Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Oct 5, 2020 at 5:57 AM Post #65,386 of 148,975
When I look at the rear panel of that X1100 I totally understand what Jason and Mike mean with buzzword compliancy.
  1. Xvid
  2. Dolby audio
  3. DTS-HD
  4. WiFi
  5. Java
  6. DVD
  7. Bluetooth
  8. Blu-ray disc
  9. Blu-ray 3D
  10. USB
  11. HDMI
  12. and more I don't recognize
It hardly fits the box

Last edited:
Oct 5, 2020 at 6:46 AM Post #65,387 of 148,975
Total non-sequitur but I’ve been using Audirvana for almost one year now, completely oblivious as to the fact that it’s got an app that lets you use your phone as a remote. I’ve just found out because my father was looking to see if they had Audirvana for iOS as well. Better late than never, I guess. Gonna give it a spin when I’m back home.

Oct 5, 2020 at 7:58 AM Post #65,388 of 148,975
When I look at the rear panel of that X1100 I totally understand what Jason and Mike mean with buzzword compliancy.
  1. Xvid
  2. Dolby audio
  3. DTS-HD
  4. WiFi
  5. Java
  6. DVD
  7. Bluetooth
  8. Blu-ray disc
  9. Blu-ray 3D
  10. USB
  11. HDMI
  12. and more I don't recognize
It hardly fits the box

To be fair, X1100 is a blu-ray player, and it would be a pretty poor one without most of those.

Oct 5, 2020 at 8:15 AM Post #65,389 of 148,975
Total non-sequitur but I’ve been using Audirvana for almost one year now, completely oblivious as to the fact that it’s got an app that lets you use your phone as a remote. I’ve just found out because my father was looking to see if they had Audirvana for iOS as well. Better late than never, I guess. Gonna give it a spin when I’m back home.

I would love it if the remote app would allow you to stream from your Mac to your phone.

Oct 5, 2020 at 8:36 AM Post #65,391 of 148,975
The Sony UBP-X800 4K Ultra Blu-ray player has a coax SPDIF out so can be used as a transport. It plays CD, DVD AUDIO, SACD and DSD files so the master’s advice holds =).

[edit] Personally I’m waiting for the Schiit transport.
Like almost every CD player has a digital out but are not transports.

Oct 5, 2020 at 9:25 AM Post #65,394 of 148,975
Oct 5, 2020 at 10:23 AM Post #65,395 of 148,975
Wouldn’t the sound quality still be as good as your phone’s DAC and output stage plus earbuds? Or is it a matter of storage space?

It would still be convenient to listen to your Mac's library without having to put copies on the phone.

Oct 5, 2020 at 12:24 PM Post #65,396 of 148,975
I expect that if you ask orders@schiit.com, they'd be fine with adding an additional tonearm or two to a Sol order, or selling a couple if you already own a Sol. I just don't think that we'll be adding a separate order page for the near future, so we can better manage production.
Well maybe take down the toilet paper or the socks?

My reading of Jason's comment was less that "We have too many products in production" but more managing how many they have to make and store. If it is one tone arm per Sol, you just make them at a ratio of 1:1. If you are allowing for people to buy a lot of extra tone arms, well... how many extra tone arms do you need to stock and have lying around? If inventory is starting to run low of both and you get a few orders for tone arms and a few orders for Sols that cannot all be fulfilled, which gets priority in the remaining stock?

I can see the simplicity of not having extra tone arms be a regular thing, but at least they are willing to offer it if you inquire about it.

Oct 5, 2020 at 1:06 PM Post #65,399 of 148,975
Even if you aren’t connected to the same WiFi line as your computer? As that would effectively defeat the purpose.
What system accomplishes that? Either the music files are in the cloud, on your phone, or on a server that you are connected to. How can you possibly serve music files to a phone on a different network unless the files are in the cloud?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back