Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Oct 5, 2020 at 1:31 PM Post #65,401 of 150,303
What system accomplishes that? Either the music files are in the cloud, on your phone, or on a server that you are connected to. How can you possibly serve music files to a phone on a different network unless the files are in the cloud?

Precisely: You can’t. But what is the advantage of doing that if you have to be connected to the same WiFi network? It’s as good as using your computer, unless your WiFi network is so powerful it reaches your work place or whatever place you need to go to and want to listen to your music on the way.

Oct 5, 2020 at 1:56 PM Post #65,402 of 150,303
What system accomplishes that? Either the music files are in the cloud, on your phone, or on a server that you are connected to. How can you possibly serve music files to a phone on a different network unless the files are in the cloud?

It's feasible if you can VPN back to your home network with enough reliability and bandwidth. Then your server would have what would appear to be a local route to your phone. But generally it's not easy even when feasible, and would be expensive (especially if your phone is using cellular data rather than sitting on a wifi network elsewhere). That's why Darko is drawn to the Plex solution to provide access to only those albums that aren't available on any streaming service when he's out and about.

Last edited:
Oct 5, 2020 at 2:03 PM Post #65,403 of 150,303
I sometimes use my phone for remote control on my home network, but never listen to my phone while at home. If I want to listen to something on my phone while away from home I either copy it to my phone, or use Roon to stream from Qobuz if I'm on some other wifi that will allow that. But generally, I only listen using the phone while in airports and on airplanes.

Oct 5, 2020 at 2:11 PM Post #65,404 of 150,303
I sometimes use my phone for remote control on my home network, but never listen to my phone while at home. If I want to listen to something on my phone while away from home I either copy it to my phone, or use Roon to stream from Qobuz if I'm on some other wifi that will allow that. But generally, I only listen using the phone while in airports and on airplanes.
Being a bit of a dinosaur, I use an iPod :beyersmile:
I even upgraded my 12 year old device with an SSD
It has sentimental value as it was a present from my wife, but it sounds great with little portable Sennheiser headphones..
I also use it in the car, where it sounds very good.
I have about 1200 albums on the iPod, saved as ALAC lossless files.

Last edited:
Oct 5, 2020 at 2:11 PM Post #65,405 of 150,303

I think there are a few false assumptions in the thread:

* Roon EXPLICITLY does Not allow you to take music beyond your home environment (it's a much bemoaned item on the forums). If you stream form e.g. Qobuz outside the home, I'd venture to suggest that you are doing so directly form Qobuz, not via Roon.

* Plex and PlexAmp DOES allow you to take your home based music and stream to to your phone/car/Carplay environment. It was also laughably easy to set up (thanks Roy!)

IMHO the cloud / local storage is a side issue. If it looks like a file/folder/directory it's accessible in the same way. Latency can be an issue, but not availability.

Cheers

Oct 5, 2020 at 2:19 PM Post #65,407 of 150,303
I think there are a few false assumptions in the thread:

* Roon EXPLICITLY does Not allow you to take music beyond your home environment (it's a much bemoaned item on the forums). If you stream form e.g. Qobuz outside the home, I'd venture to suggest that you are doing so directly form Qobuz, not via Roon.

* Plex and PlexAmp DOES allow you to take your home based music and stream to to your phone/car/Carplay environment. It was also laughably easy to set up (thanks Roy!)

IMHO the cloud / local storage is a side issue. If it looks like a file/folder/directory it's accessible in the same way. Latency can be an issue, but not availability.

Cheers
Thanks for the explanation @golfbravobravo.
It all sounds far too complicated for an old technophobe like me :beyersmile:

Oct 5, 2020 at 2:35 PM Post #65,408 of 150,303

Plex server does that. The Plex app can connect to your Plex media server and stream your local music files (and videos) to a phone or even another computer via the Internet. Of course that requires you to open a port and allow access to the media server from outside your home network. :wink:

Last edited:
Oct 5, 2020 at 2:41 PM Post #65,409 of 150,303

Oh, I couldn't survive the grocery store without music.

Oct 5, 2020 at 2:52 PM Post #65,410 of 150,303
Yep. Here's a video describing Plex/Plexamp. Yes, I'm a fan boy.

This is a nifty service. Although I just download my favorite non-streaming albums to my phone and play it back through Apple Music (I do not subscribe to Apple Music).
I think it is important to also state that if you’re a fan of Tom Waits, you should buy all the original release CDs so you don’t have to listen to the new, abysmal, remasters.

Oct 5, 2020 at 3:31 PM Post #65,411 of 150,303
Total non-sequitur but I’ve been using Audirvana for almost one year now, completely oblivious as to the fact that it’s got an app that lets you use your phone as a remote. I’ve just found out because my father was looking to see if they had Audirvana for iOS as well. Better late than never, I guess. Gonna give it a spin when I’m back home.
I've been using the remote app on my Ipad Pro for about a year. Works great. Like to turn my monitor off and kick back in my chair, don't have to be close to the computer. Very convenient.

Oct 5, 2020 at 5:23 PM Post #65,412 of 150,303
Even if you aren’t connected to the same WiFi line as your computer? As that would effectively defeat the purpose.
You'd have to set up a VPN for that but yeah

Oct 5, 2020 at 5:55 PM Post #65,413 of 150,303
Finally, my Asgard 3 arrived. First impressions:
-It's heavier than it looks. A good thing, if you ask me.
-It does not run as warm as it's made out to be. My Vali 2 runs slightly warmer.
-As far as I can tell, it's less warm than the Vali 2 (with Amperex PQ 6922). Small but noticeable. On the other end of the frequency spectrum, it's has slightly more treble without being bright. Midrange is slightly less forward than Vali 2 (at least with the 6XX - which I think is a good thing, more to my preference).
-Two aspects clearly favor the Asgard 3: soundstage and detail retrieval. Soundstage is ever so slightly wider but noticeably deeper. Details stand out more, details that I'd glossed over with the Vali 2. They were still present on the Vali 2 but did not stand out as on the Asgard 3. When I went back to the Vali 2, the same details were like: "Oh, there you are. Wonder why I haven't heard you before. Hmm."

Oh, yeah, the pot. Smooth! What a difference compared to the Vali 2 pot.

Need more time with the Asgard 3 but needless to say, I'm very happy with it.
IMG_20201005_163921198.jpg

Last edited:
Oct 6, 2020 at 2:30 AM Post #65,415 of 150,303
Been using Subsonic for years. Stream from home server. Got in when it was a one time payment, now $1 per month. Default transcoder is to mp3, you can configure for flac and other formats. Apps for many device types
That brings back memories of decades (feels like that at least) ago Twonky and Subsonic as media server.
twonky_logo.png subsonic_logo.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back