Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Oct 8, 2020 at 2:12 PM Post #65,522 of 151,420
Oct 8, 2020 at 2:55 PM Post #65,523 of 151,420
Nothing surprises me with console manufacturers. PS4 also had USB 3.1 ports and yet only supported UAC1. Maybe it’s some kind of security measure to prevent people hacking the console.
On the other hand, Microsoft only added UAC2 support to Windows a decade after the standard was established so maybe it’s just not a priority for the rest of the world.
PS4 uses modified modified FreeBSD as its operating system, it's possible that FreeBSD didn't support UAC2 at the time SP$ software was developed and Sony didn't bother to incorporate it later because why bother

Oct 8, 2020 at 3:15 PM Post #65,524 of 151,420
Not entirely Schiit related but I just took delivery of and hooked up a Bluesound Node 2i. It is hooked up to a Modi Multibit thru spdif/coax.

I bought it because Bluesound recently knocked $100 off the price but I guess I'll be the sucker when the Node 3 is announced next month for another $100 less.

Anyway, it's a moderately-priced certified Roon endpoint (that may be a bigger deal than I originally thought https://twitteringmachines.com/roon-changes-support-for-uncertified-roon-ready-devices/ ) and it also works nicely as a Spotify endpoint which make my wife very happy.

It sounds great thru the Modi and was stupid easy to set up. I'll post additional thoughts as they come up but as of today, I like.
"Not entirely Schiit-related" indeed, and you've been here long enough to know better. BBQ, scotch/ beer, Schiit, cats. In that order of importance. Other topics are out-of-bounds.

Oct 8, 2020 at 3:17 PM Post #65,525 of 151,420
Back when I ran a car audio shop I thought it would be cool to advertise amplifier power in Hp (since car audio folks are obsessed with power ratings) until I realized that 1000 watts sounds a lot more impressive than 1.35 Hp. :)
You beat me to it. I agree, I don't want my manly 160W monoblocks thought of as 0.2hp monoblocks. Of course, 546 btu/hr monoblocks doesn't sound bad...

Oct 8, 2020 at 3:20 PM Post #65,527 of 151,420
Heh. I like that imagery! It’s for my spouse. I use the chainsaw. She shreds the branches. We are the weekend warrior foresters!
I'm glad you included that part in red above. For a minute I thought we were getting a glimpse that scene from Fargo.

Oct 8, 2020 at 3:33 PM Post #65,529 of 151,420
BBQ, scotch/ beer, Schiit, cats. In that order of importance. Other topics are out-of-bounds.

That's news to me but I'm in.

IMG_20181130_180806_302.jpg

Oct 8, 2020 at 3:40 PM Post #65,531 of 151,420
PS4 uses modified modified FreeBSD as its operating system, it's possible that FreeBSD didn't support UAC2 at the time SP$ software was developed and Sony didn't bother to incorporate it later because why bother
I had no idea that this was the case. It kind of makes sense that they did not put a big emphasis on adding this feature as UAC2-compatible DACs were not really commonplace when PS4 was being developed in the early 2010s.

Oct 8, 2020 at 4:27 PM Post #65,532 of 151,420
As long as your device is listed here (which it is), you're safe. I'm an owner of a Roon Ready uncertified device. Only 1% of Roon Ready devices fall under this category. I've been following this crap fest from the first announcement. The blow back from the 1%ers is pretty impressive. If go to the roon labs community, you can watch the schit show unfold. It's a fun read. Danny Dulai, the COO is most certainly not a marketing guy--he admits as much. I'd recommend whiskey to accompany said reading.

I was unaware of this furore until I saw this post. As a Roon lifetime user and as someone who spent 20+ years dealing with certification programs (similar to, but in a different field) Danny and his team are dead wrong in the way they are handling this [Aside, I have only waded through a percentage of the voluminous debate, so I may have missed some important nuance of wheat amongst the chaff)

First and foremost, this is not an issue that should be visible to or affect an end user. In any way, shape or form. If a vendor is abusing IP ,or making false claims then you take the problem to the source. They appear reluctant to do that (and yeah, I read all the 'poor small company with no resources' stuff), for reasons that are unclear. I was also involved in setting up the programs to certify conformance for other groups (you might have heard of a couple, Linux and Bluetooh) and one of the conversations we had early on with any potential program was ' how will you enforce this?'. If they weren't sure we would discuss options. After that, if they were not 100% confident that that they would carry out enforcement, then we recommended against such a program.

Confidence is the lifeblood of certification programs. If it doesn't do what it says on the the can, then the organization that cares, HAS to pursue the problem to resolution. If confidence is eroded then the brand, and the certification is worthless. Roon need some serious business/marketing skills - or need to deploy them. This is shambles of biblical proportions.

Oct 8, 2020 at 5:11 PM Post #65,534 of 151,420
To my knowledge Paganini never composed an opera.
That was part of the dialogue: the Chief of the Boat was saying it was Pavarotti while Jonesy was saying it was Paganini.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back