Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Oct 7, 2020 at 11:00 AM Post #65,461 of 155,069
Schiit, being made in the USA, uses American Customary watts, volts and amps. None of those pesky metric watts, those are for car audio and radio transmitters.

Oct 7, 2020 at 11:03 AM Post #65,462 of 155,069
Schiit, being made in the USA, uses American Customary watts, volts and amps. None of those pesky metric watts, those are for car audio and radio transmitters.

I suppose the alternative would be to rate the output in horsepower. (1hp = 745.7 watts)

Oct 7, 2020 at 11:28 AM Post #65,463 of 155,069
@Jason Stoddard, I recently contacted your customer support to see if they had any info about whether any of your DACs would support the upcoming PlayStation 5. They told me they were not sure as none of your current DACs work with the PS4 over USB. The last one that did was the Fulla 2. The reason is that the PS4 only supports the ancient UAC1 protocol and simply refuses to connect to any UAC2 DACs.

As you know, Sony decided to eliminate the optical output on the PS5 which leaves USB as the only option for DAC manufacturers. A few headset manufacturers have announced that their products will work with the PS5 over USB, but no DAC manufacturers have said so. This leaves a lot of people who use their own headphone and speaker amps in limbo.

Would you consider offering a custom firmware version of any of your DACs if it turns out that the PS5 only supports the UAC1 protocol?

There is a very significant number of audio enthusiasts that also game on consoles and it would be a shame if we had to resort to using notoriously unreliable and quality-reducing HDMI audio splitters to get the signal to our DACs.
Game audio is usually 48k anyway so if all else fails, an old usb to s/pdif converter that runs on UAC1 should to the trick

Oct 7, 2020 at 12:55 PM Post #65,465 of 155,069
Uh, no.

Good question. The only answer I have is because it's always been that way. The Navy does use Nautical Miles when the distances are large, like moving a ship across a sea, but always yards for ranging and targeting.
Probably form gunnery, where yards was always the measure.

Oct 7, 2020 at 1:20 PM Post #65,471 of 155,069
OK, to the "what headphones do they use on Submarines" question, I reached out to a couple of my ex-shipmates who were Sonar Techs. The US Navy issue cans were made by Electra Voice to a mil spec with very wide frequency response (5Hz to 40Khz) and apparently were the best performing but were pretty uncomfortable (known as "skull crushers") and a similar set made by a company called David Clark that were more comfortable. The amplifier built into the sonar monitoring gear was custom built to support the mil-spec impedance - but they don't remember what that was. Guys had the ability to use whatever headphone they liked the most, and the overwhelming non-issue favorite was the Bose Aviator. One guy said they also tried Sennheiser and Sony Studio cans but they were too fragile. The system was all single-ended, by the way.

Last edited:
Oct 7, 2020 at 1:34 PM Post #65,473 of 155,069
Monophonic too? Or is that classified?
Apparently there are systems that are mono and systems that are stereo. Not every boat was the same.

Oct 7, 2020 at 1:58 PM Post #65,474 of 155,069
OK, to the "what headphones do they use on Submarines" question, I reached out to a couple of my ex-shipmates who were Sonar Techs. The US Navy issue cans were made by Electra Voice to a mil spec with very wide frequency response (5Hz to 40Khz) and apparently were the best performing but were pretty uncomfortable (known as "skull crushers") and a similar set made by a company called David Clark that were more comfortable. The amplifier built into the sonar monitoring gear was custom built to support the mil-spec impedance - but they don't remember what that was. Guys had the ability to use whatever headphone they liked the most, and the overwhelming non-issue favorite was the Bose Aviator. One guy said they also tried Sennheiser and Sony Studio cans but they were too fragile. The system was all single-ended, by the way.
Very interesting stuff. Thanks for following up on this @Ableza. Didn't know my post would start a long conversation on submarines but it's always good to hear first hand experiences.

Oct 7, 2020 at 2:03 PM Post #65,475 of 155,069
A less cynical part of the theory addresses some other really expensive gear (as opposed to uber-expensive), we talked specifically about Audio Note Japan. I envision gear like this in a dedicated listening room with only a couple of chairs. There is a very simple system and each component has its own pedestal for display (and perhaps its own lighting). All the media is in a different room so as not to disrupt the decor or acoustics. It would almost be a shrine. I used to want something like that, but now with the way I listen to music, I'm not sure I'd enjoy it. Perhaps someday, though. I'd really like to have a dedicated, purpose-built room for two-channel at least once in my life.

I'm new here, so forgive me - but couldn't resist responding to this Schiit. My intent is not to ridicule, disparage, insult or otherwise be disrespectful.

I can't speak for the uber-wealthy, nor am I qualified to. But let's all agree that High-end audio is a niche.

Within that niche are sub-niches. My main system, with the exception of the TT (Nottingham Analogue Studio), is all Audio Note UK (including the IC's but not power cables).

My listening room is neither a shrine nor my audio gear uber-expensive (a relative term) or have display pedestals. My first exposure to Audio Note was around 2005.
I've personally met Peter Qvortrup and have communicated with him on numerous occasions and still do. Percentage wise, the U.S. represent a very small market segment for Audio Note UK. Their biggest market is Southeast Asia, Europe and the U.K. I think it's safe to say that Audio Note UK, like all high-end audio manufacturers are targeting a certain demographic. That's their choice.

Having said that, we must have respect for each others tastes and our ability and willingness to support that taste, irrespective of how inexpensive or uber-expensive our tastes happen to be. Not everyone that is wealthy is ostentatious.

Whether it be low-fi, Mid-fi or High-end - let's not judge others. When judging others, you are in effect judging yourself. We should all avoid jealousy, comparison and judgement. Neither should we be measuring others by their financial success or lack thereof. By the same token, we should not be comparing or measuring ourselves against someone else's abilities. Therein lies low self-esteem.

After all --it's their money. We are all free to spend our money as we see fit and are not required to justify our expenditures beyond ourselves or if married our spouses.

Aside: I discovered Schiit Audio as a result of looking for a reasonably priced DAC. I respect both Jason Stoddard and Mike Moffat's expertise, lack of pretense and the Schiit Audio company's mission and philosophy to offer well designed, affordable audio gear made in the U.S.

Let's hope the founder's and their company, continue to avoid the pitfalls of the audio industry, lest we find ourselves one day criticizing Schiit Audio for betraying their raison d'etre.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back