Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Feb 12, 2021 at 12:51 PM Post #71,611 of 154,344
There was a note on Roon's change log page stating the importance of updating Roon Remote devices prior to updating the Core. Maybe this had something to do with your issue??

Hmmm, Roon managed the whole upgrade so if it messed up.......

And today Core claims no internet connectivity - whilst at the same time taking me to my Roon account form the Core link. Ditto for radio. Ditto for Qobuz.

I've bugged it with support. Who asked me if I had rebooted to fix it. My report included screen shots of the uptime for the NUC and for Core, 15 and 7 secs respectively.

I know support can be a crap job, but I despair sometimes........

Feb 12, 2021 at 1:03 PM Post #71,612 of 154,344
Well, yes. In general I try to purchase products that don’t provide a Schiit-ton of features I don’t intend to use, but if all else fails, that’s what I will probably end up doing.

The Freya + price is less than a number of passive XLR preamps even with all the extra features. I could not find what was inside those expensive passive preamps that would warrant their price. I got a Freya S expecting to use it in passive mode but now use it almost exclusively in the 4X mode because it sounds better to me.

Last edited:
Feb 12, 2021 at 1:14 PM Post #71,613 of 154,344
Hmmm, Roon managed the whole upgrade so if it messed up.......

And today Core claims no internet connectivity - whilst at the same time taking me to my Roon account form the Core link. Ditto for radio. Ditto for Qobuz.

I've bugged it with support. Who asked me if I had rebooted to fix it. My report included screen shots of the uptime for the NUC and for Core, 15 and 7 secs respectively.

I know support can be a crap job, but I despair sometimes........
I had an issue this morning where I could not log into my company's VPN from my laptop. I contacted IT support and the first thing out of their mouth was "Please reboot." It seems to be the default response from IT. By the way, rebooting had no effect on the issue as it was their VPN server which had crashed. :)

Feb 12, 2021 at 2:01 PM Post #71,614 of 154,344
I had an issue this morning where I could not log into my company's VPN from my laptop. I contacted IT support and the first thing out of their mouth was "Please reboot." It seems to be the default response from IT. By the way, rebooting had no effect on the issue as it was their VPN server which had crashed. :)

The IT Crowd had it right!!!! :)

Feb 12, 2021 at 4:35 PM Post #71,615 of 154,344
Also enjoying Roon 1.8. I was also "asked" to re-enter my Roon and Streaming Services Credentials, running Server on a Mac Mini Server.
To my ears it sounds better, but will need copious amounts of Space Dust IPA to confirm.....
Screen Shot 2021-02-12 at 1.32.15 PM.png

Feb 12, 2021 at 5:13 PM Post #71,616 of 154,344
Feb 12, 2021 at 5:27 PM Post #71,618 of 154,344
I’ve been looking around, and it seems like the market for XLR passive preamps is woefully underserved. Schiit should make a balanced SYS with a stepped attenuator for volume—which I guess is just the passive portion of the Freya units. Call it Sysiphus.
Can't call it Sisyphus, he was Greek. Besides, I don't think anyone from a Nordic country would put up with rolling a rock around, even if ordained by the gods. Much to futile an effort for such practical people.

Feb 12, 2021 at 5:33 PM Post #71,619 of 154,344
Also enjoying Roon 1.8. I was also "asked" to re-enter my Roon and Streaming Services Credentials, running Server on a Mac Mini Server.
To my ears it sounds better, but will need copious amounts of Space Dust IPA to confirm.....
Screen Shot 2021-02-12 at 1.32.15 PM.png

Is that the Space Needle to the left of the six pack of Space Dust?

Feb 12, 2021 at 5:43 PM Post #71,620 of 154,344
Is that the Space Needle to the left of the six pack of Space Dust?
Yup! I don't live up there, I'm further south, small town in SW Washington, nicely away from the crowds ..... Elysian and my wife's dog treat company (4Legz) were discussing a co-branding deal before covid, still may happen. In any case, seriously cool folks make it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back