk is inserted, suddenly phone set down on the counter, rapidly receding steps away, the sound of a slam, approaching steps.... "OK - door is closed!"
Oh how I would have misused that one.
"insert the disk, close the door and drop your pants...".... etc.

Feb 13, 2021 at 12:41 PM Post #71,655 of 152,048

My mother is a teacher, and one time she was having a hard time starting her computer. I had to drive 60km only to plug in the power cable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back