Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Oct 7, 2020 at 7:12 PM Post #65,491 of 154,167
Wasn't there supposed to be a Schiitrmeet today? I had set a schedule for every 3 weeks, or was it every 3rd Wednesday? Didn't see anything from Jason so I'm guessing I screwed up and it's every 3rd Wednesday. Can someone corroborate? Thanks!

Oct 7, 2020 at 7:41 PM Post #65,493 of 154,167
Not entirely Schiit related but I just took delivery of and hooked up a Bluesound Node 2i. It is hooked up to a Modi Multibit thru spdif/coax.

I bought it because Bluesound recently knocked $100 off the price but I guess I'll be the sucker when the Node 3 is announced next month for another $100 less.

Anyway, it's a moderately-priced certified Roon endpoint (that may be a bigger deal than I originally thought https://twitteringmachines.com/roon-changes-support-for-uncertified-roon-ready-devices/ ) and it also works nicely as a Spotify endpoint which make my wife very happy.

It sounds great thru the Modi and was stupid easy to set up. I'll post additional thoughts as they come up but as of today, I like.

I love my Node 2i. It’s hooked up via coax to my DAC (not Schiit, alas). Stream from Tidal and Qobuz as well as a network share for my local hires files. The bluesound app is good enough that I feel no need to upgrade to Roon.

if the speculative Node 3 has USB out then I may upgrade.

Oct 7, 2020 at 7:43 PM Post #65,494 of 154,167
Not entirely Schiit related but I just took delivery of and hooked up a Bluesound Node 2i. It is hooked up to a Modi Multibit thru spdif/coax.

I bought it because Bluesound recently knocked $100 off the price but I guess I'll be the sucker when the Node 3 is announced next month for another $100 less.

Anyway, it's a moderately-priced certified Roon endpoint (that may be a bigger deal than I originally thought https://twitteringmachines.com/roon-changes-support-for-uncertified-roon-ready-devices/ ) and it also works nicely as a Spotify endpoint which make my wife very happy.

It sounds great thru the Modi and was stupid easy to set up. I'll post additional thoughts as they come up but as of today, I like.

As long as your device is listed here (which it is), you're safe. I'm an owner of a Roon Ready uncertified device. Only 1% of Roon Ready devices fall under this category. I've been following this crap fest from the first announcement. The blow back from the 1%ers is pretty impressive. If go to the roon labs community, you can watch the schit show unfold. It's a fun read. Danny Dulai, the COO is most certainly not a marketing guy--he admits as much. I'd recommend whiskey to accompany said reading.

Oct 7, 2020 at 7:58 PM Post #65,495 of 154,167
Oct 7, 2020 at 8:22 PM Post #65,497 of 154,167
Amen, let’s all be patient grasshoppers. Good things come to those who wait.
There’s a VERY tasteless scene in Mel Brooks’ History Of The World, Part 1. And it came to mind with this phrase. :ksc75smile:
...of course I’d also like a new shiny toy by the new year. Meh. I picked this up instead...
15F6F97B-1334-4F07-83A5-12DE6FB6B352.jpeg

Oct 7, 2020 at 8:24 PM Post #65,499 of 154,167
There’s a VERY tasteless scene in Mel Brooks’ History Of The World, Part 1. And it came to mind with this phrase. :ksc75smile:
...of course I’d also like a new shiny toy by the new year. Meh. I picked this up instead...
15F6F97B-1334-4F07-83A5-12DE6FB6B352.jpeg
Is that a gas powered horn-loaded speaker?

Oct 7, 2020 at 8:31 PM Post #65,500 of 154,167
Is that a gas powered horn-loaded speaker?
Heh. I like that imagery! It’s for my spouse. I use the chainsaw. She shreds the branches. We are the weekend warrior foresters!

Oct 7, 2020 at 9:02 PM Post #65,501 of 154,167
Question about the BNC input connections on Schiit DACs. I see on Schiit's site, they are listed as BNC SPDIf. Can they receive audio from the BNC out of the PI2AES? I ask, because the PI2AES is listed as having a BNC AES output. Is there a difference?
It works fine. There is no difference in the protocol, just the physical connection.

Oct 7, 2020 at 9:08 PM Post #65,502 of 154,167
I love my Node 2i. It’s hooked up via coax to my DAC (not Schiit, alas). Stream from Tidal and Qobuz as well as a network share for my local hires files. The bluesound app is good enough that I feel no need to upgrade to Roon.

if the speculative Node 3 has USB out then I may upgrade.

Scratching my head over the drop in price for the Node 2i. They sure want to move inventory for some reason.

Maybe there *is* a Node 3 in the offing. Just in time for the holidays? USB support would be nice, as would Chromecast, so that they'll meet John Darko's Holy Trinity threshold, get a great review, and sell oodles of the new product. Wonder if that would require a slightly more powerful processor.

Last edited:
Oct 7, 2020 at 9:25 PM Post #65,503 of 154,167
Heh. I like that imagery! It’s for my spouse. I use the chainsaw. She shreds the branches. We are the weekend warrior foresters!
I'm self-quoting myself (sorry). Before I creep off to bed... Gasoline powered horn speakers?! Like these nightmare devices from the Cold War...

cold-war-V8-air-raid-siren.jpg

Oct 7, 2020 at 10:33 PM Post #65,504 of 154,167
Question about the BNC input connections on Schiit DACs. I see on Schiit's site, they are listed as BNC SPDIf. Can they receive audio from the BNC out of the PI2AES? I ask, because the PI2AES is listed as having a BNC AES output. Is there a difference?
Check out the AES3 vs S/PDIF comparison table in https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S/PDIF. TL; DR It works. AES3 uses higher voltages, but it's all digital so what matters is the signal encoding, which is the same. I've used Pi2AES with AES balanced and BNC with a variety of DACs, never any problem. If you are still worried, I can try to dig out a BNC S/PDIF cable to connect my Pi2AES to my Yggdrasil to test; they are connected with AES XLR currently but I may have the BNC-terminated coax in my digital cable storage box.

Oct 7, 2020 at 10:39 PM Post #65,505 of 154,167
Scratching my head over the drop in price for the Node 2i. They sure want to move inventory for some reason.

Maybe there *is* a Node 3 in the offing. Just in time for the holidays? USB support would be nice, as would Chromecast, so that they'll meet John Darko's Holy Trinity threshold, get a great review, and sell oodles of the new product. Wonder if that would require a slightly more powerful processor.
Whether or not there's a new model on the way I'm happy with my purchase. I fabricated the "Node 3" idea based solely on the price drop. Kind of like a few months ago when Kef dropped the price of most of their models to, I assume, get rid of inventory ahead of the LS50/LS50W "Meta" launch.

I understand Darko's "Holy Trinity" thinking, but I haven't found a need yet for Chromecast based on my listening habits. Still, his video review of the Powernode 2i was a big influence on me buying the Node 2i.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back