Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Oct 6, 2020 at 10:23 PM Post #65,434 of 152,211
on a positive note, Asgard 3's seem to be shipping again (at least starting to clear the backorders)
Yep, mine shipped last Friday. Gotta thank Schiit for getting parts and production started earlier than expected. I guess I got lucky on the queue order because I didn't order mine till mid Sep.

Oct 6, 2020 at 11:31 PM Post #65,435 of 152,211
I'm waiting on the aliens to arrive and enslave us. Given our ability to handle crises, this shouldn't take more than 4 minutes.

LOL!

They're probably waiting on a vaccine, especially after what happened to the Martians a century ago. :grimacing:

Last edited:
Oct 7, 2020 at 12:51 AM Post #65,436 of 152,211
I'm waiting on the aliens to arrive and enslave us. Given our ability to handle crises, this shouldn't take more than 4 minutes.

I think aliens have pretty much written us off, so we should be safe. :unamused:

Oct 7, 2020 at 6:35 AM Post #65,443 of 152,211
@Jason Stoddard, I recently contacted your customer support to see if they had any info about whether any of your DACs would support the upcoming PlayStation 5. They told me they were not sure as none of your current DACs work with the PS4 over USB. The last one that did was the Fulla 2. The reason is that the PS4 only supports the ancient UAC1 protocol and simply refuses to connect to any UAC2 DACs.

As you know, Sony decided to eliminate the optical output on the PS5 which leaves USB as the only option for DAC manufacturers. A few headset manufacturers have announced that their products will work with the PS5 over USB, but no DAC manufacturers have said so. This leaves a lot of people who use their own headphone and speaker amps in limbo.

Would you consider offering a custom firmware version of any of your DACs if it turns out that the PS5 only supports the UAC1 protocol?

There is a very significant number of audio enthusiasts that also game on consoles and it would be a shame if we had to resort to using notoriously unreliable and quality-reducing HDMI audio splitters to get the signal to our DACs.

Oct 7, 2020 at 6:54 AM Post #65,444 of 152,211
@Jason Stoddard, I recently contacted your customer support to see if they had any info about whether any of your DACs would support the upcoming PlayStation 5. They told me they were not sure as none of your current DACs work with the PS4 over USB. The last one that did was the Fulla 2. The reason is that the PS4 only supports the ancient UAC1 protocol and simply refuses to connect to any UAC2 DACs.

As you know, Sony decided to eliminate the optical output on the PS5 which leaves USB as the only option for DAC manufacturers. A few headset manufacturers have announced that their products will work with the PS5 over USB, but no DAC manufacturers have said so. This leaves a lot of people who use their own headphone and speaker amps in limbo.

Would you consider offering a custom firmware version of any of your DACs if it turns out that the PS5 only supports the UAC1 protocol?

There is a very significant number of audio enthusiasts that also game on consoles and it would be a shame if we had to resort to using notoriously unreliable and quality-reducing HDMI audio splitters to get the signal to our DACs.

I had my old Bifrost connected to my television via optical, that way you get all your sounds through the Bifrost. I recommend doing that instead of splitters and such. No complaints about audio quality.

Oct 7, 2020 at 7:13 AM Post #65,445 of 152,211
I had my old Bifrost connected to my television via optical, that way you get all your sounds through the Bifrost. I recommend doing that instead of splitters and such. No complaints about audio quality.
That is a good workaround except my monitor does not have an optical out. It has a headphone/speaker out which is functional but has a high noise floor.

Your approach works, but your TV still has to split the HDMI audio before spitting it out via optical. It is probably way better than those no-name HDMI audio splitters, but probably not as jitter-free as a direct USB connection to a DAC. I know we are splitting hairs here, but that’s what these forums are for. :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back